Less Alcohol - SEPTEMBER 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Haha on the Woo button. I thought that it meant "woo-hoo" so was using it until corrected.
    We do need a "woo-hoo" button on MFP.

Those buttons are a bit of a hot topic for those of us who have been around MFP for several years and are active in various parts of the forums. When they first introduced them, we used only have “positive” reactions. But in some parts of the boards, debate in particular, things would get heated. Or someone would make claims like ACV helps with weight loss or you can’t eat carbs after 8 pm if you want to lose weight or silly nonsense like that. So people repeatedly asked for a way to flag the bad information accordingly and Woo was voted on. It was supposed to mean “this is rubbish, pseudoscience” but a lot of people misunderstood it as Woo Hoo. So then the desired “easy way to flag something as bad info without piling on the person who posted it” was doomed.

Recently they finally decided to implement the clear “disagree” button and even that is causing some people to think that’s too negative for a support site. Apparently civil disagreement hurts peoples feelings? Ugh. Don’t get me started.

Anyway what I was going to say is we also used to have an “Awesome” button which was, well, awesome. It would have been great in threads like this when people are excited about their AF days or some weight loss, better sleep, being moderate, etc. but they took that away and replaced it with “hug”. And the funny thing is that all of our awesome voted that we had previously gotten rolled into “hugs” so now it looks like a lot of people like to hug me. It’s icky.

So we are left with insightful, inspiring, like, hug and disagree. Sigh. Maybe one of these days MFP will get it right.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    annshandle wrote: »
    Went a little overboard last night and feeling it this morning. Will take it easy tonight.

Me too! Late dinners out mean my weight is up in the morning! Two drinks with dinner last night, but only one tonight- plus half of a golf cart Transfusion. I have all these delicious muffins and bagels left over from my back to school party, and they are not helping my weight any!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,551 Member
    @WinoGelato
    I so mischievously wanted to hit a "hug" on your post : - )
  • dawnbgethealthy
    As usual, I am going to work on 4-5 AF days per week.
    I managed 18AF days out of 31 for August somehow.
    I am going away the last week of September and first week of October, and I will be in a bathing suit every day, so am wanting to rack up lots of AF days before that.

September 01 - Sunday 5 drinks! (Saturday between 1pm and 1am at the music festival I had 7 drinks and didn't even throw up strangely). Drinks 2 days in a row is such a no-no, it makes it become normal to have drinks on the 3rd day 4th day etc. But I won't.
    September 02 - AF
    September 03 - AF - my "scheduled" day to have drinks, but there is ice skating at one of the arenas tomorrow and I haven't skated since April, so, well, I don't want to have a hangover or anything and fall and break my head : - P
    September 04 - AF - I was invited over to a friend's house for some wine, but declined. Skating was exhilarating today, even though it took me a few times around to get comfortable. Definitely didn't want to wreck the added calorie burn by having drinks.
    September 05 - 3 drinks. Feeling so much different than yesterday. My second sleepless night this week and a stressful workday coupled with Anxiety that I just couldn't seem to meditate away even though I ran (drove) to the lake after work for a float under a cloudless clear blue sky with sparkling glass-like water and some deep breaths. Sleep deprivation is crappy. I realize that booze probably doesn't help Anxiety, but it has somehow tonight numbed me and relaxed me. Still using booze as a crutch I guess, although I tried other things first. Not going to beat myself up. Us humans can be so fragile! If only I could skate every day... : - )
    September 06 - AF
    September 07 - AF - I didn't intend to be, but I burned over 1100 calories through exercise and didn't want that to be wasted, so stayed AF

Running total: 5 AF days out of 7 days so far
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    First Sunday football game just started. Should I ....or shouldn't I? Lol
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,304 Member
    MissMay wrote: »

I was asking myself the same. But knowing that I have been overindulging this week, I am now asking myself- How much of the game do you want to remember? How do you want to sleep and feel in the morning?
    I need to stop the damage and get back to less drinking days, more AF. I haven't gotten any of my usual early morning walks this week, and know this is why. Time to take better care of me.
    GO RAMS!
    I hope you all enjoy your day, however you choose to. 🤗
  • MissMay
    edited September 2019
    Welcome @fitand50inSD we love lurkers who come out of the woodwork to be recognized. Lol. Love all your listed goals. Your off to a good start. YAY.

Also welcome to @seanmohr752. Hope we can be of help for whatever reason you want to drink LESS.

Nice AF streak @anglilacs!

Thank goodness for short and sweet happy hours @annshandle.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    MissMay wrote: »

Started the game with a Diet Coke and then nursed one beer during first half. Not sure I will get a second. I’m more about the food during football unless my team is stressing me out but things are looking good right now. Go Chiefs!
  • MissMay
    edited September 2019
    Hahaha @looneycatblue those are all excellent reasons to skip the cocktails. Wishing you more success with getting your walks in. Hope your Ram's team wins!

I chose not to have booze today since I have a ton of outside work to cat h up on.

Good job @WinoGelato. Geeze "old heavy drinker me'" would have needed to get totally plowed before the game even started. Good luck Chiefs!
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    edited September 2019
    My plan is to have more AF days than drinking days each month. I will need to build up several in a row for September since I am starting my tracking on the 7th.

9/7 - AF
    9/8 - AF (the Packer's played Thursday night so no need to drink today!)
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Warm apple cider sounds so appealing @anglilacs
    I may have to try that out in October when I get back from my hot weather holiday - back to chilly weather when a warm drink is soothing. Very nice alternative to warm alcohol drinks.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    As usual, I am going to work on 4-5 AF days per week.
    I managed 18AF days out of 31 for August somehow.
    I am going away the last week of September and first week of October, and I will be in a bathing suit every day, so am wanting to rack up lots of AF days before that.

September 01 - Sunday 5 drinks! (Saturday between 1pm and 1am at the music festival I had 7 drinks and didn't even throw up strangely). Drinks 2 days in a row is such a no-no, it makes it become normal to have drinks on the 3rd day 4th day etc. But I won't.
    September 02 - AF
    September 03 - AF - my "scheduled" day to have drinks, but there is ice skating at one of the arenas tomorrow and I haven't skated since April, so, well, I don't want to have a hangover or anything and fall and break my head : - P
    September 04 - AF - I was invited over to a friend's house for some wine, but declined. Skating was exhilarating today, even though it took me a few times around to get comfortable. Definitely didn't want to wreck the added calorie burn by having drinks.
    September 05 - 3 drinks. Feeling so much different than yesterday. My second sleepless night this week and a stressful workday coupled with Anxiety that I just couldn't seem to meditate away even though I ran (drove) to the lake after work for a float under a cloudless clear blue sky with sparkling glass-like water and some deep breaths. Sleep deprivation is crappy. I realize that booze probably doesn't help Anxiety, but it has somehow tonight numbed me and relaxed me. Still using booze as a crutch I guess, although I tried other things first. Not going to beat myself up. Us humans can be so fragile! If only I could skate every day... : - )
    September 06 - AF
    September 07 - AF - I didn't intend to be, but I burned over 1100 calories through exercise and didn't want that to be wasted, so stayed AF
    September 08 - 3 drinks - next planned drinks, Tuesday

Running total: 5 AF days out of 8 days so far
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    anglilacs wrote: »
    @MissMay, I hadn’t noticed the disagree button yet! Maybe it’s a good thing since the woo seemed to be misunderstood?

AF last night but went over my calories - about 50 over my maintenance calories. I’m ok with that because I feel that I need to tackle this drinking almost every night thing first before I move to focusing on my weight loss.

9/3 - AF
    9/4 - AF
    9/5 - AF
    9/6 - AF

This strategy makes a lot of sense. I was repeatedly failing all year because I tried to diet at the same time as reducing drinking and it didn't work. It just added more stress. So I let myself focus on 1 goal at a time, and found it a lot easier to replace alcohol with some extra carbs and treats. I just increased my cardio exercise time by 15 min a day. I actually lost a few pounds, didn't have the added stress of cutting calories, and the carbs help to keep my neurotransmitters on a more even keel. For me it was the chocolate ice cream/gelato/yogurt, whatever was in there was a helpful substitute. Now that I am going on week 3 of hard core alcohol elimination and that anxiety feeling is gone, I will start to cut calories and replace the sweets with healthier fruits.