You guys really like to over complicate things.

Options

Replies

• Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Lots of people disagreeing are just wrong on the terms. "Eating at a deficit" is not the same as "thinking you are eating at a deficit".

this is so true. Calories in v calories out is true for everyone, because no-one's body breaks the laws of physics.

By calories in, I mean calories absorbed by the body via the digestive system (or intravenously, e.g. a drip)

By calories out, I mean calories utilised by the cells to produce energy to stay alive and move around.

if more calories are going in than out, the excess will be stored as fat (or in some cases as glycogen) - if more calories are going out than coming in, the body will draw on fat reserves (or sometimes glycogen reserves) to make up the energy shortfall. Glycogen is short term energy storage, fat is long term energy storage. Your body can also make up the shortfall from lean tissue e.g. muscle.... to ensure the shortfall is made up of mostly fat (some utilisation of glycogen is inevitable, but not harmful to you) then you need a small, sensible deficit sustained for a long period of time.

Problems like PCOS or thyroid don't mean that someone's body suddenly breaks the laws of physics... conditions like this mean that the cells use fewer calories than they should be, so even though they may be eating what may, for another person of their height, weight and lean body mass, be eating less than they burn... for them at that amount it's still more than they burn off, because their cells are not using (burning) the energy from the food they eat as much as they should be. So the calories in versus calories out equation is still correct.......... just that their medical condition skews the calories out bit so it's much harder for them to create a deficit and start losing fat.

Also, if this is the problem, it's necessary to get it corrected, as lowering the calories to the point where weight loss becomes possible may result in making the metabolic problem worse, not better, and the total number of calories eaten may not be enough to get all the nutrition needed.

For PCOS, moderately low carb (but not zero or very low carb) plus exercise is what seems to help. So the "eat more burn more" advice is actually good, but you should add in "be more careful about carbs, both the amount and type eaten"

For thyroid issues, you need to get thyroid medication from the doctor... the problem with your cells utilising too little energy creates problems in how your body works, i.e. the symptoms of hypothyroidism, and this needs to be corrected for good health, before you even start worrying about losing weight. Once the thyroid problem is corrected, weight loss should be relatively easy, as your cells will be burning a lot more energy, so creating a deficit will be much easier.

Also, regarding the OP, what he says is correct.... I really don't think he was directing his message at people with hormonal issues that affect the metabolism.... it seems it was more aimed at people who are following a whole bunch of rules like don't eat after xpm, thou shalt eat 6 small meals a day, only eat carbs on the 2nd tuesday of each month, only eat off plates with a diameter of less than six and three eights inches, or other silly rules like that, which are totally not necessary. For weight loss the only thing necessary is a calorie deficit. For health, eating all the nutrients your body needs and exercising is necessary. Everything else is just flotsam that just confuses people and makes things much more difficult than they need to be. So really, the message of stripping everything back to the basics does need to be out there.

So much this.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I noticed this too. Fortunately, the 'ignore button' is just as effective. Use it with impunity. You'll weed out all the unhelpful stuff, easy peasy! :drinker:

No what you do is ignore what you don't agree with or don't want to hear...big difference.:noway:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I noticed this too. Fortunately, the 'ignore button' is just as effective. Use it with impunity. You'll weed out all the unhelpful stuff, easy peasy! :drinker:

No what you do is ignore what you don't agree with or don't want to hear...big difference.:noway:

My journey. My MFP. I can do what I want....*click* ahhh...cuts out the white noise.
    ETA: you mad? :laugh:
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I hope that's all he meant. But the comment came across as kinda silly. When I run out of freezer veggies, it's time to hit the canned goods in the pantry. If not for canned goods, I wouldn't be able to eat as many veggies.

Personally, I eat both tinned and frozen, as well as fresh. I think they're probably "fresher" than the vegetables on display at my local supermarket.

If I had a farmers market locally where foods were literally from the field to the shelf, I would probably buy those instead, but just because you can do a greater variety of things with fresh veg.

Horses for courses.

What people must realise is that if they are eating to a sensible calorie deficit, and they *know* they are, they will lose weight and any "stalls" in their progress are temporary.

The quality of what you eat (tinned vs fresh vs frozen, or whatever) is only relevant in terms of health. Some people can and do get "thin" eating what I'd term as crap, but nobody can force them to eat the non-crap.
  • all5days
    all5days Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    well said.
  • Ademar111
    Ademar111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how upset people get when someone post what is on their mind....... Do you not realize you are responding with your own opinion?

Lol oh the power of Freedom of speach

BTW I agree with OP as a female...... Ladies check out "Lady Beast" It is all about lifting heavy and still looking like a lady. Some amazing women on that site.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    meeewfblfbl

This is the cat gif thread, right?

Edit: Maybe, but I fail at posting a gif….
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Time is the great equalizer. We've seen this play before.

Time does not beget wisdom.

Young idiots grow into old idiots. Young *kitten* grow into old *kitten*. Interestingly Both groups are over-represented in politics.

Wisdom is not a function of age, it is a function of thought.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I am old, when will I be the special snowflake
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how upset people get when someone post what is on their mind....... Do you not realize you are responding with your own opinion?

Lol oh the power of Freedom of speach

BTW I agree with OP as a female...... Ladies check out "Lady Beast" It is all about lifting heavy and still looking like a lady. Some amazing women on that site.

It's also amazing how people can post something without realizing how judgey they sound. Starting things off with "You guys" is not the best way to sound like a helper. It's too bad that people got offended, but I can see how it happened.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Welcome to the internet. There are also cats.

kitty_vagina_zps49a40823.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Time does not beget wisdom.

Young idiots grow into old idiots. Young *kitten* grow into old *kitten*. Interestingly Both groups are over-represented in politics.

Wisdom is not a function of age, it is a function of thought.

So true! Since I'm in the middle, I can see both sides.

For the a-holes:

06.gif
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is just a gif thread by now, right?

tumblr_mewnqwIzFz1rjmtnio1_250.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

QFT
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    As the first to mention cats in the thread, I have disappointed myself by not actually posting cat gifs.

This was me yesterday, and you can check my diary to confirm:

tumblr_m9zm8lkIFn1rexgvto1_500.gif
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    As the first to mention cats in the thread, I have disappointed myself by not actually posting cat gifs.

This was me yesterday, and you can check my diary to confirm:

tumblr_m9zm8lkIFn1rexgvto1_500.gif

This might be the saddest case of packaging rage I've seen.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I came back to this thread because I felt bad. The op is technically correct. Yes, it is about eating less and moving more. This is true for everyone. I think it was mainly in the wording, although I really do appreciate were he says he doesn't want any of those strange "diet rules" to confuse anyone and keep them from trying. I think for some of us the issue is really in finding what your true tdee is and for me that has not been simple. I have been up down and all around to try to find my "sweet spot". Not sure if I've found it yet. For some of us this journey has been difficult. Unfortunately my bmr is 1277. Ugh. So I have to eat much less and work harder to lose. So, I am sorry op you are and were correct. I think that the word simple just rubbed people wrong. It should be simple but for some of us it just isn't.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Yes, *much* nicer than this one. :wink:

This is the proper approach to providing information on the internet without provoking a shtstorm.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with you, OP. I wish more people would realize that instead of giving up or trying some fad diet that wont work.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    This is just a gif thread by now, right?

tumblr_mewnqwIzFz1rjmtnio1_250.gif

ahhh!!!!!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I totally laughed out loud cause it took my eyes a second to focus on all the activity and by the time I did, well, let's just say I'm glad I didn't have a coffee in my hand...woulda come outta me nosie fo sho :huh: