I'm not sure I understand the point of bathing...

Options

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Bathtubs are poor people imitating the rich folks habits. You missing a bunch of key elements like the people scrubbing you down and helping you bathe.

Also, bathing was the way to go before the days of running water. Bathtubs just got marketed well which led them to stay in homes mainly cause they were becoming sold as the idea way to clean your children. And the idea of children go hand in hand with the idea of a home.

In today's world showering is the ideal way to go as an adult.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Nothing is better than a long hot soak in the jacuzzi tub followed up with a shower. Because who really washes their hair in the bathtub? But it's great for cleaning the shelves in my fridge and other large items like toddlers.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a weirdo...I shower-bathe.

I LOVE baths, but I can't wash my hair properly in them and I don't like the idea of soaking in my own dirt. So I take a quick shower and then a bath afterward if I feel like it. Like the PP, it's usually when I'm cold or sore OR when I'm hiding from my noisy house.

I do almost all my reading in the bathtub....and I own quote a few waterlogged books because of it.

I shower-bath too! It is the only place I read as well, I have quite a few books that are waterlogged my book shelf looks kind of comical lol.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Whenever I take a bath, I always shower after.

this is back to front; you should cleanse in the shower, then get into the bath
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I usually only bathe over shower when I want to be lazy and read a book. A hot soaking bath and a good book are awesome.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Er, how dirty are you people?! I bathe frequently -- my water is not filthy when I am done. I don't wash my hair in my bath water and I use wet wipes after using the toilet. I don't have oily skin.

If I am particularly gross, I shower first. I do not see what the big deal is.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Ok. At first I thought "who on Earth could be starting a post knocking basic hygiene?" Then I read it and get it. It's the whole TUB thing versus shower. Well...I interject that as much as it feels good to soak in a tub...my buoyant parts don't go below the water

I am a huge fan of buoyant parts...
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I live in Japan, most bathrooms are wet rooms so you take a shower outside the tub and scrub and wash your hair etc, then you soak in the tub after.
  • MsMel123
    MsMel123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The only good reason to have a bathtub:

tumblr_mhpp1owkBU1rwdfeoo1_500.jpg
    [
    this^^^^^^^^^^^/quote]and then a shower
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love baths! prefer them over showers, especially in winter like it is now.

And if you shower everyday and then have a bath, I don't think you are bathing in your own filth - its about 24 hours at most after you last showered so I don't see how you can be filthy.

of course if you haven't bathed/showered in a few days then bathe - I agree about sitting in your own dirt, but that's just gross.
  • MamaDuckN2MamaWow
    MamaDuckN2MamaWow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I almost always sit down in the tub because I use alot of scrubs and soaks to detox and wear mud masks on my face frequently. If I am actually "dirty" like I've sweat all day or I've been cleaning the house or working outside, yes I shower first because that's disgusting, but if all I've done all day is sit around the house or sat in my office at work, I'm sitting down in the tub first, relaxing, then getting up showering with a scrub brush, soap, and sham/cond my hair.
  • eidnahenri2
    Options
    Long soak first, not usually much "filth" from just soaking (I guess I don't get as dirty as some people?), then after, once there's more hot water, shower to get my pre-soaked self clean. It's like hand washing dishes... I wouldn't wash and rinse them under running water first, then leave them to soak in the sink after they're clean.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I would probably do baths more often if they weren't so damned small. I can't ever get comfy and I'm only 64". I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be for your taller human.

Baths are otherwise alright, although I still prefer showers just for expediency sake.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I bathe about 90% of the time and shower the rest of the time. It is my 20 minutes of me time to relax.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Shower
    - hot water massage on neck and back
    - pleasant variation of water movement patterns & pressure - meditative, distracting, repetitive
    - more relaxing BECAUSE of the nice water movement and being able to move around, restlessness gets out of the body. can relax mind enough to sing ABBA songs & dance within the bounds of safety - feel alive
    - easy temperature control
    - a million times cleaner

>

bath:
    - sit in filth
    - associated with pain and sickness
    - temperature annoying to manage (too hot = stay flushed & uncomfortable until you cool a massive body of still water; takes ages for heat to get through a cold bath; it's only perfectly right for 30 seconds)
    - mental and physical restlessness - nowhere to go! trapped! bored!
    - if you do relax it's because you've been stupified by heat - feel like you're half in a coma
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Baths are great. I have this huge Jacuzzi tub and it is wonderful just laying there thinking getting blasted by the water jets with some nice scented candles around.

It is more fun if hubby joins.

It is kind of hard to get out of as it is really deep and big.
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Whenever I take a bath, I always shower after.

This
  • trubs182
    trubs182 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I hate showers. I hate the water blasting at me, hate it drumming on my skin, hate it going in my eyes, hate the fact that no matter how hard I try to keep it dry, my hair gets wet (sorry, I don't wash my hair every day, not necessary).

So yeah, I bath. I never get scum lines, nor does my water change colour, so I have to assume I'm not generating much 'filth' in which to stew.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Long soak first, not usually much "filth" from just soaking (I guess I don't get as dirty as some people?), then after, once there's more hot water, shower to get my pre-soaked self clean. It's like hand washing dishes... I wouldn't wash and rinse them under running water first, then leave them to soak in the sink after they're clean.
    ^this.
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    we only have a bath at home. But as I am at the gym most days I'll use their hot water and shower there! Even the kids only bath once a week now cause they'll get a hot shower after swimming the rest of the time.