Imagine if it were no longer available tomorrow: what food item are you hoarding?

Options

Replies

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Oh man..... lol.... just 1?

Okay.. I can do this... lol...

Uhm............

Okay.. bread.
    If for some reason bread couldnt be made ever again, I would have to hoard it, I mean, besides all the tasty sandwiches, I eat bread and butter with a lot of things... soups and stews, pasta dishes and casseroles, I even eat bread and butter just to eat bread and butter...

Plus toast.. and you need bread to make bread pudding.. stuffing at Thanksgiving.. french toast.. plus burger buns and hotdog buns wouldnt be able to be made and I would need something to pair with those... breadcrumbs would also be gone... croutons for salad... lol

I dunno... bread is kind of my world.

No fresh crusty rolls? No crispy sour dough bread for grilled cheeses, no garlic bread? I would be lost
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You so need to come visit. I want to start up my sourdough again (we got flooded 14 months ago but have one dried, cryovac'd in the freezer to start back up. Last one I kept alive for many years) and I made the easiest bread the other week, not sourdough. You don't even touch the dough with your hands and it fast too. If you are interested let me know. I found it on the net not long ago and it was amazing!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Pepperoncini peppers.

There are plenty of other foods I like more, but I think I would miss those the most, as I could substitute for any of the others (and plus foods as perishable as most meat, eggs, dairy, and fresh fruit and veg can't really be hoarded).
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Ok.....lately... cocoa powder with cayenne pepper!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Prescient thread. ;)

Since it doesn't work to hoard perishables, I'm gonna go with dried legumes: Black beans or lentils probably. I love my legumes.

And some types can be planted, to get more: Double win.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Prescient thread. ;)

Since it doesn't work to hoard perishables, I'm gonna go with dried legumes: Black beans or lentils probably. I love my legumes.

Yes, prescient thread.

A few weeks ago my mom ordered 25 pounds each rice and dried black beans from her health food store. She's all set :smiley: I have 5# of black beans and a few pounds of lentils, but I don't eat beans as often as she does.

I wish I'd bought more flour and yeast. So many people in my FB feed are baking. I'm down to less than 5 pounds of flour, but I can get bread, and my exact brand even, so I'm not too worried about it. I have difficulty moderating homemade bread when I'm NOT struggling with stress eating, so just as well.

I do keep checking for yeast out of curiosity - none most places, but BJ's did have bundles of two 1 pound packages, lol. (One of my favorite bread recipes calls for just 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, so two pounds is a LOT.)

I have still been seeing whole wheat flour on the shelves.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Kale

B)

@Phirrgus kale will never run out, it's a roadside weed! :-P

I wish. The cabbage worms would wipe out my kale if I weren't diligent.

I planted kale seeds a few weeks ago and seedlings last Sunday.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,565 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Prescient thread. ;)

OK, if I can't hoard produce then aside of sweets I'd probably pick beans too, after produce they're what I eat the second-most of along with oatmeal. I'm used to a few servings a day of beans/lentils and make batches in the Instant Pot each week, I'm freaking out that my jars of red lentils and garbanzo beans are running low and bulk bins have been emptied (my store was limiting bags allowed to be bought and the next time I went I could only get black beans) but have about 8lbs of brown lentils and a pantry shelf of bagged and jarred beans and legumes. Can't justify a special order somewhere right now when I have a lot of other stuff but some might say I already hoard them!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Frozen pizza and coffee
  • Nicolo_Ultra
    Nicolo_Ultra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    33ohq2jq36wn.jpg
    jwuc7bijjzpb.jpg
    I've had my fair share of mini Cadburry eggs already and every year I forget just how much I love them. But also, fiber cereal, this one has made my gut happier than it's been in years (I eat 1.5 servings and it's 25g of insoluble fiber).
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    33ohq2jq36wn.jpg
    jwuc7bijjzpb.jpg
    I've had my fair share of mini Cadburry eggs already and every year I forget just how much I love them. But also, fiber cereal, this one has made my gut happier than it's been in years (I eat 1.5 servings and it's 25g of insoluble fiber).

yes to fiber one! Fave cereal
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Rice. This is a major staple of my diet.

It is hard to hoard fresh stuff. The one thing it is hard for me to do without is fruit so I have bags of frozen fruit in my freezer.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    It'd be a hard decision but it's a toss-up between peanut butter and chocolate. Hmmm, maybe I'd just hoard Ben and Jerry's new Netflix ice cream or Reese's Cups.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    mlcmytkfv81j.png
    q59sbog3v0od.png
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I already buy them two cases at a time now...

iaht7gn8xill.gif
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

iaht7gn8xill.gif

I am not a fan!
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

iaht7gn8xill.gif

I love these!
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Tofu! I would hoard allllllllll the tofu.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    Tofu! I would hoard allllllllll the tofu.

Same! I have tofu pretty much every day and have for years on and off 🙂