August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Another article on marathon cheating: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/meet-the-marathon-cheats?utm_source=pocket-newtab

This quote stuck out to me: “But what I couldn’t understand was: why had he done it?” I get it but I don't, you know?

Skip was running a 5K in June and a guy came out of no where in front of her, he cut the last corner and she said "hey you cut the course". His reply "no *kitten*". What a complete jerk. I'm sure he got some big satisfaction beating her that way. I don't get it at all.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Another article on marathon cheating: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/meet-the-marathon-cheats?utm_source=pocket-newtab

This quote stuck out to me: “But what I couldn’t understand was: why had he done it?” I get it but I don't, you know?

I can understanding cheating when something is at stake, such as charity money - don’t agree with it of course but at least I can see why someone would do it. But why someone would cheat at an amateur running event isn’t clear to me. I had a 5k last year at which I placed 7th in AG, and being the competitive sort of person I am, I looked at the finishing video to see who had beaten me, and was surprised as heck when I found three out of the people ahead of me hadn’t finished the course properly! One had walked the 1 mile course, one was a man wearing the wrong bib, and I can’t recall what the deal was but there was a third person - I’m thinking she wasn’t on the video at all? Anyway I wrote to the race timing company and ended up in 4th place, and a couple of other people actually ended up winning AG awards that they had been denied. It seems just crazy to me that anyone would deliberately cheat on a local 5k. I feel like the man may have been an accident rather than intentional cheating - probably borrowed a bib from his mom or something and didn’t think it would be an issue. But there are photos from the awards ceremony which show the walking “winner” accepting her award, so she must have known what happened. What sort of person gets up, smiles and waves, and accepts an award they didn’t win?

Anyway ever since then I have checked the footage of my local races, and never found any issues. The race with all the cheating is coming up again soon and I’m wondering if there will be any weirdness this time around.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @polskagirl01 funny, I hadn’t made it in here to post my picture yet, but one of my last runs also had turkeys. Although, there was no chasing involved. If anything they might argue that I was chasing them.
    176or2v30xtz.jpeg

I am only at like 12 miles for the month. And 5 of those miles was a route miscalculation that was an awful lot of walking for a run, and about 2 miles further than I intended to go. Ugh, one of these days I gotta get back on this wagon....or stop eating.
    So funny about the turkeys!
    My daughter says "Mama, you see EVERYTHING when you are running!".

Re: cheating. Last year I was looking at Strava flyby of a half marathon and saw a guy suddenly start going super-fast and got almost to the finish when he slowed back down to run across the finish line. I'm pretty sure he got a ride from the same pickup truck that offered me a ride (I refused - didn't get why they'd even ask such a stupid question - but he must have been already in the truck at that point). He didn't win anything or brag about the race on Facebook, so I didn't bother reporting him. It was weird to me how obvious it was, though, and how he made no attempt to hide it with public Strava in his full name, public Facebook and he is apparently even an employee of one of the sponsors. I found all of this information within a couple of minutes of seeing the flyby.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    08/01/19 :::: 3.6 :::: 3.6
    08/02/19 :::: 4.1 :::: 7.7
    08/03/19 :::: 10.2 :::: 17.8
    08/04/19 :::: 3.7 :::: 21.5
    08/05/19 :::: 3.7 :::: 25.2
    08/06/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 28.2
    08/07/19 :::: 5.1 :::: 33.3
    08/08/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 36.3
    08/09/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 36.3
    08/10/19 :::: 8.7 :::: 45.0
    08/11/19 :::: 3.8 :::: 48.8
    08/12/19 :::: 4.2 :::: 53.1
    08/13/19 :::: 2.3 :::: 55.3
    08/14/19 :::: 5.4 :::: 60.7
    08/15/19 :::: 5.0 :::: 65.7
    08/16/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 65.7
    08/17/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 65.7
    08/18/19 :::: 5.1 :::: 70.9
    08/19/19 :::: 5.1 :::: 75.9
    08/20/19 :::: 5.5 :::: 81.5
    08/21/19 :::: 3.8 :::: 85.3
    08/22/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 85.3
    08/23/19 :::: 5.1 :::: 90.4

We're having some really nice weather here - almost feels like fall. I had a plan to meet up to run this morning at 7 but when the alarm went off I snoozed it a few times and finally realized I really just needed sleep. It's been an exhausting week. So I put off the run until after work. I had to stop by my gym so ran from there, part of it a very similar route to what I ran on Wednesday and found ended up bailing and running inside. What a difference in weather in a couple of days. Today I forgot to bring my water once again, but was fine for the whole run.

Tomorrow is supposed to be equally nice, which is great news for the long run. I really need a solid long run after being gone for the bike race and Spartan races the last two weekends.