Replies

• kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls Great job at the HM!! Hope the leg settles down overnight
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Nice job @AlphaHowls! Hope your leg feels okay tomorrow.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Great job on the HM @AlphaHowls! Hope your hammie and quad settle down after the ice!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    September 28, 2019
    Hoptown Half Marathon
    106 of 356
    Gender Place 39 of 214
    F 45-49 6 of 32
    Time: 2:10:12
    Pace: 09:56 min/mile

Back of my leg (left) and thigh and really cranky. Walked, sat on ice, but pretty sure I will feel it in the morning!

Yay! Well done!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Good running, @AlphaHowls !!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I slept in a few times this week and ended up missing a run, but at least partially made it up with back-to-back runs to the gym yesterday and today. Today I ran the direct route (1.62 miles) but yesterday I took a longer route around the back of one of the lakes for 3.47 miles. Great workouts at the gym both days, too.

I’ve been going back and forth on feeling ready for the TMC weekend races next week (SO SOON!). I’d definitely have preferred my mileage to be higher, but there’s nothing I can do about that now. Tomorrow I’m planning on an 8-10 mile run. I really enjoy that distance and haven’t been able to run it more than a couple of times this year, so I’m hoping that goes well and I can really take advantage of the beautiful fall weather. 52F and sunny this morning, which I call just about perfect.

ALSO! Not running related question: my husband has to go in for a colonoscopy on Monday. I swear I remember a conversation here ages about about how to make the prep more tolerable. Whether I’m remembering right or not, anyone have any tips?

September Total: 31.79 miles

September Goals: Run 50 miles, lift minimum 2x/week, 15 minutes/day of moderate cardio, 15 minutes/day of mobility.

2019 Races! (bold registered)

January 26: Securian 10K, St. Paul, MN Chip time: 1:05:07
    February 16: Half Fast 10K DNS - weather
    March 23: Hot Dash 5K, Mpls, MN Chip time: 0:28:39 (*PR!)
    May 19: Women Run the Cities 5K, Mpls, MN Chip time: 0:33:02
    June 8: PHRC Pensieve 10K (virtual)
    June 12: ESTRS French 5K, Plymouth, MN
    DNS - injury
    June 29 Lift Bridge 5K, Bayport MN Chip time: 0:32:51
    August 3: Beat the Blerch 10K, Carnation, WA
    September 2: MDRA Victory Labor Day 5K, Mpls, MN
    Chip time: 0:33:04
    September 8: Sioux Falls Half Marathon, Sioux Falls, SD Chip time: 2:47:13 (in memory of @MobyCarp)
    October 5: TCM 10K, St. Paul, MN
    October 6: TCM 10Mi, Minneapolis to St. Paul, MN

October 13: Loopet Loppet (5 mile pacer)
    November 28: Turkey Trot St. Paul 10K, St. Paul, MN
    December 14: Reindeer Run 10K, Mpls, MN

As a veteran of multiple colonoscopies, I can say the prep is what you make of it.
    It's never fun, but always bearable.
    His reward will come when Doc tells him, "Good job on the prep."
    It's not much, but it beats the alternative.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    So, y'all, today I did something new and craaaaaazzzyyy!

It all started because I have an appointment after work so I went to the gym for my anti-t-rex plan at lunchtime instead of my normal 3-4 mile walk. As I was finishing up I saw 2 of my workers (well I only found out later it was 2, I only recognized one of them at first) heading out to run. They were out the door and out of sight before I was done. Once I was done I got my sunglasses and decided to go out for a short walk since I still had some time left before my next meeting. Well I get out there and see the 2 people running up a bridge, and sprinted to catch up with them. They did not look like they were going that fast, I thought it be easy.

They were doing 9 min pace, up hill. Ops :smile:

I sprinted a quarter-mile hard to catch up. Turned out they were running to packet pickup for a race this weekend (It is on a Sunday so I have to miss it), so I ran with them there. Walked around the expo and then we ran back. A whole like 2.6 or 2.7 miles, I would have rounded off but was already late for a meeting. At least one of the people I was running with was in that same meeting.

Now if I only knew their names...

Anyways that 2.6ish miles will be it for me today. Too many appointments, BUT! This is week 3 of my anti-t-rex plan and I have made all 3 weeks! This is approaching record breaking I think.

OH I forgot to mention...

When I caught up to them the guy that was running with the lady (as far as I know they are just coworkers) said, "I was just telling her you have massive calves like a UPS truck driver."

I am not sure how to take that...

Right?! This is why jeans don't fit me... they go over my waist, but they are super tight and I have to pull them up over my calves and then it is a real chore to get them off my calves too.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    ALSO! Not running related question: my husband has to go in for a colonoscopy on Monday. I swear I remember a conversation here ages about about how to make the prep more tolerable. Whether I’m remembering right or not, anyone have any tips?

Just tell him to stay near a toilet and plan nothing that can not be interrupted regularly with little notice. It honestly is not that bad.

• AJSkinay
    AJSkinay Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    exercise.png
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

Just tell him to stay near a toilet and plan nothing that can not be interrupted regularly with little notice. It honestly is not that bad.

Yeah, he knows that bit - this is his third in five years, so its not a fear-of-the-unknown issue. He’s going to have to do this every year or two for the rest of his life, and really had a hard time with the prep the last couple of times.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I had another half marathon today. I was originally planning on doing the 15k distance as a final hit out before the Auckland Half in three weeks, but this is one of the five runs in the Half Marathon Series so I had to do the 21k if I want all the pieces of the fancy interconnecting series medal, which I do.

Anyway, to preserve my legs I kept my pace a little lower than I expect to run Auckland - aimed for between 5:15 and 5:30, and finished in 1:53:04. It was nice to be running, and running well and reasonably quickly, without the pressure or pain of race pace. It also meant I had plenty of gas in the tank to run the final kilometre in 4:46 and pass about 20 people!

It was a nice day out after a week of wet and wild winter weather, and the temperature was perfect for running. However, as today was the first day of daylight savings, I had to get up an hour earlier (5:40am old time) on an already early start and, on top of that, we went out for dinner last night and got to bed an hour later than usual so missed my preferred 9 hours sleep by a good 3. Consequently I am now completely shattered.
    My newest medal is the biggest I’ve got: e52dwfhzab4n.jpeg

My post race treat:3thctgfrkpfd.jpeg

Wooo hooo Well done
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @ContraryMaryMary @AlphaHowls @eleanorhawkins and anyone else I missed, on your races!