Fat-positive Feminism and Weight Loss

Options
Hello all,

I'm writing to see if there are any other people out there who consider themselves fat positive but are still trying to lose weight. I consider myself a feminist and part of that is accepting and loving my body as it is, at any given time, so I'm finding it difficult to reconcile my desire to lose weight and be healthy and remaining fat-positive. I'm feeling like a hypocrite and wondering how much of my desire to loss weight comes from societal pressure to conform to a thinner silhouette.

Any other fat-positive feminists out there? How are you dealing with this?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Replies

• mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Just do it for you then. You can love yourself by getting more healthy! :smile:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    The most successful people in weight loss are those that lose weight for themselves, not for society or any others. It is most certainly possible to lose weight and not do it because that's what society considers acceptable. Perhaps you're afraid that the weight loss will change you, but if you've got the right frame of mind (and I think you do), it won't change you at all, just make you feel healthier.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Is fat positive the same as the fat acceptance movement?
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I consider myself feminist and body positive. I don't believe that anyone should have their value as a person judged based on their weight, appearance, or ability. I have people I love in my life of all different sizes, and I accept and love them where they're at. However, I don't think it is incompatible to love/accept/don't judge someone where they are at, and also endorse a healthier lifestyle.

I think it's important to love yourself and your body - but loving it invokes taking care of it. I don't want to body-shame anyone, including myself, but no one does themselves any favors by remaining unhealthy, making choices that will, in the long run, affect mobility and even life span. It's hard for men to "get" how much emotional and societal baggage women have about weight and their bodies,and I appreciate a lot of the affirming parts of the "fat positive" movement - but I also think it enables women to not have to heal the relationships they have with food or their bodies. If you're "perfectly fine" the way you are then you never have to change anything or understand why you overeat or overcome your fears of working out, and you never get to be amazed by watching yourself rise to a physical challenge and meet it. It seems like a bandaid to cover/redefine the situation, not a solution. And I think it may do as much harm as it does good.

So, for me, I am body positive. I don't talk *kitten* about my body or anyone else's, I try not to judge myself, I challenge body shaming, and I take myself and others where they're at. But I also owe it to myself and my kids to make the most out of this one life I have, and this one body I have. And that means confronting my own issues with food, getting myself to a healthy weight, and getting myself active and strong.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    One more thing: I spent a lot of years feeling pressure to conform to social norms, trying to lose weight for all those reasons. Once I got to a place of embracing myself for who I am, and my focus became on being the best me I can be, my attitude changed, my commitment changed, and I started seeing results. I feel stronger and more capable now than at any other time of my life - and that is a gift every woman should give herself.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    One more thing: I spent a lot of years feeling pressure to conform to social norms, trying to lose weight for all those reasons. Once I got to a place of embracing myself for who I am, and my focus became on being the best me I can be, my attitude changed, my commitment changed, and I started seeing results. I feel stronger and more capable now than at any other time of my life - and that is a gift every woman should give herself.

:drinker: to that post and the one above!! Well said!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

I don't know for sure (I have never heard of the term "fat positive" before, thus I don't know how OP or anyone else would define it) but I'm going to say yes.

That being said, I don't think it's hypocritical of yourself to want to become healthier and be fat positive. I know myself, I'm a little divided on the idea of fat positive: I do think everyone should and needs to be happy with their body type, even if your lifestyle is unhealthy, because having a positive image and confidence in yourself is just as important as having a healthy lifestyle. But exuding that same positivity to a 300 lb overweight person is...well, a bit foolish IMHO because being that much overweight is detrimental to their health, and it would be more positive to encourage a healthy lifestyle to such an individual, even if they still remain overweight.

In the end, if you lose weight, you can and will still be a feminist who is fat positive, and no one else can stop that opinion other than yourself.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I consider myself feminist and body positive. I don't believe that anyone should have their value as a person judged based on their weight, appearance, or ability. I have people I love in my life of all different sizes, and I accept and love them where they're at. However, I don't think it is incompatible to love/accept/don't judge someone where they are at, and also endorse a healthier lifestyle.

I think it's important to love yourself and your body - but loving it invokes taking care of it. I don't want to body-shame anyone, including myself, but no one does themselves any favors by remaining unhealthy, making choices that will, in the long run, affect mobility and even life span. It's hard for men to "get" how much emotional and societal baggage women have about weight and their bodies,and I appreciate a lot of the affirming parts of the "fat positive" movement - but I also think it enables women to not have to heal the relationships they have with food or their bodies. If you're "perfectly fine" the way you are then you never have to change anything or understand why you overeat or overcome your fears of working out, and you never get to be amazed by watching yourself rise to a physical challenge and meet it. It seems like a bandaid to cover/redefine the situation, not a solution. And I think it may do as much harm as it does good.

So, for me, I am body positive. I don't talk *kitten* about my body or anyone else's, I try not to judge myself, I challenge body shaming, and I take myself and others where they're at. But I also owe it to myself and my kids to make the most out of this one life I have, and this one body I have. And that means confronting my own issues with food, getting myself to a healthy weight, and getting myself active and strong.

Well said! I couldn't have articulated this as well, but I wholly agree.
  • lndsylck
    lndsylck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Big thanks to everyone, all of these posts are extremely helpful :)

To me, being fat positive is about knowing what it means to be fat (or big, or overweight, or curvy, or whatever other adjective does it for you), including the negative health effects, and choosing to be that way anyway. I've recently been conceptualizing choosing to be fat as a way to "fight the power" so to speak, to challenge societal standards of beauty and femininity. However, I really do want to be healthy, and to feel physically comfortable in my own skin.

I think instead of struggling with whether or not to lose weight I'll choose health and comfort over obsession with body weight and dress size.

Thanks again everyone!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a feminist, and I'm positive that I'm fat. Does that count?
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    I always admire people who really confident about who they are no matter what their shape. But it is not worth it and right to disregard one health because of it. It is good to be at a healthy weight and confident at the same time. It is for you and for your family because you want to be with them for as long as you can and be healthy at that. It is actually sad for me to see people feel that it is okay to be at unhealthy weight because they don't care what others think. It is okay to not care and be confident but to not care about one health is just terrible. There are many people who want to live but can't and you are just risking your health and body like that.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Big thanks to everyone, all of these posts are extremely helpful :)

To me, being fat positive is about knowing what it means to be fat (or big, or overweight, or curvy, or whatever other adjective does it for you), including the negative health effects, and choosing to be that way anyway. I've recently been conceptualizing choosing to be fat as a way to "fight the power" so to speak, to challenge societal standards of beauty and femininity. However, I really do want to be healthy, and to feel physically comfortable in my own skin.

I think instead of struggling with whether or not to lose weight I'll choose health and comfort over obsession with body weight and dress size.

Thanks again everyone!

That sounds like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. :huh:

But I think I know what you mean. I was very comfortable with my body at 232lbs. I didn't necessarily always like the way I looked naked, or dressed sometimes for that matter. But I did love who I was inside that large body. I know now that I can be a better version of the already awesome me by focusing of health and fitness, rather than what I look like.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Another card-carrying feminist here.
    I would never body-shame any woman, and I feel very sad when I hear women do that to themselves. If women took all the energy we focus on our "looks" and rechanneled it, we could RULE THE WORLD!

That being said, we women also need to be healthy and powerful. I do myself and my causes no favors if I'm tired, sick, and weak. So I've decided to lose weight and get healthy so I can be around for my kids, any future grandchildren, and to be a life-long cramp in the side of misogyny!
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to be both practicing HAES and actively losing weight. I think that the two aren't always exclusive.

The difference for me this time around is that I honestly love my body right now, at a very heavy weight. I don't want to lose weight because I don't love my body, rather I want to get healthy because I love myself, my life, and my body.

I think that some people are truly healthy when they are obese, just as I believe that some people are truly unhealthy when they are at a "normal" weight.

Edited to actually answer your first question: I am a feminist! :heart:
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    choosing to be fat as a way to "fight the power" so to speak, to challenge societal standards of beauty and femininity....choose health and comfort over obsession with body weight and dress size.

I am 233lbs and I love my body and am not ashamed of it, never have been. That does not mean that I am ignoring what being obese is doing to my body and my relationships. There is a cost to every decision. To be in shape and healthy (notice I did NOT say skinny or thin) you have to WORK at it. To be unhealthy and out of shape comes at a different cost (like those stated above). To choose to "fight the power" is really only hurting yourself. This isn't about societal norms and standards; this is about being a healthy person inside and out. If you care enough to tell everyone its your body and you'll love it exactly as it is fat and all, then you shouldn't care when and if you decide to make the decision to become healthier.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm body positive for the most part.... Well, I tried to be. When i was feeling good, I convinced myself that I could live being chunky. But then the days where had thrown out my back or was in constant pain... That's why I'm changing. I don't mind being chubby, but i do mind being in pain :)
    So yea, I'm body positive and still looking to lose weight.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to "fight the power". You want to go against societal norms? Volunteer, or find some community service projects to work on, or take some of the confidence and volunteer with a women's shelter. I don't mean this at all in a snarky way...so please forgive if I come off that way. What I mean is that there are ways to protest the norm that actually benefit the world around you and not harm your health. I have a hard time finding the difference between "body shaming" and letting the world define how I should see my body.

I am fat. I don't sugar coat it. I call myself fat. I don't like being fat. I don't like that my knees hurt. I don't like that I am not at a healthy weight to start a family. I don't like that I can't move as fast as I used to when I was younger. I don't like the way I look in pictures. And I don't like the fact that some people see it as I'm looking down on myself and have less confidence because I have these thoughts. I am a strong women. I work hard and I contribute. I have been blessed with people who love me just the way I am. But I am fat. And I just don't think it's okay for me to accept that. And I don't think I'm shaming myself by saying hey, I can fix this, I can change this, it's not okay, it's not healthy. Because true confidence, true power, comes from my saying "I'm doing this. I'm doing this for me. I want to be healthy. I want to be strong and I AM going to fight this battle and win." That's power. It's not about how society sees me or defines fat. It's people that have made fat such a shaming thing. I too want to go against the norm. So for me, to tell myself I need to get my fat a#% up and put on my walking shoes and refuse the reese's cup...isn't shaming myself...to me it's being strong and saying "no, I'm not going to fall into a trap of being happy or accepting myself when I'm not at my best."....because physically, at around 90 lbs overweight, I'm not at my best
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm a feminist and to me feminism accords basic dignity to all living beings. But feminism does not advocate delusional thinking that an objectively unhealthy weight is "positive." The fact that women are unfairly scrutinized based on their physical appearance and subject to the male gaze is a separate issue.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I don't know, but that was my assumption. Obesity is a disease. "Fat positive" is an oxymoron. Would you say you're "cancer positive"? "MS positive"?

At some point in America an idea took hold that everyone has to feel good about about herself or himself all the time, to the point where one is not only supposed to tolerate obesity, but argue it's a good thing. It's not.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    For me it has been tough to separate out losing weight "for me" from losing weight because of my own internalized prejudices against fat and society-based ideas of what women are "supposed" to look like to be attractive. It certainly chafes me at times when I feel that I am far more socially acceptable now as an average sized woman than I was as a large (260lb) woman.

But, as others have said, body positivity is about coming at this from a standpoint of loving your body for what it is and what it can do and taking care of yourself. For me that can include running and eating healthy. It does mean I passionately argue against fad and crash diets and exercise as punishment for being fat. It sucks that getting healthy happens to align with what this patriarchal society feels that women are supposed to do, but that is not a good enough reason to avoid it. In a sense, that would be STILL letting society control what I am.

I feel good. I'm strong. I'm powerful. I can do amazing things like run 8 miles without stopping. I've met dozens of amazing strong women over the last two years, and it's really been wonderful and empowering. I still don't feel the need to conform to patriarchal beauty standards, but occasionally they align with my own standards for what I want for myself and that's okay. And yeah my standards aren't created in a vacuum and are probably influenced by society, but there's only so much you can do. Focusing on exercise and strength rather than just weight and inches has helped a lot in not making me feel crazy.