My Turn to Overshare My Adventure

Options
1235»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    @springerling62. You give all of us older women hope that we can build muscle. Although I am 10 years older than you, (I think, assuming the 62 at the end of your name is the year you were born), I am hoping to build back some of the muscle I have lost over decades of yo-yo dieting with no strength training and of course age. I started lifting weights about 6 months ago, but had to restart after some illness earlier this year. It's so nice to hear how successful you've been, and that all the cardio you do has not hampered you. I don't do as much as you do but I do quite a bit of cardio especially in the summer. I love it, so I don't plan on cutting back on that. Can I ask how much weight training you do a week, and for how long your sessions are? Not that I am going to increase mine anytime soon, but just interested. Currently I'm trying to work back up to 3 times a week for 45 to 60 minutes. I am also trying to prevent any worsening of my osteopenia by including weight training in my routine.

Good for you @Pdc654 !!!! That’s such a great attitude.

I work with a trainer twice a week for an hour each session. I work out on my own in the gym for 45 minutes or so twice a week, two or three cardio weight classes, several power yoga classes, and aquafit four or five times a week.

I know it sounds like a lot, but I’m like a kid in a candy store. I want to do it all. I was “that kid” who was always picked last, and who everyone rolled their eyes at in disgust when they got that last pick. So as a result, I loathed exercise or sports of any kind my whole life. This is like a whole new world for me.

BTW, I know a lot of people discount aquafit for strength (and pretty much anything else). . Aquafit is what you make it. You can be the ladies in the corner who gossip, or you can pound it, and anything in between. I like aquafit because it’s something my husband and I can do together and have fun. Pool time = Fun Time.

I use aqualogix aqua bells and resistance fins I bring to class myself, after someone here recommended them. The blue bells are supposed to be able to generate as much resistance as 50 lb weights. The harder you swing them, the heavier they feel. It’s a heckuva workout. You get the benefits of low impact but with a strength workout, too. https://www.hydrorevolution.com/product/total-body-system/

Husband uses the gym-provided foam barbells.

I pshawed it at first, but aquafit is now part of my strength routine. Highly recommend, unless you’re prone to gossip. 😬

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 Yes, it does sound like a lot of exercise. A lot more than I currently do. Lol. From other posts I have read of yours, I knew you did a lot. I love love love my aqua aerobics classes! I have done aqua classes for about 20 years off and on, and even taught them for about 5 years. However, the aqua bells I have only used when the instructor pulls them out for the class to use, which is not near as often as most of the other equipment we use. I have not tried the fins. I purchase heavy duty ankle resistance weights last summer and used them on my own when I went the pool on weekends with family. Not in a class. Yes, water does provide good resistance. I am currently taking 5 classes a week Monday- Friday. In the summer we take our classes outside and the number of classes double, so I end up taking 2 hour long classes a day, 5 days a week. I also do around 30-60 minutes of brisk walking every day.

So based on what you said above, you are doing heavy weight lifting 4 times a week for 45-60 minutes in addition to all your other classes! You are a great role model for those that say you can't build muscle and do cardio at the same time.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    @springlering62 Yes, it does sound like a lot of exercise. A lot more than I currently do. Lol. From other posts I have read of yours, I knew you did a lot. I love love love my aqua aerobics classes! I have done aqua classes for about 20 years off and on, and even taught them for about 5 years. However, the aqua bells I have only used when the instructor pulls them out for the class to use, which is not near as often as most of the other equipment we use. I have not tried the fins. I purchase heavy duty ankle resistance weights last summer and used them on my own when I went the pool on weekends with family. Not in a class. Yes, water does provide good resistance. I am currently taking 5 classes a week Monday- Friday. In the summer we take our classes outside and the number of classes double, so I end up taking 2 hour long classes a day, 5 days a week. I also do around 30-60 minutes of brisk walking every day.

So based on what you said above, you are doing heavy weight lifting 4 times a week for 45-60 minutes in addition to all your other classes! You are a great role model for those that say you can't build muscle and do cardio at the same time.

Out on thin ice impinging on Spring's thread here:

The bolded is a common but pernicious, destructively awful myth.

Yes, if someone does so much of anything (cardio, strength, whatever) that they don't recover properly between strength sessions for the same muscle group, it can compromise strength/muscle gain from strength training.

Yes, if someone does a bunch of cardio and a bunch of strength training, and underfuels their total exercise/activity load (in calories, protein or general nutrition terms), it can compromise strength/muscle gain from strength training.

Yes, if there's someone whose goal is an actual bodybuilding physique (like for bodybuilding competitions), then they will want to allocate nearly all their exercise time budget to well-planned strength exercise, and only do just enough cardio to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system (and some of them will choose to do no cardio - their call).

Other than that kind of thing, as long as we're applying some common sense, us regular people don't have to worry about cardio "burning up our muscles" or anything of that nature. Build in adequate recovery, get good nutrition, don't have an outsized calorie deficit (the smaller the better, or even maintain/gain if body weight allows) - if strength or muscle mass gain is a key goal.

My sport (on-water rowing), for best performance, rewards strength and requires extreme cardiovascular fitness. The elites in the sport look like what most of us would call "muscular", though not bodybuilder-big. They do literal hours of cardio on typical days, do that for years, and they lift (some of them mostly/only in the off season, while still doing plenty of cardio off-season).

In the spoiler, a photo of one of the top female rowers in the world a few years back. "Skinny fat"? No muscle? I don't think so. Not a bodybuilder look, either, sure.
    musnicki03.jpg

Statistically speaking, I have more muscle for my weight than most women in my demographic (age 67) and most of actually came from "cardio" (rowing), really lots of it, for many years (starting in my late 40s). I don't lift much, certainly not enough to make significant gains. That's not a great choice on my part - lifting for sure is the most efficient way to gain strength or muscle mass, by far, and it's good for general health.
  • springlering62
    Options
    @Pdc654 get out those aquabells and use them. I no longer care what anyone thinks about my equipment or intensity level. Our classes have learnt to give me enough space to avoid being whacked by a bell, and instructors are used to my bell modifications (the bells have no flotation). Your workouts are for you, and if anyone else wants to give you evils, that’s on them. I just grin at them and keep at it, and ask them if they’d like to try the bells.

@AnnPT77 if you are ever on thin ice it’s with the poise of a Michelle Kwan or Dorothy Hamill (our generation lol).

IMHO, unless you want to be a bodybuilder, doing a range of activities has been very kind to me. I started weights specifically to build upper body strength so I could “get” the arm balances I wanted so badly in yoga. But flexibility from yoga gives me some advantages in lifting and cardio classes; cardio walking and aquafit develop endurance; and Pilates just helps with every darn thing.

Find what you love and enjoy doing, and it will all come together.

I’m the one jumping up and down when it comes to core time. I discovered I LOVE core- ironic, because the first core class I ever took (Pilates), I sat in the back silently shedding tears because I could. not. do. any. of. it. And it hurt sooooo bad. For days. A

Go back. Try again. Give yourself a second or third chance before you totally blow something off. Something that makes you feel totally inadequate makes you feel like an absofreakinglutin badass when you get the hang of it. And you will if you keep trying.

My favorite yoga instructor asks everyone to try every pose. His philosophy is that you gain as much in the trying as by the actual accomplishing.

Put yourself be in the front row of every class. There’s no better incentive to try your absolute hardest when you know 80% of the class is behind you.

Smile while you work out and unclench your hands and jaw. You can get through anything if you smile. It relaxes your face, your brain and I dunno, gives you a short blast of adrenaline or something to get through the moment. But try it, it works.

Bandwagon now driving off into sunset. Good night. I’ve got a 4am wake up call to bake scones and watch a coronation. History in the making, regardless of how ya feel about it.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thank you @springlering62 and @AnnPT77. Both of you give great advice. Ann, I agree that adequate recovery time is so necessary, especially at our age. Just another factor in the fitness equation, and I will be sure to keep that in mind, so as to be able to continue to progress and avoid injury.

I will soon be transitioning to maintenance and my focus will be more on health and fitness goals instead of weight loss. My ultimate goal is to stay as healthy, fit, and active for as long as I possibly can throughout the rest of my 70s, 80s, and dare I say 90s. I see so many people my age who have so many health issues related to obesity and lack of physical activity that I never want to be where they are, and where I almost was 2 years ago.

Springlering62, I think it's amazing that you do all the things you do. I'm sure the variety works together and provides the kind of synergy to help you increase your abilities in all the various activities. I can really see how the strength training helps you with the pilates and yoga poses. I know I need to do more stuff for flexibility and balance. Goals to work towards.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options

This was a great post, Spring - one among many. I love the way you write: So lively!

I'm gonna risk a couple of comments, though improving on perfect isn't achievable. ;)
    @Pdc654 get out those aquabells and use them. I no longer care what anyone thinks about my equipment or intensity level. Our classes have learnt to give me enough space to avoid being whacked by a bell, and instructors are used to my bell modifications (the bells have no flotation). Your workouts are for you, and if anyone else wants to give you evils, that’s on them. I just grin at them and keep at it, and ask them if they’d like to try the bells.

@AnnPT77 if you are ever on thin ice it’s with the poise of a Michelle Kwan or Dorothy Hamill (our generation lol).
    I'm sincerely touched, especially since - not to deprecate the very appreciated compliment in the metaphorical realm - in the real world, I can't skate at all, and grace is not my wheelhouse. ;) You're very kind.
    IMHO, unless you want to be a bodybuilder, doing a range of activities has been very kind to me. I started weights specifically to build upper body strength so I could “get” the arm balances I wanted so badly in yoga. But flexibility from yoga gives me some advantages in lifting and cardio classes; cardio walking and aquafit develop endurance; and Pilates just helps with every darn thing.

Find what you love and enjoy doing, and it will all come together.

So much yes. Aalllllll the yes.
    I’m the one jumping up and down when it comes to core time. I discovered I LOVE core- ironic, because the first core class I ever took (Pilates), I sat in the back silently shedding tears because I could. not. do. any. of. it. And it hurt sooooo bad. For days. A

Go back. Try again. Give yourself a second or third chance before you totally blow something off. Something that makes you feel totally inadequate makes you feel like an absofreakinglutin badass when you get the hang of it. And you will if you keep trying.

Endorsed. I feel sad for people who only try one (or half) a class of a thing and give up because it's "too hard". Things that are easy from the start get boring pretty fast (IME). Things that are challenging stay fun longer. Unless a thing is actually injurious in some way (possible), I encourage people to stick it out long enough to get past the newbie blues. Many things feel impossible at first. They aren't. Everyone present was new once, and the kind ones (most people) remember how that felt.
    My favorite yoga instructor asks everyone to try every pose. His philosophy is that you gain as much in the trying as by the actual accomplishing.

Put yourself be in the front row of every class. There’s no better incentive to try your absolute hardest when you know 80% of the class is behind you.
    When I was the "faculty advisor" for the local university's kung fu club (not because I was good at kung fu but because I worked for the U, and as staff not faculty :D ) the pre-existing culture of the club was that no one was allowed to attend and just watch. They were required to participate (or leave). Anyone new would be required to position themselves at the front, to the instructor's left, class's right, because that was the very best vantage point to follow along.
    Smile while you work out and unclench your hands and jaw. You can get through anything if you smile. It relaxes your face, your brain and I dunno, gives you a short blast of adrenaline or something to get through the moment. But try it, it works.

For your amusement: Unclenching hands is one of the very most magical things people can do as newbies to improve their on-water rowing. Unclenching any other body part not in active use is next best.
    Bandwagon now driving off into sunset. Good night. I’ve got a 4am wake up call to bake scones and watch a coronation. History in the making, regardless of how ya feel about it.

Heh. I just made banana chocolate chip cookies, need to get up early (for night owl me) to go to the rowing club's boathouse clean-up and open house.

Enjoy the coronation! ;)
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread... and all I can say is WOW! Spring, you are such an inspiration to me! Ann, you've been an inspiration for years now. But after reading all of this, I'm going to be pushing myself harder than I have been the past few months. I've had osteopenia for years now, some years I make a small gain, other I lose a small percent. Lost my hubby in '21 and missed my scan that year, but had it in the fall of '22. I went from osteopenia (-2.2 in my last scan) to -10. I don't believe it, no way I lost that much bone in 3 years, but I also don't want to risk taking the meds for osteoporosis. So I've been gradually adding weight exercises to my routine. Hearing, and seeing, what you two have done over the years has forced me to look at myself more honestly, and see that I'm a lazy person that has to get her rump in gear before it's too late. I can't afford gym membership, or a trainer, but I do have YouTube, kettlebells (that I had already incorporated into my routine) resistance bands that haven't seen the light of day for years... and it's time to get my act together and not keep taking baby steps! Baby steps won't take me where I want to go, and at almost 72, if I don't start moving there soon I never will! So thank you ladies, for making me see myself as I am...and making me realize it's now or never if I want to see myself as I want to be! You two rule!
  • lsherry1
    lsherry1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your amazing story. Keep it up! So inspirational and with humor as well. Love the yoga outfit!!!
  • lsherry1
    lsherry1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What was the Amazon series you watched about the boatman in a tunnel?
  • springlering62
    Options
    lsherry1 wrote: »
    What was the Amazon series you watched about the boatman in a tunnel?
    Amazon prime series called Travel by Narrowboat

Guy gets a divorce, sells everything, quits his job, buys a canal boat with zero experience and films and narrates himself.

Series moves as slow as the canal boat, super budget production, I found myself sympathizing with the ex wife, and experienced a distinct urge to slap him around some myself. But otherwise unique.
  • springlering62
    Options
    @poisonesse i know for a fact you’re awesome from your contributions here on the boards.

If you’re in the US, some gyms give free Silver Sneakers memberships through Medicare. My neighbors go to Workout Anytime this way. Or maybe Planet Fitness? 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the read…an enjoyable story of a journey driven by passionate health seeking. I’m certain you will be the one maintaining throughout the balance of your life. If you have not done a deep dive on fasting for autophagy, may I suggest it. It could be a tool in your toolbox to help you rid yourself of that excess skin that you are dealing with. Cheers!
  • springlering62
    Options
    Thanks for the read…an enjoyable story of a journey driven by passionate health seeking. I’m certain you will be the one maintaining throughout the balance of your life. If you have not done a deep dive on fasting for autophagy, may I suggest it. It could be a tool in your toolbox to help you rid yourself of that excess skin that you are dealing with. Cheers!

Thanks @DebbsSeattle i looked it up. I wouldn’t last an hour on fasting, unfortunately. My pre-logging carefully allows food at least every couple of hours from 6 am til 9:30 pm.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!