You guys really like to over complicate things.

Options

Replies

• WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Man after reading the last few pages since the last time I posted I really can't believe how some of the adults in this thread are acting. It really has opened my eyes and shown me that just because someone is significantly older than me doesn't mean they are more knowledgeable.

That being said I like that I see people actually trying to help each other in this thread. As for the people saying we are trolls, yeah we like to go have fun in meaningless threads from time to time, but when it comes to fitness and nutrition I know I personally will never troll. As for the tone of the OP and some of the other posts, this was meant as a wake up call. There's so many threads of people babying each other that some of them become delusional. If you don't like the tone of the thread I guess all I can say is "too bad". Some people need something like this to push them in the right direction and if no one ever does this for fear of insulting a few soft people then those people that need the push will never get it.

tumblr_mdx5tl11C11rtgvnao1_500.gif
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    Man after reading the last few pages since the last time I posted I really can't believe how some of the adults in this thread are acting. It really has opened my eyes and shown me that just because someone is significantly older than me doesn't mean they are more knowledgeable.

That being said I like that I see people actually trying to help each other in this thread. As for the people saying we are trolls, yeah we like to go have fun in meaningless threads from time to time, but when it comes to fitness and nutrition I know I personally will never troll. As for the tone of the OP and some of the other posts, this was meant as a wake up call. There's so many threads of people babying each other that some of them become delusional. If you don't like the tone of the thread I guess all I can say is "too bad". Some people need something like this to push them in the right direction and if no one ever does this for fear of insulting a few soft people then those people that need the push will never get it.

tumblr_mdx5tl11C11rtgvnao1_500.gif

Exactly this^, I troll the chat and games section, but never nutrition/fitness
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In... for part 2
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how upset people get when someone post what is on their mind....... Do you not realize you are responding with your own opinion?

Lol oh the power of Freedom of speach

BTW I agree with OP as a female...... Ladies check out "Lady Beast" It is all about lifting heavy and still looking like a lady. Some amazing women on that site.

It's also amazing how people can post something without realizing how judgey they sound. Starting things off with "You guys" is not the best way to sound like a helper. It's too bad that people got offended, but I can see how it happened.

This thread isn't judgmental at all, I said "you guys" meaning this section. I did not mean a type of person. It's a shame some people are offended by it, and also my age lol.

As for everyone else who disagrees with my OP, read the thread or at least the first 10 pages, hopefully it changes your mind.

The information in it was absolutely correct. It was the presentation that ran afoul. Read Sarauk2sf's OP on not complicating things and check it against yours. ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it )

You are saying the same thing basically, but she went about it in a manner that was clearly helpful, and many people have been grateful for it. No one complained even once. She is, in fact, one of the nicest people on MFP with well over 15k posts. She has even called me out once for wording things in such a way that would cause someone to take offense, even when none was intended.

Your OP could have come across a lot better if it had been worded in such a way as to be helpful. Better communication from the start would have avoided all the negative posts. At the same time, it made this thread interesting, did it not? :wink: :laugh:

There is no avoiding negative posts.

You've missed an enormous number of forum posts attacking Sara if you think the sentence in bold is correct, unless you truly are solely talking about the post in the ETA group.

There is a regular group on here of posters who attack any message that pushes a simple and practical approach to weight loss and body recomposition. Quite a few of them are present in this thread.

Edit: fix bold quote

And lets be honest...She's not THAAATTT nice :laugh:

For the record, this was just playful ribbing at Sara because she is my buddy will read this at some point
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how upset people get when someone post what is on their mind....... Do you not realize you are responding with your own opinion?

BTW I agree with OP as a female...... Ladies check out "Lady Beast" It is all about lifting heavy and still looking like a lady. Some amazing women on that site.

It's also amazing how people can post something without realizing how judgey they sound. Starting things off with "You guys" is not the best way to sound like a helper. It's too bad that people got offended, but I can see how it happened.

This thread isn't judgmental at all, I said "you guys" meaning this section. I did not mean a type of person. It's a shame some people are offended by it, and also my age lol.

As for everyone else who disagrees with my OP, read the thread or at least the first 10 pages, hopefully it changes your mind.

The information in it was absolutely correct. It was the presentation that ran afoul. Read Sarauk2sf's OP on not complicating things and check it against yours. ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it )

You are saying the same thing basically, but she went about it in a manner that was clearly helpful, and many people have been grateful for it. No one complained even once. She is, in fact, one of the nicest people on MFP with well over 15k posts. She has even called me out once for wording things in such a way that would cause someone to take offense, even when none was intended.

Your OP could have come across a lot better if it had been worded in such a way as to be helpful. Better communication from the start would have avoided all the negative posts. At the same time, it made this thread interesting, did it not? :wink: :laugh:

You've missed an enormous number of forum posts attacking Sara if you think the sentence in bold is correct, unless you truly are solely talking about the post in the ETA group.

There is a regular group on here of posters who attack any message that pushes a simple and practical approach to weight loss and body recomposition. Quite a few of them are present in this thread.

And lets be honest...She's not THAAATTT nice :laugh:

For the record, this was just playful ribbing at Sara because she is my buddy will read this at some point

Oh oops! Well in that case she needs to have her ice cream stolen.

and given to me.
    *hides from Sara*
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Holy Quotes Batman!
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I may start my own thread, thanks for the advice. I have done that before but find that I get too much conflicting advice. My weekend of not logging was a fluke - bachelorette party and bridal shower. I log pretty consistently. I wear a hrm with chest strap, and have never heard of Insanity cals being overestimated on hrm - but might try to adjust based on hrm - 40-50%, but it would again put me at around 1900 calories which is where I have been and not losing for over two months. The 1000 calorie burn was a double workout day of 60 minutes of turbofire and 40 minutes of Insanity. I find with my Polar F4, I burn an average of 10 cals/minute doing high intensity workouts like TurboFire and Insanity - is this too high? Could my hrm be defective? So my max cardio burns are around 500 or 600 calories. I weigh 171 pounds at 5'6" and my body fat is around 31%. My plan is to start NROL4W after Insanity, but it was my desperate workout plan to lose weight before my wedding and to see results doing an "insane" workout.

I drink coffee, yes, but that is all except water - which I drink 15-20 glasses of a day usually - some days as little as 8 but its infrequent (should be logged). I recently started using my food scale but measured everything with spoons and cups before that.

I didn't mean to derail the thread, you don't have to answer my questions and I will leave it at this...I agree with you that you need to eat at a deficit to lose and a surplus to gain. But I have followed all the reasonable advice that I have read (although weighing is new) calculated my deficits and worked out and I am not seeing losses. I have tweaked and recalculated many times following the advice of lots of different people. It's just not as simple as eating at a deficit for everyone - there are lots and lots of factors at play and sometimes even calculated, recalculated, weighed and measured deficits don't show losses for me.

Sorry thread, but I thought I would try to help this lady out because we're the same weight and body fat. However, I'm 2 inches shorter, but I am 171 and 31% body fat. If I did nothing but cardio for an hour, the best I would ever do is 400-450. I can't imagine what I'd have to do to get 1,000. I didn't know Insanity was mostly cardio. I've done the P90 and P90X programs from Beachbody which have a little weight training so I figured most of Beachbody's programs would incorporate this. So definitely add resistance bands or weights to your work out routine. I'm sorry you leveled out at 1600 calories. I've been eating 1600-1700 for the past 3 months and recalculate every 5 pounds. Maybe 1900 is a tad too much? I'm not saying drastically reduce, but maybe try 1800 and see how that works for a while. Sorry you keep getting different advice, but honestly, I've only ever met a few people in real life who think the way I do about this. My husband even has a different approach.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And with ^this, I'm...

In...

...for more complications.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

You can find the exception to any rule. The point is, there is a nice way to offer advice, and another way, which will start a flame war, more often than not. There will always be a-holes, but it can be minimized. :flowerforyou:

I used to believe this...

...but after a couple of years on MFP, no longer do. A different tone may accelerate the path of a thread, but it doesn't, by itself, dictate the path. I've seen incendiary posts go nowhere, and the nicest of posts end as a dumpster fire. The only thing a thread needs to end badly is participation from certain camps...regardless of how OP is phrased. And without participation from those vocal camps, the most vilely phrased OP will quickly be forgotten.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I've seen Sara being raked through coals by saying much of what this thread and her own thread says on the forums.

True, I was using that link to show a better way of saying the same thing. Being an outspoken person, I am well aware of how easy it is to offend someone unintentionally. :flowerforyou:

The reason that thread stayed on topic and civil like it did was because it was posted in a group. That same post in gen pop ends badly.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I've seen Sara being raked through coals by saying much of what this thread and her own thread says on the forums.

True, I was using that link to show a better way of saying the same thing. Being an outspoken person, I am well aware of how easy it is to offend someone unintentionally. :flowerforyou:

The reason that thread stayed on topic and civil like it did was because it was posted in a group. That same post in gen pop ends badly.

Here's a general post that took an educational approach to the topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976981-welcome-to-mfp-don-t-worry-there-s-cliff-notes

Responsible presentation, good information, didn't catch any blowback.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    If we really want to talk about who is being insulting in this thread just read through it and you'll see. The 20 somethings, genetically gifted, easy path, Greek gods (sarcasm) have been nothing but helpful and have explained our points time and time again. While at the same time the mature and wise 40 somethings have resorted to personal attacks and have not posed a single valid point that contradicts the science that OP is talking about.

Edit: not saying that all the older people that posted are doing that
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Here's a general post that took an educational approach to the topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976981-welcome-to-mfp-don-t-worry-there-s-cliff-notes

Responsible presentation, good information, didn't catch any blowback.

The reaction is why you can quote it and it's still here. I can think of a quite a few quality posts with a balanced presentations that were ultimately deleted by the mods because of the other posters that came in and wrecked havoc. A success thread from a good friend on here immediately comes to mind as the poster child for the "we hate success by the 'it's not complicated'" group of posters.

And, frankly, if someone needs to be spoon fed in order for them to listen to correct information, then they don't deserve the help anyway.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    If we really want to talk about who is being insulting in this thread just read through it and you'll see. The 20 somethings, genetically gifted, easy path, Greek gods (sarcasm) have been nothing but helpful and have explained our points time and time again. While at the same time the mature and wise 40 somethings have resorted to personal attacks and have not posed a single valid point that contradicts the science that OP is talking about.

Quite right! I'm a 40-something and I absolutely appreciate all you young, healthy, muscled up 20-somethings because the longer you stay fit and healthy the longer you can keep working to keep me in the level of comfort I expect when I retire. So I'm cheering you young 'uns all the way on this thread because your hard work saves me hard work. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • jwdieter
    Options
    The reaction is why you can quote it and it's still here. I can think of a quite a few quality posts with a balanced presentations that were ultimately deleted by the mods because of the other posters that came in and wrecked havoc. A success thread from a good friend on here immediately comes to mind as the poster child for the "we hate success by the 'it's not complicated'" group of posters.

And, frankly, if someone needs to be spoon fed in order for them to listen to correct information, then they don't deserve the help anyway.

Here's another one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

Flipped thread of positive responses.

The problem with the OP is purely tone. It's not particularly wrong, new, or insightful. It's an attempt to inspire forum combat - and the primary contention throughout this thread is style, not content. His information is generally applicable, and is the basic element of this website/app.

Regarding the closed threads, that's not my call. The issue with a couple I remember was, again, purely presentation. If you want to tell a story about weight loss, tell the story. "I eat all the foods" is not really the starting point - weight loss is achieving a caloric deficit. Obviously people can do that eating fast food or ribs or whatever in moderation.

There was a thread where a guy posted 20 pictures of calorie-dense food in his success story. That got closed. There was another who led with eating fast food every day. No idea if that got closed. Those sort of things get closed, not because the essence or facts are "wrong", but (I assume) because they're essentially bragging about eating food, when in reality they, like everyone else, moderated intake.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Here's another one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

Flipped thread of positive responses.

The problem with the OP is purely tone. It's not particularly wrong, new, or insightful. It's an attempt to inspire forum combat - and the primary contention throughout this thread is style, not content. His information is generally applicable, and is the basic element of this website/app.

Regarding the closed threads, that's not my call. The issue with a couple I remember was, again, purely presentation. If you want to tell a story about weight loss, tell the story. "I eat all the foods" is not really the starting point - weight loss is achieving a caloric deficit. Obviously people can do that eating fast food or ribs or whatever in moderation.

There was a thread where a guy posted 20 pictures of calorie-dense food in his success story. That got closed. There was another who led with eating fast food every day. No idea if that got closed. Those sort of things get closed, not because the essence or facts are "wrong", but (I assume) because they're essentially bragging about eating food, when in reality they, like everyone else, moderated intake.

I know the one that you're talking about, as it is the same one I'm thinking of, and it wasn't bragging. I know the guy. If someone wants to view the message of "you can enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight" as bragging, then it is the responding poster's mental issue, not the OP's. That thread mentioned moderation and calorie deficit, but the those who attacked him didn't bother to read that part.

The posts about fast food get closed all the time. The fact that someone can (and many do) lose weight eating the foods that are demonized on a regular basis is just too much for people to handle. I personally don't eat much fast food, but I know better than to tell people they can't survive quite well on it because there is enough evidence that people can and do. But anytime you bust myths, people get angry.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    I know the one that you're talking about, as it is the same one I'm thinking of, and it wasn't bragging. I know the guy. If someone wants to view the message of "you can enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight" as bragging, then it is the responding poster's mental issue, not the OP's. That thread mentioned moderation and calorie deficit, but the those who attacked him didn't bother to read that part.

I think his title was something about eating fast food and ice cream every day. Then four paragraphs down or so he included the moderation concept. I have no power to close threads, and I only report ads and spam, so wasn't me. Mods found it lacking if they closed it, and that's all them. From what I've seen, it's pretty clear that if you lead with something intentionally provocative, you have to get to the point in a hurry.

Honestly, that guy had a good story to tell. Wish he had presented it better, because there was interesting and informative essence to it. His cholesterol level dropped and he lost a lot of weight, while eating *some* fast food and *a little bit* of ice cream nearly every day.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I think his title was something about eating fast food and ice cream every day. Then four paragraphs down or so he included the moderation concept. I have no power to close threads, and I only report ads and spam, so wasn't me. Mods found it lacking if they closed it, and that's all them. From what I've seen, it's pretty clear that if you lead with something intentionally provocative, you have to get to the point in a hurry.

Honestly, that guy had a good story to tell. Wish he had presented it better, because there was interesting and informative essence to it. His cholesterol level dropped and he lost a lot of weight, while eating *some* fast food and *a little bit* of ice cream nearly every day.

That thread was closed not because of the OP but the arguments that ensued as people told him he was unhealthy, would never keep it off, and when he got older he was in for all number of health issues. The thread, I believe, was actually reinstated (I've seen it in the past month) with all the hostile comments purged.

So no. The mods didn't find it or its tone lacking.

Found it. Still closed but never deleted and some if the nastier stuff purged.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1027933-look-what-fast-food-ice-cream-have-done-to-my-cholesterol?hl=fast+food+cholesterol
  • BeachIron
    Options

That thread was closed not because of the OP but the arguments that ensued as people told him he was unhealthy, would never keep it off, and when he got older he was in for all number of health issues. The thread, I believe, was actually reinstated (I've seen it in the past month) with all the hostile comments purged.

^ This.

And what is "provocative" to some people on here is, frankly, mind boggling.
  • jwdieter
    Options

Well, the thread in question exists, and ends with Olivia (mod) indicating that it is closed. There are a variety of possible reasons for the closure cited. Not sure why you think you know which one exactly got it closed. You can look at the last couple pages and there's not a lot of escalation. He admits he put the title in simply to be provocative. Would be the easiest reason for closure.

See: 2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting
    Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.