You guys really like to over complicate things.

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    That thread was closed not because of the OP but the arguments that ensued as people told him he was unhealthy, would never keep it off, and when he got older he was in for all number of health issues. The thread, I believe, was actually reinstated (I've seen it in the past month) with all the hostile comments purged.

So no. The mods didn't find it or its tone lacking.

Well, the thread in question exists, and ends with Olivia (mod) indicating that it is closed. There are a variety of possible reasons for the closure cited. Not sure why you think you know which one exactly got it closed. You can look at the last couple pages and there's not a lot of escalation. He admits he put the title in simply to be provocative. Would be the easiest reason for closure.

See: 2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting
    Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

I assume because the thread wasn't nuked (as happens when a topic is objectionable or breaks the rules. I can think of two success threads poo urged in the past fifteen days) and the only posts that were nuked were from people responding to the OP, not ones from the OP. I remember the thread very vividly and reported some of the purged posts myself.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I assume because the thread wasn't nuked (as happens when a topic is objectionable. I can think of two success threads poo urged in the past fifteen days) and the only lists that were nuked were from people responding to the OP, not ones from the OP.

Well, I see are the Mod comments and a closed thread. The debate is still in the thread. The thread is still closed.

And if the title were different, pretty sure the thread would be open and a couple pages of congratulations, like nearly everything else in that particular forum.

There are themes and approaches to creating threads that end up closed. Whether that's because of the reactions they inspire or because of their clear intent to inspire those reactions is fairly moot.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Man after reading the last few pages since the last time I posted I really can't believe how some of the adults in this thread are acting. It really has opened my eyes and shown me that just because someone is significantly older than me doesn't mean they are more knowledgeable.

That being said I like that I see people actually trying to help each other in this thread. As for the people saying we are trolls, yeah we like to go have fun in meaningless threads from time to time, but when it comes to fitness and nutrition I know I personally will never troll. As for the tone of the OP and some of the other posts, this was meant as a wake up call. There's so many threads of people babying each other that some of them become delusional. If you don't like the tone of the thread I guess all I can say is "too bad". Some people need something like this to push them in the right direction and if no one ever does this for fear of insulting a few soft people then those people that need the push will never get it.

tumblr_mdx5tl11C11rtgvnao1_500.gif

Truly not to argue but, do you sincerely believe a "push" helps people?
    That they respond positively to this type of motivation?
    My thinking is that those who already have inner motivation, have been doing well for the most part, and just need a little reminder are the ones who will respond to the "push".
    However, those who look for and make excuses ( and I am not denying their existence here on mfp ), are the ones who will bristle.
    So, my underlying question in all of this: who exactly are you appealing to?
    I think that makes a big difference in the receptivity of your OP.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Man after reading the last few pages since the last time I posted I really can't believe how some of the adults in this thread are acting. It really has opened my eyes and shown me that just because someone is significantly older than me doesn't mean they are more knowledgeable.

That being said I like that I see people actually trying to help each other in this thread. As for the people saying we are trolls, yeah we like to go have fun in meaningless threads from time to time, but when it comes to fitness and nutrition I know I personally will never troll. As for the tone of the OP and some of the other posts, this was meant as a wake up call. There's so many threads of people babying each other that some of them become delusional. If you don't like the tone of the thread I guess all I can say is "too bad". Some people need something like this to push them in the right direction and if no one ever does this for fear of insulting a few soft people then those people that need the push will never get it.

My thinking is that those who already have inner motivation, have been doing well for the most part, and just need a little reminder are the ones who will respond to the "push".
    However, those who look for and make excuses ( and I am not denying their existence here on mfp ), are the ones who will bristle.

I think you'd be very surprised to learn some of the "eureka" moments of those who have found something that works for them after a long time of things not working for them. Many of them are threads just like this one.

Further, you can't judge the effectiveness of a thread based only on those who respond.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I think you'd be very surprised to learn some of the "eureka" moments of those who have found something that works for them after a long time of things not working for them. Many of them are threads just like this one.

Further, you can't judge the effectiveness of a thread based only on those who respond.

Yep. The lurkers matter too, and are numerous.

I'll add that the "tough love" approach is honest, and honesty is what will help people change. Telling people that it's okay to use their problems as excuses doesn't help them change. I am not saying that people do not have real challenges, as many people here and elsewhere struggle with a variety of ailments and real roadblocks, but if they use those challenges as obstacles to be overcome, rather than excuses for failure, they have a real chance at success.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Just poppin' by again

IxZlxg4.jpg
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Just poppin' by again

IxZlxg4.jpg

LMFAO!!! I LOVE IT!!!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Hmm... no, I don't think I was.
    It was more me just pondering the bigger picture of personalities, issues and how weight gain is just one manifestation of coping.
    You can give all kinds of people with all kinds of different issues a "push" and some will respond and others will resist to the death, literally.

ETA: we are seeing a new population at the nursing home of alcoholic/drug abusers in their 40s and 50s with cirrhotic livers and pancreases.
    Here you guys are doing everything you can to stay fit and healthy and they're literally killing themselves as they go to the liquor store down the street to buy another pint or two- everyday.
    I mean, if my liver were rotten that would be a big push for me.
    But not for these guys.
    Sad, very sad.
    So, why one person and not another?
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    This is the first thread I have ever stayed in the saddle to follow for this long xD it makes me giggle and has great information and GIFS!!!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

I'll add that the "tough love" approach is honest, and honesty is what will help people change. Telling people that it's okay to use their problems as excuses doesn't help them change. I am not saying that people do not have real challenges, as many people here and elsewhere struggle with a variety of ailments and real roadblocks, but if they use those challenges as obstacles to be overcome, rather than excuses for failure, they have a real chance at success.

People have to want to hear the truth and want to change.
    Nothing will change until it changes...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

So what? Don't even try?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

So what? Don't even try?

No, keep putting the truth out there with the belief that it be helpful to those who will listen and apply it to their lives.
    But the success does not entirely hinge on how we present the truth (although that should be taken into consideration) but on who will listen, over which we have no control.
    For some people, it makes no difference what you say, how much you back it up, argue or say it in a different way.
    So, stop trying with those people.
    They won't change until they change.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

It was more me just pondering the bigger picture of personalities, issues and how weight gain is just one manifestation of coping.
    You can give all kinds of people with all kinds of different issues a "push" and some will respond and others will resist to the death, literally.

ETA: we are seeing a new population at the nursing home of alcoholic/drug abusers in their 40s and 50s with cirrhotic livers and pancreases.
    Here you guys are doing everything you can to stay fit and healthy and they're literally killing themselves as they go to the liquor store down the street to buy another pint or two- everyday.
    But not for these guys.
    Sad, very sad.

Huh?

Not *every* thread can help *every*body. If this is where the line is drawn for what is appropriate and what isn't, then I'd love to see an example of what you believe is universally helpful and effective for everyone.

Anyhow, I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:

ETA:
    No, keep putting the truth out there with the belief that it be helpful to those who will listen and apply it to their lives.
    But the success does not entirely hinge on how we present the truth (although that should be taken into consideration) but on who will listen, over which we have no control.
    For some people, it makes no difference what you say, how much you back it up, argue or say it in a different way.

But threads like these *do* help people. Maybe not all of the threads and obviously not all of people, but I know that some help some of them...so why would people stop trying? Because they don't meet your minimum threshold for effectiveness?

Meh, thanks for your input. I'll give it all of the consideration it deserves.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

But not for these guys.
    Sad, very sad.

Huh?

Not *every* thread can help *every*body. If this is where the line is drawn for what is appropriate and what isn't, then I'd love to see an example of what you believe is universally helpful and effective for everyone.

Anyhow, I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:

No such universal example exists simply because some people don't want to change as I said in my reply to joy :smile:
    I was just pondering life's complexities, not suggesting I have all the answers.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

But not for these guys.
    Sad, very sad.

Huh?

ETA:

But threads like these *do* help people. Maybe not all of the threads and obviously not all of people, but I know that some help some of them...so why would people stop trying? Because they don't meet your minimum threshold for effectiveness?

No, don't stop trying.
    When people are ready, they will listen.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

But not for these guys.
    Sad, very sad.

Huh?

ETA:

No, don't stop trying.
    When people are ready, they will listen.

Ah, okay, good. Perhaps we just had a little breakdown in communication several posts ago up there^.

Sounds like we're all back on the same page now though.

:flowerforyou:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'll add that the "tough love" approach is honest, and honesty is what will help people change. Telling people that it's okay to use their problems as excuses doesn't help them change. I am not saying that people do not have real challenges, as many people here and elsewhere struggle with a variety of ailments and real roadblocks, but if they use those challenges as obstacles to be overcome, rather than excuses for failure, they have a real chance at success. /quote
    [/quote]

This rings True. Try , try and try again.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'll add that the "tough love" approach is honest, and honesty is what will help people change.

That assumes that everyone responds to the 'tough love' approach. I know I don't - in fact whenever I read people doing the boot-camp style, motivational piece (which always has a large self-congratulatory undertow in my mind), I have a massive desire to see them trampled under a rampaging herd of Wildebeest until there's nothing left but an insubstantial pool of steaming red goo.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    As I said before, there are already tons of threads with people babying each other. If that's what someone needs to motivate them, they can go there. But where are the threads for people that need a dose of reality? This thread is the only one I've seen.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'll add that the "tough love" approach is honest, and honesty is what will help people change.

That assumes that everyone responds to the 'tough love' approach. I know I don't - in fact whenever I read people doing the boot-camp style, motivational piece (which always has a large self-congratulatory undertow in my mind), I have a massive desire to see them trampled under a rampaging herd of Wildebeest until there's nothing left but an insubstantial pool of steaming red goo.

There are many other fluffy threads if you'd like to stick with those :flowerforyou: