Do you use butter or margarine?

Options

Replies

• guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Very, very thin spread of butter. I read its healthier but don't wanna get fat from it obviously :)
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Butter, because it's delicious.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Butter- Best thing ever on my steamed vegetables - margerine is from the devil!!

http://wellnessmama.com/2193/why-you-should-never-eat-vegetable-oil-or-margarine/
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Margarine , i use it as a sandwich spread on my wheat bread
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I generally use olive-based spreads. I find butter far too heavy and rich, it makes me queasy now. Weird, because as a child I loved the stuff.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Organic vegan butter. Tastes just the same.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That's funny that you posted this. I recently saw this posted on facebook and wondered how much of it was true. I'll have to research it later...
    "
    Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
    Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
    Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?"

Didn't read all the way through the thread to see if this has already been debunked, but for the record, everything there is false. For one thing, margarine was invented in the 1800s, way more than 100 years ago. And it wasn't invented to fatten turkeys, it was invented as a substitute for butter for military use, as butter didn't travel well back then.

As for the "one molecule away from plastic" thing, that's a property of fats in general, not margarine specifically. Fat and plastic are so similar, they even occasionally bond together (ever try to wash a plastic bowl after storing something fatty in it? Darn thing always feels greasy, that's because the fat in the food bonded with the plastic of the container.)
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like butter but can't eat it since I had my gall bladder removed, it gives me terrible indigestion. I use a small amount of light olive oil spread, which has no transfats.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Margarine is very unhealthy. I read that in Michael Pollan's book called "In defense of food".
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    unsalted butter!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Butter cuz it tastes better IMO - not because everyone fell over the marketing. Ghee is even better...yum!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think I'm only the 3rd to pick margarine. I have always preferred the taste, and don't plan on switching. I don't use enough of it to worry me. My boyfriend uses butter, so we use butter for cooking meals, but I use margarine on toast and whatnot.
  • shelllord
    shelllord Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Low fat olive spread is good, and all that crap about marg being plastic ha,i wish people would take the time to research the rubbish off facebook rather than believing it all then spreading the rubbish onto other people
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I switched from margarine when I found out what was in it. So either the olive oil spreads, spreadable butters or unsalted butter, but olive oil for cooking. I only use it on bread with e.g. ham or cheese, if the filling itself is moist I don't use butter.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    On bread nothing. Very rarely margarine.

For cooking I use coconut oil, because it's the best.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the way through the thread to see if this has already been debunked, but for the record, everything there is false. For one thing, margarine was invented in the 1800s, way more than 100 years ago. And it wasn't invented to fatten turkeys, it was invented as a substitute for butter for military use, as butter didn't travel well back then.

As for the "one molecule away from plastic" thing, that's a property of fats in general, not margarine specifically. Fat and plastic are so similar, they even occasionally bond together (ever try to wash a plastic bowl after storing something fatty in it? Darn thing always feels greasy, that's because the fat in the food bonded with the plastic of the container.)

It's insane to claim fat is unhealthy because the molecule structure is similar to that of plastic. Go study some chemistry indeed. I agree with you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Margarine is the devil!! And very close to being a plastic.

Oh please! H2O vs H2O2. Doesn't make water is the devil.

Good point, but water at least isn't made with chemical junk. I think that's what they're getting at.

I made the switch from margarine to butter at the beginning of this year - tastes waaaayyy better! And I only use it on my toast or in the pan when making eggs. I plan on further substituting it eventually (there's a nice jar of coconut oil in the fridge that isn't used nearly enough!), but old habits die hard.

I grew up in a household that used nothing but margarine so it tastes fine to me. Taste is just personal preference. Butter tastes good too. Both are chemicals but I rarely use either and haven't for many years. I don't really consider either a "healthy food". I think olive oil is "healthy" so I use that.

Butter is not chemicals. it's churned cream (and occasionally salt).

Cream is chemicals.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Olive spread for toast and olive oil for cooking.

Can't stand the taste of unsalted butter....

"Butter is not chemicals. it's churned cream (and occasionally salt). "

I love it when people say this. EVERYTHING is chemicals peeps.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    i use coconut oil no matter what. i used to watch my mother in law srsly put a stick of butter on whatever she ate or cooked, it turned me off from butter completely.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    <--Ex margarine eater here! Now it's all about the butter.