September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Well I had a pretty not cool weekend. I haven't had a chance to read any posts. I ended up needing to call emergency services Saturday morning due to severe abdominal pain that didn't go away after a few hours. I hate hospitals, I'm one of those people that have to be half dead before seeing a doctor, and I hated being transported in an ambulance, but I didn't know what else to do. I felt like my stomach was being chewed on from the inside out. Expected an alien to come chewing out at any moment. I had no other symptoms, just pain. Anyway, after several tests and scans they didn't find anything wrong with me, but the first two rounds of pain meds didn't help much. Around the 10th hour the pain suddenly got worse and they gave me another dose of some "strong" pain medicine that I have never heard of. That one seems to have done the trick but they decided to keep me overnight. So I got no running done this weekend. I was so weak yesterday from dealing with the stress and pain, and today after leaving the hospital, I've been trying to drink lots of liquids and walking around to get the meds out of my system. So....I am not going to meet my running goal for the month. Just going to focus on doing what I need to so I can run my half on Thursday.
    So, this is just a hunch based on your past history, but given that you recently had unexplained calf pain plus weird feeling “off” heart issues, I’m concerned you may have a blood clot which has moved into your abdomen. That can also cause nausea and circulatory system stress without your EKG showing anything. If you continue feeling bad ask for a d dimer which should rule out a clot.

Hopefully there’s nothing really wrong and this will never bother you again, but just in case I would hate for something to happen to you because I failed to mention it! Feel better soon, and good luck with your half.

Omg, that's not scary or anything :D . The calf pain came from my son who was playing ninja and wasn't being mean but really wanted to show me his "skills". He grabbed my left leg from behind forcing me to balance on my right leg and he struck my calf repeatedly with his bony little elbow. I had a couple of knots from that and it felt pretty messed up. Then two days later I banged the same spot on a sharp corner (bad luck). I used Arnica and heperin gel. Do you think this could still be a blood clot knowing the stem of the calf pain? They did a CT scan and they did see something there, but I think they said it was just stool. The problem was, when the nurse or doctor came in to tell me the results of the CT, was at the same moment when I was retching or had just retched from the pain medicine. Because all this was related in German and the bad timing I can't recall exactly what they said. I had an ultrasound earlier and she said she saw liquid in my stomach but that the CT should clarify it. So thanks for the suggestion. I will keep an eye on how things are going. This is just crazy. I ain't got time for this!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins aww, now how about I ship you some of the swag? Don’t let me forget come January and I’ll get it to you. And/ Or you can give me your t shirt size and I’ll order ya one or medal if you prefer. I think with this years package we’re already in the November streak thing... I tried to ignore the emails too, but they were so well put together and the dealings I’ve had with them were like dealing with old pals. So, I caved. It’ll give me something to look forward too, I hope.

Preface jitters? Nah, girl you got this. It’s just a run with other runners. Play it smart, listen to your body, rest regularly and have a treat now and then. Don’t start any new training, no speed work or terrain changes, stick to your tried and true shoes. You got this. You’re trained for this. Your strong. You’re a runner. Say it again... YOU ARE A RUNNER... ya again. Say it until you believe it!

@Elise4270 💜💜 love you! I am a run-walk-runner, I do believe it! The plan is in place and I've made the decision to stop trying to lose the couple of pounds I want to until after the race, my body deserves sufficient fuel to do it right.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Well I had a pretty not cool weekend. I haven't had a chance to read any posts. I ended up needing to call emergency services Saturday morning due to severe abdominal pain that didn't go away after a few hours. I hate hospitals, I'm one of those people that have to be half dead before seeing a doctor, and I hated being transported in an ambulance, but I didn't know what else to do. I felt like my stomach was being chewed on from the inside out. Expected an alien to come chewing out at any moment. I had no other symptoms, just pain. Anyway, after several tests and scans they didn't find anything wrong with me, but the first two rounds of pain meds didn't help much. Around the 10th hour the pain suddenly got worse and they gave me another dose of some "strong" pain medicine that I have never heard of. That one seems to have done the trick but they decided to keep me overnight. So I got no running done this weekend. I was so weak yesterday from dealing with the stress and pain, and today after leaving the hospital, I've been trying to drink lots of liquids and walking around to get the meds out of my system. So....I am not going to meet my running goal for the month. Just going to focus on doing what I need to so I can run my half on Thursday.
    So, this is just a hunch based on your past history, but given that you recently had unexplained calf pain plus weird feeling “off” heart issues, I’m concerned you may have a blood clot which has moved into your abdomen. That can also cause nausea and circulatory system stress without your EKG showing anything. If you continue feeling bad ask for a d dimer which should rule out a clot.

Hopefully there’s nothing really wrong and this will never bother you again, but just in case I would hate for something to happen to you because I failed to mention it! Feel better soon, and good luck with your half.

Omg, that's not scary or anything :D . The calf pain came from my son who was playing ninja and wasn't being mean but really wanted to show me his "skills". He grabbed my left leg from behind forcing me to balance on my right leg and he struck my calf repeatedly with his bony little elbow. I had a couple of knots from that and it felt pretty messed up. Then two days later I banged the same spot on a sharp corner (bad luck). I used Arnica and heperin gel. Do you think this could still be a blood clot knowing the stem of the calf pain? They did a CT scan and they did see something there, but I think they said it was just stool. The problem was, when the nurse or doctor came in to tell me the results of the CT, was at the same moment when I was retching or had just retched from the pain medicine. Because all this was related in German and the bad timing I can't recall exactly what they said. I had an ultrasound earlier and she said she saw liquid in my stomach but that the CT should clarify it. So thanks for the suggestion. I will keep an eye on how things are going. This is just crazy. I ain't got time for this!
    Well, I don’t want to scare you! I have two different conditions which raise my likelihood of blood clots, so I’m more aware of the possibility than most people. But doctors have a tendency to overlook clots which don’t have “classic” symptoms, and I did remember you were concerned about your heart rate earlier.

I’m also very familiar with sudden abdominal pain, going to the ER and being told there’s nothing wrong, given massive drips of morphine and sent home! In my case what was wrong was an ovarian torsion caused by a large (fortunately benign) tumor which ended up having to come out after it caused necrosis of the ovary. ER doctors aren’t always the best diagnosticians, you have to advocate for yourself (or if you are retching or otherwise unable, bring someone to advocate for you) and not let them blow you off.

Here’s hoping it really was gas, or stress, or otherwise passing and minor.
  • AJSkinay
    AJSkinay Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Not feeling it tonight, was meant to do 7km, had a walk after 4km and abandoned at 5km.
    Finished for the month, has gone well generally even with a downbeat finish.
    Goals September:
    13 Runs................................13 run
    71km....................................68 km
    5km PB.................................Done 1 & 7 Sep
    6km PB.................................Done 1 & 7 Sep
    7km.......................................Done 22 Sep
    Child to do 5km...................Done 5 Sep
    Child to do r/w of 10/1m....Done 28 Sep
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    September Goal: 160km

02/9: 5.11
    03/9: 8.11
    04/9: 6.73
    06/9: 8.46
    07/9: 14.06
    09/9: 6.15
    11/9: 13.05
    13/9: 8.44
    14/9: 16.14
    16/9: 5.22
    17/9: 8.11
    18/9: 5.34
    20/9: 8.07
    21/9: 14.51
    23/9: 5.54
    24/9: 10.08
    25/9: 5.36
    27/9: 10.14
    28/9: 18.3
    30/9: 5.06

Total KM run: 181.98

Quick little run around the neighbourhood after work. I was meant to go this morning, but with daylight savings starting my usual 5am alarm was really 4am and that just wasn't happening today.

@ContraryMaryMary Awesome job on the half, that's a great pace for a relaxed run!
    @eleanorhawkins Way to go on your race, it sounds like a really fun race to be part of
    @143tobe I really hope they can figure out what's wrong soon and it's nothing serious *hugs*

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    9-1 4k recovery
    9-2 7k easy
    9-3 6k easy
    9-4 rest
    9-5 7k moderate
    9-6 rest
    9-7 7k moderate
    9-8 7k easy
    9-9 rest
    9-10 7k easy
    9-11 7k moderate
    9-12 rest
    9-13 rest
    9-14 7k threshold
    9-15 7k moderate
    9-16 rest
    9-17 7k easy
    9-18 7k moderate
    9-19 rest
    9-20 7k easy
    9-21 rest
    9-22 6k all over the place
    9-23 rest
    9-24 7k moderate
    9-25 10k slow
    9-26 rest
    9-27 7k threshold
    9-28 rest
    9-29 8k moderate
    9-30 rest

September Total: 135k
    September Goal: 135k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k
    August Total: 133k
    September Total: 135k

2019 total: 1,308k / 811m

Monthly average: 145.3k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races. Completed 8-31
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen - Completed 9-28

Scheduled rest day today. No golf; they're aerating the greens.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k - 31:39 chip time; 32:00 Garmin time; Third Place male 60 and older
    9-14 Gift of Life 5k - off the schedule; insufficient recovery time
    10-13 Haunted Hustle 5k