September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Well done!

And we really just need pick a time and stop messing with the clocks. hashtag grrr (we did no switch till after Halloween here in the USA, might interfere with candy sales otherwise)

@eleanorhawkins - Great job pushing through despite the conditions!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary @eleanorhawkins great job on your races!
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well done to everyone who has run and raced this weekend!

01 Sep - 5.6 miles (outside)
    02 Sep - 2 miles (treadmill)
    04 Sep - 3.3 miles (outside)
    05 Sep - 1.75 miles (treadmill)
    07 Sep - 10 miles (outside)
    09 Sep - 2 miles (treadmill)
    11 Sep - 3 miles (treadmill - now to dark to run around my way in the AM)
    12 Sep - 1.9 miles (treadmill)
    13 Sep - 1.7 miles (treadmill)
    21 Sep - 7.3 miles (outside)
    23 Sep - 2 miles (treadmill)
    25 Sep - 4 miles (treadmill)
    26 Sep - 2 miles (treadmill)
    29 Sep - 6.2 miles (outside)

52.75 miles of ??7

Did my last long-ish run before my first HM next Sunday. Not entirely sure how I'm feeling about it seeing as I didn't get to run as far/as much as I'd hoped in preparation, but it's too late now! Will manage a few short, slow runs in the week before I rest up!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Well I had a pretty not cool weekend. I haven't had a chance to read any posts. I ended up needing to call emergency services Saturday morning due to severe abdominal pain that didn't go away after a few hours. I hate hospitals, I'm one of those people that have to be half dead before seeing a doctor, and I hated being transported in an ambulance, but I didn't know what else to do. I felt like my stomach was being chewed on from the inside out. Expected an alien to come chewing out at any moment. I had no other symptoms, just pain. Anyway, after several tests and scans they didn't find anything wrong with me, but the first two rounds of pain meds didn't help much. Around the 10th hour the pain suddenly got worse and they gave me another dose of some "strong" pain medicine that I have never heard of. That one seems to have done the trick but they decided to keep me overnight. So I got no running done this weekend. I was so weak yesterday from dealing with the stress and pain, and today after leaving the hospital, I've been trying to drink lots of liquids and walking around to get the meds out of my system. So....I am not going to meet my running goal for the month. Just going to focus on doing what I need to so I can run my half on Thursday.

OMG that sounds awful! Did they figure it out? Might sound strange but Gas pains can be like that. I've had them so bad I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. But then never had it last hours
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo , yeah, my husband and I thought it could be gas pains so in the morning when it started I took some anti gas drops and took a bath to relax everything. I tried to massage my stomach the best I could, but when it only got worse after a few hours is when I decided to go. It didn't feel like gas pains, but I know it was a possibility. I didn't want to get detailed, but the pain actually disappeared after I dry heaved from when the third dose of pain medicine made me feel sick. It really hurt to sit up so I could throw up, but after I did that, it's like my whole body relaxed and my pain was magically gone. So if gas can some out from retching than maybe it was gas? I don't know! When all my tests came back clear I was so afraid they were going to call psych next. :# I was beginning to wonder if it was psychosomatic. I went to bed the night before with some pressure on my chest, but I think I was just feeling stressed because my youngest son was sick. I woke up with the same pressure on my chest but it went away and was replaced by my stomach pain. I told them this, they did an EKG but it didn't indicate anything wrong.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hey October? Poor ladies down under don’t have a thread... anyone?

ETA ok.. I’m gonna try it... no guarantees I won’t mess it up....
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary and @eleanorhawkins Great job on the races!

We’re back to summer heat again but at least it’s not as humid - ran 5 miles on the Greenline. Husband’s ankle still not the greatest, he called for a walk break to let it loosen up after 3 miles, but then decided to finish at a run since it weirdly bothers him more while walking. We took it very easy overall. Heat really makes a difference.

That’s my 50 mile goal for September, not going to make my 60 mile stretch goal but I’m satisfied because the reason for less mileage is a couple of cut back weeks so we could do well at races, and we did well at both races. I should get in one more run this month tomorrow, lifting today.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Good morning! Yesterday I ran a mile indoors on the treadmill at an incline and a higher speed. My time wasn’t great, but the point is, I pushed myself. I wanted to puke. I saw other people running at faster speeds last week and wondered why I never do that.... so I started to last week but yesterday I had to really push.

I also read that I should NEVER lift in running shoes. So I switched that. And ordered some Salomons for running as my Mizunos are worn out and my feet have been killing me for days after the gym.

My left arch, to be specific. The pain causes a limp and causes me to wince with every step. I haven’t run outdoors since I signed up for the goal because I am afraid to go run in old shoes, outside, already in pain. Do any of you have experience with this or know what is wrong? I haven’t met my insurance deductible yet so I’d love to NOT go to the doctor yet!

Good news is my new shoes will be here October 1, so just in time to set a goal for October ;)

Sounds like maybe plantar fasciitis? There are various things to try, but what worked for me was mostly time and letting my feet get stronger. New shoes should definitely help. You could try rolling the bottom of your foot on a tennis ball.

As far as the other runners being faster, never compare yourself to others! They are at a different stage in their journey. It’s okay to be slow starting out. As you add mileage you will naturally get faster. Then you can also add in some intervals to learn what a faster pace feels like. But you definitely don’t need to push yourself until you feel like you’re going to puke! It won’t help you in the long run and there are no medals for going fast on a treadmill.