I'm not sure I understand the point of bathing...

Options

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Europeans never had showers until they encountered the practice in India.

I always found that tidbit to be interesting.
  • jobassi
    jobassi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We converted our tub into a shower only - I can't take a bath if I wanted to! I think showers are quicker so that conserves water as well.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Damn, ya'll be dirty.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I dont use a bath as my primary source to clean myself, but i do love me some bubble baths. i always shower and wash my hair and then take a bubble bath or something like that.
    or cuddle with the honey in a bubble bath :blushing:
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like baths. BUT!!!

I spent a lot of time in Japan so I tend to do it that way. Get wet in the shower. Turn the water off, scrub all the funk off with plenty of soap. Rinse. Then fill the tub with extremely hot water and maybe something to make it smell nice (or epsom salts if you're sore from exercise) and soak until the water gets cold.

I tend to take baths only when I'm sore from exercise, have a cold or clogged sinuses, it's winter and just that cold or if I need some serious relax time after a stressful day. It happens maybe once every other month.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    Loving the shower snobbery.

lol "shower snobbery":glasses:
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Showers to get clean. Baths to pamper self or relax.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Bathing is an art. I love to bathe. It helps your pores open up, too.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    I like baths. BUT!!!

I spent a lot of time in Japan so I tend to do it that way. Get wet in the shower. Turn the water off, scrub all the funk off with plenty of soap. Rinse. Then fill the tub with extremely hot water and maybe something to make it smell nice (or epsom salts if you're sore from exercise) and soak until the water gets cold.

I tend to take baths only when I'm sore from exercise, have a cold or clogged sinuses, it's winter and just that cold or if I need some serious relax time after a stressful day. It happens maybe once every other month.

when i was in Japan i totally love their sauna spa things, i cant for the life of me remember what they called them, but they were always so relaxing, and i honestly wish we had them here, would be so nice, but bath is the next best thing i guess
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Europeans never had showers until they encountered the practice in India.

I always found that tidbit to be interesting.

Actually, that is fascinating. Never knew that.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I will refrain from answering the question to avoid filthy accusations.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    a bath is more relaxing and a shower is quicker

I don't actually have a bath, just a shower. And the place I'm planning on moving to doesn't either. I guess baths are being phased out. In terms of getting clean (especially when time's an issue) a shower is better, but you can't relax in it the way you relax in a bath....
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    For me, showers are to be clean. Baths are for unwinding, indulging and soaking sore muscles. A bath involves candles, wine, music, bubbles and whatnot.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I shower for cleanliness. I soak in my tub for relaxation. When I use the tub, I soak as long as I like, then shower off afterwards.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Shower to clean, baths to relax. When I take a bath, I light some candles, put in some bubbles, bring a good book and a glass of wine and chill. :smile:

The only other time I really take a bath is when I'm sick...for some reason I ALWAYS get the chills when I'm sick, regardless of what I have, so taking a steaming hot bath is the quickest way to warm me up. Although there was one time where my fever was so high that my ex practically dunked me in an ice bath...hated him for it but it brought my temperature down a bit. Still ended up in the hospital though...ugh.

But yes, baths to relax/when feeling sick!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Er, how dirty are you people?! I bathe frequently -- my water is not filthy when I am done. I don't wash my hair in my bath water and I use wet wipes after using the toilet. I don't have oily skin.

If I am particularly gross, I shower first. I do not see what the big deal is.

That's what I'm thinking. It's not as though I'm encrusted with feces before getting in the tub. :laugh:

Truthfully, I thought this was going to be a parody of exercise calorie threads. "What's the point of exercising if you're just going to eat the calories back" vs. "What's the point of bathing if you're just going to get dirty again."
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I wonder what kind of work many of you do to consider bathing " stewing in my own dirt ". In modern society people are usually not that dirty between daily and often twice daily cleanings.
    Having that said for cleaning purposes I no longer take a bath ( even though I am from a bathing culture ). To save water I only shower now with a water saving shower head. Of course living in a place where there is a constant water shortage and often no water at all, makes that a smart choice.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Er, how dirty are you people?! I bathe frequently -- my water is not filthy when I am done. I don't wash my hair in my bath water and I use wet wipes after using the toilet. I don't have oily skin.

If I am particularly gross, I shower first. I do not see what the big deal is.

That's what I'm thinking. It's not as though I'm encrusted with feces before getting in the tub. :laugh:

Truthfully, I thought this was going to be a parody of exercise calorie threads. "What's the point of exercising if you're just going to eat the calories back" vs. "What's the point of bathing if you're just going to get dirty again."

Right there with you.
  • Izumimon
    Izumimon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like baths. BUT!!!

when i was in Japan i totally love their sauna spa things, i cant for the life of me remember what they called them, but they were always so relaxing, and i honestly wish we had them here, would be so nice, but bath is the next best thing i guess

Onsen/sento. Love them so much!

Not an option in my current place, but in my old house I used to fill the tub, then have a quick soap-up-rinse-off in the adjacent stand-up shower before I hopped in. Was pretty close to the way it worked in my apartment in Japan with the exterior cleaning area. :)
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Showers to get clean. Baths to pamper self or relax.

This.