WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Lisa: Congratulations on your home projects! :bigsmile:

NYKaren: “I think I have to recognize what I am in control of (my actions) and let the rest go.” Brilliant! This is an excellent plan. :flowerforyou:

My riding plans have been changed for tomorrow. I’ll have my lesson earlier in the day. There is still lightning in tomorrow’s forecast. If it happens or even looks threatening, we can stay inside the arena.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good morning/afternoon (or evening) and happy weekend!

I hadn't been eating as healthily as intended over the last week or so due to multiple stresses. But happy to report that my weight loss that began earlier in the month has remained stable. Also happy to report BF is doing great after having TURP last Thursday.

Yesterday, I stopped by my mechanic's shop. While there, my new transmission was delivered by the shipper. Seeing it brought tears to my eyes. I like being physically active and I like car camping. I own a couple of cars, but this the only one that allows for mine and BF's bikes being quickly/easily piled into the back (for a day ride); the only one with a roof rack for my kayak; the only one I went to the trouble of getting a Thule cargo carrier for and the only one wide and long enough for the two of us to sleep in if rains while camping. I can't recall being so excited about the arrival of an inanimate object. :smiley: And looking forward to doing all those activities next year is great motivation for me to get in shape!!!

Allie Lhasas and Shih Tzu (similar features) are both intelligent, sweet, loving dogs. I wasn't sure which one was your Chester. We had a red haired Lhasa when my boys were in their teens. We named her named her Allie :-) It's incredibly tough letting a loved one go . . . <3

Rebecca You are very fortunate to have a son whose home he shares with you. How has your DH been since the liver transplant?
    My dream would be to live in a warmer climate (the Yucatan or in Panama, perhaps) for a few years before settling down in an RV traveling and/or living on my eldest son's rural 17.5 acres - off the grid. Although I have lived outside of the US on my own, I have reservations about doing so at the age I am now. My dream is rather dependent on BF "getting on-board" and his profession allows him to work into advancing years, so, we'll see.

Sharon <3 Relating the how you spent the last remaining time with your DH brought tears to my eyes. <3 Thank you for sharing.

SuziQ I have tried alternatives to sugar and didn't find one that I liked much, so at the beginning of this month I gave up all sugars. About five days later I no longer felt like I was jonesing for some sweetness. But I had not cleaned out my cupboards, and last week I succumbed. This morning, I cleaned out all my cupboards :wink: I don't know about you, but I've been pre-T2D for a while so it will behoove me to lessen high sugar veggies as well.

M in Oz Good to hear you're back on the bike, both figuratively and literally :smiley:

Lisa in AR Until ten years ago, like you, I've lived a rather peripatetic life. There can be many advantages to "settling" in one place even with less pay. I'm much calmer and satisfied with my life now :smile: Your job sounds like it could be very fulfilling! Best wishes!

AZTeri Wow!!! 34.55 miles! Very impressive :smiley:

Book reading Since the boom in computer and internet usage, my reading is more research and fact based than before. I'm a bit behind in reading current materials for leisure. I'm about half-way through The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and recommend it to anyone with interest in diet, nutrition and the US agricultural system.

Languages I attended a French immersion school from 12-14 and had three years of Spanish in high school. Living in Spain b.c. (before children ;-) I taught English for two years. During my four years in Europe and North Africa, I picked up some Arabic and Greek also. Being able to speak anything but English now is just about nil. I don't recall who in the group mentioned DUOLINGO, but I'll definitely be looking into it since an upcoming winter aim is to refresh my Spanish speaking skills. I've read/heard that learning/speaking a foreign language is one of the best ways to keep one's mind sharp into advancing years

Newbies Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! :smile:

Rho

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I would love to join this group if it isn't too late? Realizing we are almost at the end of Sept. I'm just starting out with 11 kg to lose as my first milestone. I think it's about 23 pounds. Really enjoying reading the threads and seeing how you all support each other 😊 Sarah

:)Hi Sarah, It is never too late to start. We start a new thread each month but right now we're all taking September one day at a time. The women on this thread have supported me and encouraged me along the way. Our lives are different in many ways but we share what's going on and there is always someone who can relate and respond.

:'( Our younger dog, Bessie, had some bad tummy troubles that resulted in bad messes on the rug and a visit to the vet. The good news is that lab work shows nothing seriously wrong but the vet suggested a bland diet for awhile so Jake is at the store buying chicken breast and I'm making rice while he's gone so we can prepare her meals for the next few days. I had big plans for getting things done in the yard with all the new bulbs that came and instead, we spent time at the vet and staying by Bessie's side at home in case she needed to be rushed outside for a walk.

:)Lisa, your work on your house is as impressive as the home remodel shows I watch on TV. You and Corey are amazing to do all that and still have full time jobs

klanders30 wrote: »

I think I have to recognize what I am in control of (my actions)!and let the rest go.

NYKAREN

:)Karen, that is a great philosophy that I can use for what's going on in my life.

1031910m5uhc2jyfc.gif Barbie in NW WA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Rori - Congratulations to your brother. It will be nice for you to have him remain in the area.

NY Karen - I love the support your husband is giving you. I’m not so sure mine would do the same.

Lisa - I cant imagine switching jobs as much as you. I have moved a lot but not changed jobs really since we moved here 20 years ago. The last two years have been a bump in the road for me and I hope that’s the last of them.

Lanette - Our national healthcare does not include vision, dental or prescriptions. Children under 5 have free vision care and some eye diseases will be covered but not regular vision issues. I don’t know that there is any dental covered in any circumstance. Benefits with our jobs cover those or we can but individual insurance as well. We get all doctor visits, bloodwork and tests covered as well as any hospital stays.

Alzheimer’s - my Dad’s side is full of Alzheimer’s and dementia, his Mother and two of his siblings were fully diagnosed. My dad and one sister were showing signs when they passed from other issues. My Mom’s side there was no history of it documented although her grandfather had what they called hardening of the arteries that caused some dementia behaviours. My Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2016 at age 70, she started showing signs in 2012.

I’ve signed up for the brain series that was shared a while ago.

I have been incredibly lazy today, I slept in until 930 and then have sat and watched tv most of the rest of it. I am going to watch my Grandchildren tonight for a couple of hours. My Son in Law is accompanying his grandparents to his sisters in Florida. My daughter has taken the week off work but they missed today. She works until 930 and he is leaving at 8.

I have to do some cleaning tomorrow, but we’ll see how the day goes before I make any commitments I am still not feeling 100% from my cold and toothache.

Tracey In Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Went in the pool but really don’t have time to start stringing popcorn as I have to leave for church in about 45 minutes.

Rebecca – if I were to tell Vince “you have 4 lunches to plan and $10 to do it” I know that he’d choose nothing but junk food which is usually cheaper.

Welcome everyone new! There’s no time like the present, so come on in!

Rho – boy, I didn’t realize how active you were! How wonderful you’re getting the new transmission. I love Michael Pollen’s works. I’ve read and reread them

Started working on the diamond dotz for Colby. I was trying to avoid having to mat the picture, but I don’t think it can be helped. The good part is that this helps keep me busy at night, meaning not eating….lol

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Had an impromptu get together with the girls tonight at my place and had a few laughs going to the winery tomorrow but I'll bring water
    Got DFIL hamburger and french fries for dinner. He chowed them right down..
    Tucked in for the nightt
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    AZTeri2016 wrote: »
    I’ve been MIA but I wanted to share what we did today - This year has been challenging, health wise, so we’ve not been able to ride like we used to. Well, today shattered that - we rode 34.55 miles. I’m sore, but it’s a good sore. And I see pizza in my future tonight!

Well done! :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day

Treadmill Jog- 42.07min, 10.31min mi, 5.5-8.0sp 140ahr, 153mhr, 4mi= 521c
    Arm-chin- 8.39min, 142ahr 3sts of 10ea = 138c
    WAlking- 55min. - 273c

Total cal 876
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Just catching up! It’s been a busy week!

My baby girl turned 16 Wednesday. She requested dinner at her favorite Chinese restaurant and was elated that I only ate half of mine so she could have leftovers. My sister turned 48 Thursday. I brought her a big cookie from Kroger. My mom will turn 81 on September 25. This will be a big party with all of the issues she has had this year. She is doing well, but the arimidex makes her tired.

Languages - my grandmother was a German immigrant. My dad was fluent. I took German in college. I read it well, but I struggle to speak it well. I have to think too much about word order. I have the same issue with Spanish which I took in junior high and high school. My daughter and I took Mandarin. I have a lot of characters memorized, but I can’t get the tones right. Interestingly, I’m almost fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) thanks to a deaf neighbor who taught me to sign.

Family Health - my dad dropped dead of a heart attack in the shower at age 62. My mom had breast cancer at 40 and has now recurred 40 years later. She also had a stroke in February. She had untreated high blood pressure for years. They both smoked from their teen years. This is why I became so adamant that I had to get healthy!!

I need to be at church by 9 to help a new choir member find vestments. Still 90 plus degrees here and now we are in drought conditions. Hard to believe it was so wet all spring and early summer!!

Connie in KY
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)