You guys really like to over complicate things.

Options

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Just here to agree with the OP. :drinker:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I friend requested some of you that posted things I agree with on here...just in case you see it in your requests and wonder who the hell I am.

xoxo

tumblr_li50icsx8c1qdlkgg.giftumblr_ll45hrHy3u1qgx57t.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Also for anyone claiming that this won't work.

This was me when I started tracking my calories.
    f01f9d47406c076378a63c7407aacbd7.png

And this was just 3 months later after eating only 300 calories under my maintenance a day and continuing to lift weights the way I always had.
    5868305b1e2f40c19b8f38aa84dadedb.png

It really is simple guys, I only did cardio 3 times between those pictures on days I went over my calories.

Excellent job! It worked nicely for you.

Too bad I'm not a dude with lots of testosterone.

I was going to lecture you about some stuff, but I'm starting to believe you cannot possibly put yourself in someone else's shoes for even a moment.

I'm not a dude with lots of testosterone. I've been lifting about 3.5 months, doing cardio only occasionally and eating between a 15-20% cut from my TDEE (so around 1700, sometimes more sometimes less.). My results are inline with his. Would you find those more valid or...?

My wife is 40, a cancer survivor and has undergone chemotherapy. If you know anything about chem then you know it will destroy your body composition and metabolism. She's had amazing success while simply eating at a small deficit, and strength training with some cardio. Again, either do or don't. The process is quite simple. It's motivation and determination that are difficult.

I think you forgot this

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Time is the great equalizer. We've seen this play before.

I believe this falls under the category of 'Post-Adolescent Idealistic Phase' :laugh:

From Urban Dictionary:
    The time after the pointless teen years in which a young person develops what are called "standards" and "morals." It is a time in which eyes are opened and "The Truth" suddenly becomes clear.

Usually beginning when one enters college, said young person reads deep literature, searches for the meaning of life, and listens to college radio, all the while secretly becoming even more confused than when he/she was an lame 16 year old.

The Post-Adolescent Idealistic Phase usually entails naive 18-20something year olds upholding hopeful, yet unrealistic morals. Often, utopian dreams can be confused for "The Truth."

After the phase has ended, the young person must beware becoming highly hypocritical and/or jaded once life has slapped them around a bit.
    "Is Josh giving you **** because he going through his post-adolescent idealistic phase?"
    Dionne on Josh, "Clueless"
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

I believe this falls under the category of 'Post-Adolescent Idealistic Phase' :laugh:

From Urban Dictionary:
    The time after the pointless teen years in which a young person develops what are called "standards" and "morals." It is a time in which eyes are opened and "The Truth" suddenly becomes clear.

Usually beginning when one enters college, said young person reads deep literature, searches for the meaning of life, and listens to college radio, all the while secretly becoming even more confused than when he/she was an lame 16 year old.

The Post-Adolescent Idealistic Phase usually entails naive 18-20something year olds upholding hopeful, yet unrealistic morals. Often, utopian dreams can be confused for "The Truth."

After the phase has ended, the young person must beware becoming highly hypocritical and/or jaded once life has slapped them around a bit.
    "Is Josh giving you **** because he going through his post-adolescent idealistic phase?"

I don't think OP was claiming to have all the answers at all. But this is literally the only answer to weight loss or gain in individuals that don't have medical issues.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

From Urban Dictionary:

:laugh: Win! :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

From Urban Dictionary:

So...how does this make what he said incorrect?
  • Achrya
    Options

From Urban Dictionary:

My mom always said at the point where a person goes after ones age or gender in order to dismiss them, you should accept that you've reduced them to nothing but the most petty and base of justifications and leave them to cling to their (most likely) silly beliefs.

And my mom isn't her twenties, so that makes her opinions valid, amiright?
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I guess I read the OP as saying "look, don't let the complexity scare you off, and don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".

Speaking from experience, when someone starts a program, they WANT to think about it all the time, because that much focus seems like it will get you there faster. Plus a complex program needs a lot of thought. But after a while, all of that mental energy expenditure gets exhausting. So in a sense the program that is capable of being internalized as a part of your day (like brushing your teeth) is the most likely to still be around after six months. I'm a pretty good example of that; I don't eat all "clean" foods by any means, and I have weeks (like this week) where I barely get a workout in. But I can count on one hand the days I've gone materially over on calories in six months. I use the MFP method and eat back most of my exercise calories because it allows me to stay straight even in hellish 80 hour work weeks with no workout except pacing the hallways at the office. If I had to eat 99% clean AND train five days a week AND stay under on calories AND hit my macros to the T -- I'd have blown up by Memorial Day, easy. And that's without getting into meal timing, complex training modules, or embracing the fantabulous raspberry ketone.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Also for anyone claiming that this won't work.

This was me when I started tracking my calories.
    f01f9d47406c076378a63c7407aacbd7.png

And this was just 3 months later after eating only 300 calories under my maintenance a day and continuing to lift weights the way I always had.
    5868305b1e2f40c19b8f38aa84dadedb.png

It really is simple guys, I only did cardio 3 times between those pictures on days I went over my calories.

Excellent job! It worked nicely for you.

Too bad I'm not a dude with lots of testosterone.

I was going to lecture you about some stuff, but I'm starting to believe you cannot possibly put yourself in someone else's shoes for even a moment.

I'm not a dude with lots of testosterone. I've been lifting about 3.5 months, doing cardio only occasionally and eating between a 15-20% cut from my TDEE (so around 1700, sometimes more sometimes less.). My results are inline with his. Would you find those more valid or...?

My wife is 40, a cancer survivor and has undergone chemotherapy. If you know anything about chem then you know it will destroy your body composition and metabolism. She's had amazing success while simply eating at a small deficit, and strength training with some cardio. Again, either do or don't. The process is quite simple. It's motivation and determination that are difficult.

we're all gonna make it

On that we disagree.

Some do. Some don't.

meh
  • PikaKnight
    Options

From Urban Dictionary:

My mom always said at the point where a person goes after ones age or gender to dismiss them, you should accept that you've reduced them to nothing but the most petty and base of justifications and leave them to cling to their (most likely) silly beliefs.

Just want to also point out that the OP's post has nothing to do with his age so not sure why people keep derailing the topic to discuss/point out his age.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

From Urban Dictionary:

My mom always said at the point where a person goes after ones age or gender in order to dismiss them, you should accept that you've reduced them to nothing but the most petty and base of justifications and leave them to cling to their (most likely) silly beliefs.

Yep. Another form of ad hominem, i.e. when you can't attack the message, attack the messenger.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

<3
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I never say this, but ...................... ^^THIS^^ ....................

So very on the mark!
  • CandelLife
    Options
    *Chuckle* Then I see the last page here and everyone is quoting you... LOL!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Just because the principle is simple doesn't mean the practice is easy. OP is right, and anyone can spend a hot minute on MFP and find hundreds of ridiculously over-complicated 'diet plans' people follow when all they need to do is eat at a moderate deficit, get their heart rate up, and pick up some heavy things.

Or, you know, whatever, they could stop eating all grains and replace it with organic raw kale powder, because DAMN IT I'M DIFFERENT.

cat_gif_44.gif
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    The only thing I see in this thread is saying that OP is young so he doesn't know anything. I haven't seen anyone prove that he is wrong in any way, in fact everyone with success stories in this thread agree with OP.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    The only thing I see in this thread is saying that OP is young so he doesn't know anything. I haven't seen anyone prove that he is wrong in any way, in fact everyone with success stories in this thread agree with OP.

Doesn't that say enough?
  • CandelLife
    Options
    What else is funny is that you're agreeing with a statement that literally doesn't disprove anything I've said yet. Only thing it does is shows both you and him think somehow your body is "different" because you're older.

When in reality that's not how the body works, I mean sure your metabolism is much slower than mine. but you still have a maintenance for calories, and eating both below or above that you will see changes in your body of fat gains or fat loss.

You're right, and in 20 years, if you remember this post you will think you were an idiot.

Don't mind me, I'm just looking for the "LIKE" button....
  • Achrya
    Options

Doesn't that say enough?

Tells me everything I need to know, to be honest. On one hand we have people hung on the OP's age and without any real argument beyond...um. Well.

And on the other hand I see people who've lost the weight, look amazing, and have been there and done that, and say the OP is right.

Gee, I wonder which group I think has it pinned down...