I'm not sure I understand the point of bathing...

Options

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    baths are disgusting, it's like sitting in your own filth! lol, it's one thing with babies they like to play BUT i prefer showers, it doesn't help either I'm too tall for most bath tubs, and a nice hot shower running over my face after a long day is my relaxation!

my thoughts exactly. I am totally grossed out at the thought of sitting in a bathtub with everything just floating around me. Your dirt and oils swimming around you..eeewwwwww!!! When I had a bad relapse and couldn't stand I got a shower chair. There was no way I was going to sit in a tub.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Er, how dirty are you people?! I bathe frequently -- my water is not filthy when I am done. I don't wash my hair in my bath water and I use wet wipes after using the toilet. I don't have oily skin.

If I am particularly gross, I shower first. I do not see what the big deal is.

That's what I'm thinking. It's not as though I'm encrusted with feces before getting in the tub. :laugh:

Truthfully, I thought this was going to be a parody of exercise calorie threads. "What's the point of exercising if you're just going to eat the calories back" vs. "What's the point of bathing if you're just going to get dirty again."

Right there with you.

This. I personally prefer showers to wash my hair and because they are quicker, but if I only had baths, I wouldn't really complain. There are people who live their lives all over the planet without ever touching a bar of soap to their bodies. I'm pretty lucky that I get a choice between a bath or a shower.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I take a shower every morning, but if I'm not feeling well I'll take an additional bath that evening.

But seriously, why are you people grossed out at your "filth" floating around you? It was on your body a moment ago. Use soap and it comes off. I usually have to rinse myself off with a shower anyway to get the bubbles off. :bigsmile:
  • YellowSummerRoom
    YellowSummerRoom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a bath in years (heh could be sound really bad without context) because I haven't lived in a place with one since I was a kid. But even if I did, I'd only have one after a shower. I wouldn't say it seems "gross" to me bathing in my own dirt but rather uncomfortable. A part of why taking a bath is so relaxing is the feeling of being refreshed and the warmth etc. If I'm not clean beforehand it doesn't seem right.

It's heaven though after a shower on a cold night. The next place I move into HAS to have a bath. No exceptions. I love them.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I take a shower every morning, but if I'm not feeling well I'll take an additional bath that evening.

But seriously, why are you people grossed out at your "filth" floating around you? It was on your body a moment ago. Use soap and it comes off. I usually have to rinse myself off with a shower anyway to get the bubbles off. :bigsmile:

I'm guessing that many are too young ever to have been so poor that the water was heated once a week and everyone shared the same bath water (no one but the rich had showers then). I remember that, if we were lucky, dad would bathe first, deepest and hottest water for him, the working man. Then me and my sister, in together, with a little hot top up. Then mum, with another hot top up.

The rest of the week we had a cat's lick - small amount of luke warm water and a flannel! And even that was a stretch during the 70s blackouts.

I have lived with showers as well as baths. I prefer a bath. Our centuries old house has slopey ceilings, so we couldn't have a shower anyway. But I do have a sink shower attachment, for washing my hair.
  • peterplsss
    peterplsss Posts: 169
    Options
    I shower and completely clean myself, then plug the drain and put bubbles and fill up a bath. There is nothing at all like soaking in a bubble bath at the end of the day.

Edit: I also shower/take a bath like 3-4 times a day
  • kandngamma
    Options
    I have a hot tub in my bathroom so after a good shower it's WONDERFUL to sit in the hot tub with a good book, a glass of wine and awesome music! Ahhhhhhh!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Whenever I take a bath, I always shower after.
    ^this. It's not hard.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I like baths. BUT!!!

when i was in Japan i totally love their sauna spa things, i cant for the life of me remember what they called them, but they were always so relaxing, and i honestly wish we had them here, would be so nice, but bath is the next best thing i guess

Onsen/sento. Love them so much!

Not an option in my current place, but in my old house I used to fill the tub, then have a quick soap-up-rinse-off in the adjacent stand-up shower before I hopped in. Was pretty close to the way it worked in my apartment in Japan with the exterior cleaning area. :)

Actually, if you talk about the bath with the tub and the exterior cleaning area in a home, they are called " Ofuro ". Onsen is the wonderful bathing that developed around hot springs ( which is what Onsen means ) and " sento " is the public bath that many neighborhoods have. When I lived in Japan from '85-'96 they were at least in Tokyo still quite popular and cheap ( something like 400.- yen ), but are now being torn down, because of the real estate value of the land and because more and more people actually have their own ofuro at home.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    how filthy are you people that don't want to sit in a bath tub?

good lord hahahaha!!!!
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I never have time.

Plus unless I scrub my tub on a daily basis with bleach I never feel like it'd be clean enough to just bathe in (keep it clean, scrub it every week, but it's a jacuzzi tub and has lots of jets and stuff for bacteria to get stuck in). I get kinda grossed out, it feels soupy.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options

That's what I'm thinking. It's not as though I'm encrusted with feces before getting in the tub. :laugh:

F-ing dying laughing hahahhahahahaha!!!!!

Thank you so much for that
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I shower. I have issues with UTI's after taking baths so I just don't do it.

However, my Love mostly takes baths. He's an extremely heavy sleeper and also very hard to get up in the morning. Showering before work will make him fall asleep, so he bathes. He showers a few times a week to wash his hair and I have to stay in the bathroom talking to him to keep him awake. I think it's quite backwards but whatever works.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Sit in the tub with the shower on. . best hangover cure.

Sadly, I admit I've done this many a time in my college years.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I like baths. BUT!!!

when i was in Japan i totally love their sauna spa things, i cant for the life of me remember what they called them, but they were always so relaxing, and i honestly wish we had them here, would be so nice, but bath is the next best thing i guess

Not an option in my current place, but in my old house I used to fill the tub, then have a quick soap-up-rinse-off in the adjacent stand-up shower before I hopped in. Was pretty close to the way it worked in my apartment in Japan with the exterior cleaning area. :)

Actually, if you talk about the bath with the tub and the exterior cleaning area in a home, they are called " Ofuro ". Onsen is the wonderful bathing that developed around hot springs ( which is what Onsen means ) and " sento " is the public bath that many neighborhoods have. When I lived in Japan from '85-'96 they were at least in Tokyo still quite popular and cheap ( something like 400.- yen ), but are now being torn down, because of the real estate value of the land and because more and more people actually have their own ofuro at home.

I'm in Japan right now. The festival has me in the fanciest hotel in town, and there is a free bus and ticket to a nearby sister hotel with an onsen. I went twice this week! Nothing like getting really clean, hanging out with other naked people in a hot spring, then getting a massage by a blind dude who kicks the crap out of your tension.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like baths. BUT!!!

I'm in Japan right now. The festival has me in the fanciest hotel in town, and there is a free bus and ticket to a nearby sister hotel with an onsen. I went twice this week! Nothing like getting really clean, hanging out with other naked people in a hot spring, then getting a massage by a blind dude who kicks the crap out of your tension.

Brave man, I've lived in Japan about two years now and I still can't do public nudity.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I don't either! I don't like the idea of sitting in my own filth. Gag. IF I do happen to take a bath a shower always follows.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    If your tub is clean, where's the problem?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I like baths. BUT!!!

Brave man, I've lived in Japan about two years now and I still can't do public nudity.

doesn't bother me one bit. I'll get naked on stage after soaking in cold water if asked.

I have a colleague who feels the same way you do, and that's ok too. I don't think it's about bravery. I just really don't care. Even when I was fat I didn't care. Now I'm all like, where is the mixed gender onsen?
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    The only good reason to have a bathtub:

tumblr_mhpp1owkBU1rwdfeoo1_500.jpg

^^^Yup... Although I might feel different if I had a bigger tub... I find it hilarious that my 6'3" boyfriend squeezes his body in a 5' tub... Ridiculous!