WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Sunny, 17C, light breezes ... beautiful day out there. After spraying the house with eucalyptus to try to kill germs, today I've decided to open the windows and let the fresh air in here.

I've also been packing away the Vit C, Vit D and Zinc.

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    weighed self today. I'm sure I weighed myself in august but according to mis I haven't register a weight since early august. I think I was back up to around 60k at the beginning of september but not sure.
    hard to lose a kilo If I didn't know what I weighed!

on aug 1 I was 59.3
    today (lower than some days recently) I'm 59.5

I guess I'll make a rough aim for 59, and I'll happily take anything under the present for this month

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Awake early, but slept well. Got more than six hours. I did have a nap yesterday, so that's fine.

The day is dawning with a clear blue sky. I'm looking forward to my morning exercises, then a half hour walk to the train station to meet my friend. We will wander to a restaurant and probably have another wander after the meal along the seafront.
    I've planned an easy meal for tonight when DH gets back from cricket. Roasted eggplant and zucchini with homemade bolognese sauce I'm getting out of the freezer. He will need a meal, but I will be TIRED! Fortunately, he really does appreciate my efforts!

My cleaning organiser is not answering my texts. A puzzlement. I'm not too bothered about this week as my son is not a fusspot and the place isn't too bad. I just need to give my bathroom a quick wipe down before I vacate it for him. But we have visitors the weekend after we get back from the cruise and I don't want to be worrying in my my OCD way about that.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    grateful

a few more days before classes start
    sunny weather
    time w out appointments today to get stuff done
    medical circuit somewhat resolved for now
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka9 I didn't know there were different types of progressives with different proportions of near and far. I became near-sighted at around 40 (I think that used to be unusual, but might have become less-so with screen use) at an age when many people become farsighted. it seems that my nearsightedness evolved w farsightedness to cancel one another out for close up seeing, so I get by w out glasses for reading. my prescription is 0.5 for reading. The progressives were more that double the price so I have forgone them for now. Sometimes it's a trick to read tiny food labels. I think regular reading books might be slightly more uncomfortable too.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    up and down days. yesterday morning a mid-level person was very difficult and unreasonable and threatening, but in end of the day I stopped by the assistant directors and she said she would work it out. I felt relieved. Then yesterday late at night I checked my hours online at another school and saw they didn't put in all my year's hours. We're in a transition year in terms of scheduling and I said I'd accept another small class or two (15-19 hours over 10 weeks) if paid in the same way as other classes. i was very firm about that and reading back my mails in June and July it seems we agreed though it's not archi-explicit. But I was super explicit last week again, when they requested a meeting on this subject: I'm not doing them if they are paid a different way than the other classes. I thought it was resolved but I think they are trying to be super-sneaky and not tell me till classes start. We had 3 meetings about the subject and the person (who I had thought and said was Franck and straightforward) who decided or registers this, said I need to check online, that she won't remember to telle me. I checked online as a formality. It seems like they registered hours in a way I did not agree to. I wrote a very firm mail saying I'm not doing the classes in that condition. Classes are starting Monday. and the guy organising groupes and schedules is supposed to organise and send of class lists by tomorrow. it's cr@ppy. We also have much bigger classes than we are supposed to and are not paid for the supplement whereas there was a vote that if teachers have more than 25 students for this kind of practical class there is a grid for the supplement.

it pisses me off to have to spend time on this.

writing about it probably makes me feel worse. I had forgotten about it waking up.

I'm gonna go to the café w the café cat today. I used to only drink tea but now drink some coffee. I wonder if that has bearing on inflammation; on line it mostly says it's anti-inflammatory.Same for red wine.Though research does evolve and change so it's good to pay attention to experience too.

very sunny day and nice weather.

I have to list an ad for one of my tiny studios for rent.Very easy to rent at anytime really but September is really even more so.There are 500,000 college students in Paris.

I'm gonna aim to enjoy this day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 I didn't know there were different types of progressives with different proportions of near and far. I became near-sighted at around 40 (I think that used to be unusual, but might have become less-so with screen use) at an age when many people become farsighted. it seems that my nearsightedness evolved w farsightedness to cancel one another out for close up seeing, so I get by w out glasses for reading. my prescription is 0.5 for reading. The progressives were more that double the price so I have forgone them for now. Sometimes it's a trick to read tiny food labels. I think regular reading books might be slightly more uncomfortable too.

I became near-sighted at the age of about 10. I'm very near-sighted! But in my mid-40s my eyesight started to change.

So I went to a cheap, chain optometrist who put me into desk progressives and distance progressives. The desk progressives were all right, but the distance progressives were so incredibly wrong. They couldn't be bothered to fix it and I didn't have the time to mess around with it because we were moving, so I told them to change them to no-line bifocals ... and got bifocals like our grandmothers used to wear. :neutral:

I put up with those for a few years and finally went to our current optometrist who took one look at them and told me there is a better way!

Now I've got updated desk progressives and good distance progressives.

I need to wear the distance progressives more often because I find myself going out at lunch with my desk progressives and I'm squinting at things in the distance. That might be part of my eye strain issues. The times I've remembered my distance progressives, my eyes do feel better.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

I have been looking high and low for a diamond dotz that is at least 12x16 (the picture). Everything that I’ve gotten is 14x16 (that’s an OK size) only that’s for the canvas, not the picture. I need the PICTURE to be at least 12x16. I’m getting so very frustrated. One seller on Amazon assured me that the canvas size was 40x45. But that’s not what I get when I measure it and Amazon won’t let me order a larger size for this picture. AHHHHH

Michele in NC

Michele Diamonddotz.com has tons of larger designs.
    bn8cq7b8bd5r.png
    spumw9qiwltm.png
    35wc4ccgecg3.png
    t4bm5kf336bb.png

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Michele I have seen the Couch to 5K advertised on many of the National Health websites, one particular one called Change for Life shows you how to swap high calorie food to lower calorie etc. saw the Couch to 5K advertised as a good way to get fit, thought about it, but didn't do anything!

Then we got Leah a couple of years ago, she's a very fast walker and I was finding it hard to keep up with her lol.
    I was also feeling very fat, heavy and unfit, tried various exercise routines didn't stick with them. Went back to have a look at Couch to 5K and saw that I could download it onto my new smart phone so I did :) I chose Sarah Millican as my voice coach. I did the first few days in the house, just walking from room to room or on the spot, same for the running (only 60 seconds at first which was a struggle for me). By day 3 though I thought I'd go out early and walk/run around the block. It was much better outside, I am lucky in that I live in a quiet (ish) area and can run near the golf course where there are lots of trees and if it's early and quiet enough listen to the birds. Quite relaxing - apart from the running :D I do three days a week Sunday Tuesday and Thursday.

Dand1986 Sending Hugs <3

Beth Good idea about keeping busy so as not to be tempted, I'll have to keep that in mind when I am on one of my binges.

Heather Don't you just hate it when people don't get back to you, I left two messages with the Kitchen designer last week, he decided to call back yesterday when I was unprepared and I forgot to ask him about a query on the delivery. Grrr

Allie How lovely to have found a frame with Chester already printed, hope he is doing okay <3

Well I'd better get ready to go into town, mum has just called to say that she is up and having her breakfast. Looks like it could be a sunny day, it was quite cold earlier this morning.

Love to all <3
    Viv UK
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka9 I didn't know progressives were so complicated. a contact lens place tried to fit me for progressive contacts w several fitting appointments; it didn't work. they then said some people try a distance contact in one eye and no contact (in my case) or a close up contact in the other eye. I didn't do well with contacts; am very happy to wear glasses now. I'm fairly smiley and glasses seem to make me look more serious, that's good for a teacher in my area.
  • bananasandoranges
    edited September 2019
    Options
    update:
    1) person from school one wrote back at 8:30 am to say that the director agreed on rate we said we'd work at yesterday. I think she was testing how far she could push, but anyway, got my answer. I hate having to waste time this way, but it seems to be par for the course in this day and age in my field and situation anyway.

2) other school, a very senior teacher and union person offered also to speak to the evil mid-management person OR if I prefer to do a union action.she said the mid-management's position (email) didn't correspond to the practice at the school. (long story) I'm leaning towards the former which is less stressful, the the latter could be useful to avoid continuation of the same.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Wireless headphones – I have a set of Sony that I like. They have paired with my Iphone 6plus and the Xr. Got them at Best Buy a couple of years ago for around $40. Good quality sound, quick charge, fit well.

@dandl1986 – sorry it appears one set of issues is replacing another. It can take time to get our systems balanced back out. Don’t give up or project ahead about how the winter will be.

@bananasandoranges – we were paired by the credit hour (15 week semester). I made a bit more teaching course at local university rather than the community college. I have my PhD and several years of experience. Both places had a scale that indicated where you would fall. I think last time I taught at university it was 3,500 or so per course. Of course, it was extra money for me (had a full-time job elsewhere). Piecing together a full-time wage would have been a bit difficult. We were not covered by any union since we were adjuncts. I take any weight loss as a victory!

Slept well last night. Off to get some treadmill in before work. Only work half day today so I can get to medical appointment. Have some things to accomplish at work before leaving.

Have a good day all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    having my tea and then will go take Chester to the vet Tom is opting to put him through a whole day of IV fluids, at this point,I think he is going a bit overboard.. but will do what is needed..
    also have to pick up my DGD 1/2 day at the bus stop and take my elderly neighbor down to the Dentist.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    '''''''
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    dandl1986 wrote: »
    Well, I am not as happy tonight as I thought I would be. Had my doctor appointment. Seems things are not as rosy as I thought. My A1C and liver enzymes are so very much improved, my doctor was shocked and elated, but he quickly pointed out that as much as those had gotten better, my kidneys are now in decline which really sucks. So looks like I need to set some new goals. First, I was dehydrated, so I will now need to start recording my water and am going to try to get a 6 cups as first, I just don't drink that much so thought this would be a good starting point. I am also starting a new medicine for my kidneys. And, since my liver is better now, he is taking me off an anitiflammatory I have taken for like 10 years, and I am supposed to try just Tylenol instead, hmmmm, we put me on the other meds cause plain tylenol did nothing for the pain. So, looks like a lot more changes than I thought. I was pretty sad after the appointment. I have been working too hard to just have another organ decide to be a pain. So, what did I do, got ice cream sigh I did exercise though so not too far over the calorie limits. Still, I can't afford to allow myself to get depressed about this and fall off my wagon. I will sleep on it and hope tomorrow I get my feeling of inspiration back. I have been working towards this appt for 3 months. Going to need something to get me through the holidays and bad weather that will be coming. Thanks for listening.

dandl1986 .. are you by chance on a calcium channel blocker for high blood pressure? Like Diovan? For years my son's blood pressure was controlled by Diovan but when he went to have bloodwork for surgery discovered his kidneys were in serious trouble. Ended up in the hospital. Yes, he was dehydrated and that immediately helped. But doctors also took him off anti-inflammatories, allergy meds and his BP meds at that time that included Diovan. Changed those to another type of BP med. His kidney numbers are now normal. Just a thought. In any event, do not let this derail your efforts!! Your appointment would have been much worse if your doctor told you that you had to start insulin and medications for your liver. You're doing a great job!
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Alison ~ What are the fluid injections far? I've never heard of that.

Michele ~ I hope when you get all the dwarfs finished you will show us a photo of the arrangement you make. Bet it will be cute.

Debbie ~ Continued good thoughts for your daughter and grandson.

Had a message from my SnL! BnL is back in the hospital and they have decided he has developed dementia related to the heart bypass surgery he had a month ago. He has not been mentally well since then. Prayers for them would be greatly appreciated.

Carol in GA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Ddd