Is my husband sabotaging my weight loss? HELP!

Options
I love my husband dearly, we have been together 10 years this year and he loves me no matter what weight I am. The only problem I have at the moment is that I am trying to increase my exercise so that I can loose fat but my husband keeps buying me chocolate and alcohol just when I seem to be getting somewhere. I know he thinks he is being nice and only doing it to de-stress me after a long stressful day, but I really can't say no to chocolate if it is in the house. For example, He bought me 2 x 140g packs of galaxy counters last night and 3 bottles of cider. I managed to restrain myself from drinking the cider, but I ate one of the packs of chocolate last night and I have just sat here and eaten the other pack because they were there.

I feel really bad as I have been working hard to increase my fitness and if I hadn't been eating junk I would have banked some serious calories, but as it stands, I have probably eaten more than I have burned this week. My main meals have all been healthy planned meals according to my diet, but the extras are the issue.

Help!!

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Sabotage implies that someone WANTS you fat. I'm pretty sure your husband is not trying to MAKE you fat. You said yourself that he's just probably trying to show you some misguided care. Perhaps another talk, or schedule those times when you can both enjoy those treats together?

That said, I know how difficult it is to not eat something when it's in the house. My BF is a huge snacker and brings in stuff all the time. At some point, you just have to start telling yourself "Have I got enough cals allotted for this? Will it still be there tomorrow, when I can make room for it? And if not, can I just wait until the next time?" Chances are, you'll find it'll still be there or else you can just wait for next time.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Ask him to bring you flowers instead.
  • karlahere
    karlahere Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of controlling yourself and talking to him about your goals. Tell him you'd super appreciate it if he supports you on this phase by not buying these stuff. However, if he's also buying them for himself, you really have to rein in your cravings.

Just don't overthink this issue because it might become a bone to pick in the future. Talk talk talk to him.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Put the chocolate in the freezer. It takes longer to eat when frozen, so you might find it easier to only eat a portion of the bag, and not the whole bag. (Love Counters personally, I find it very hard to not eat a whole bag in one go as well!)
  • GrouchySprout
    GrouchySprout Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would thank him for the gesture but ask that he buy you something else in place of the chocolate or maybe save up the money he would have spent to put towards a treat when you have reached a goal.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    1. No

2. Instead of asking why he brings home snacks ask why you have to eat them. Just because you have decided to make a change doesn't mean everyone else has to change, it means you *have* to change, and that includes your relationship with food. There will always be temptation, unless you become a hermit and live alone underground, and that includes your home. My husband isn't on a diet and so eats like he always has; I don't ask him to change for me but rather I changed myself.

You have to learn to confront that temptation and deal with it.
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I guarantee he's not trying to sabotage you. He's being a caring husband. Do not discourage him. My boyfriend knows I love Nutella, ice cream, and wine; so everytime i stay at his house on my days off, he makes sure to either have it in the house or will go out and buy it for me. Therefore, I have my serving of Nutella (2 tablespoons) one day. The next I'll have my ice cream and I'll have a glass of wine with him at dinner. I log it and move on.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is work on your self control and discipline. Just because he bought you 3 bottles of cider does not mean you have to drink them all, and you don't have to eat the entire pack of chocolate either. The only person that has the power to sabotage you, is you. Period. You control what you put in your mouth, not your husband. Therefore, instead of eating the whole pack of chocolate, have a serving and work it into your daily calories. Better yet, share the chocolate and the cider with your husband. Either that or put in some extra workout time to make up for the calories.

Self control and moderation is EVERYTHING.
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    1. No

2. Instead of asking why he brings home snacks ask why you have to eat them. Just because you have decided to make a change doesn't mean everyone else has to change, it means you *have* to change, and that includes your relationship with food. There will always be temptation, unless you become a hermit and live alone underground, and that includes your home. My husband isn't on a diet and so eats like he always has; I don't ask him to change for me but rather I changed myself.

You have to learn to confront that temptation and deal with it.

^this
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Is your husband overweight? Does he eat or choose to eat healthy. I myself never had a weight issue but i started "OUR" diet for my wife she is over 100lbs overweight and i figured this would be the best way to inspire her. Eating clean changed my whole outlook on life itself. You really dont understand how bad food poisons your body and mind until you cut yourself free of it. When my wife was quitting smoking years ago i would offer to buy her smokes because i saw she was in pain. That might just be what he is picking up from you at times? My personal belief is that, unless everyone in the house is on board, someone is going to tip the ship so to speak.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Tempt yes. Sabotage no. Can't force you to eat what he buys. Sabotage would be giving you something he says is "healthy" when it's actually not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Is your husband overweight? Does he eat or choose to eat healthy. I myself never had a weight issue but i started "OUR" diet for my wife she is over 100lbs overweight and i figured this would be the best way to inspire her. Eating clean changed my whole outlook on life itself. You really dont understand how bad food poisons your body and mind until you cut yourself free of it. When my wife was quitting smoking years ago i would offer to buy her smokes because i saw she was in pain. That might just be what he is picking up from you at times? My personal belief is that, unless everyone in the house is on board, someone is going to tip the ship so to speak.

Yeah, no.

I do just fine eating my southwest salad while my husband eats his bacon cheese burger or my 6 ounce steak while he eats two six ounce steaks or my one serving of ice cream to his two...or four. He doesn't have to change his habits because I changed mine.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    You really dont understand how bad food poisons your body and mind until you cut yourself free of it.

326.gif

the food shaming inherent in so-called "clean eating" is nonsense. utter nonsense.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You are the only person who can sabotage your weight loss.

The world is filled with chocolate and booze. You don't have to eat or drink it all.

Ask him specifically not to buy these things for you. If he buys them for himself, as him to keep them out of your sight. If you can't deal with them being in the house, throw them away. If you really want chocolate or cider, plan it into your calorie allotment for the day and have some.

Ultimately, people can be helpful to your effort, or people can make things more challenging, but you're in charge of what goes in your mouth.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Your husband is not sabotaging you if you chose to eat both packages of chocolate. That was your decision and you have to take responsibility for that.

On a personal note, my wife and I cut and bulk on different cycles. If she wants pizza, she eats it, often in front of me. It is up to me to eat my lean pork chop or chicken and vegetables. Is it always easy? No. But my weight loss or healthy gain are not anyone else's responsibility.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    CBT it - retrain your thought process.

Thank him for bringing such a valuable training aid into the house. Now you can see chocolate, knowing that you don't have to eat it and with his help you are winning.

Mine does much the same, but tends not to produce the bag of minstrels on my Down Days. He does dole out 2 or 3 as a treat for my Up Day every now and then. I usually thank him for the thought and either eat them or say no. But it did take a while for us both to believe me if I said no :)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Until you put your big girl pants on, get use to it
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I love it when people blame others for things they can control on their own.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You really dont understand how bad food poisons your body and mind until you cut yourself free of it.

326.gif

the food shaming inherent in so-called "clean eating" is nonsense. utter nonsense.

^^This. And when you realize that "certain" food is not the enemy, you'll find it much easier to resist the temptation to over-indulge.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing a search on the internet for a thread "I buy my wife expensive chocolate and all she does is whine about how I'm pampering her. HELP!!! I need a wife that appreciates me instead of nagging me!"

Or ... ya know... something like that.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ask him to bring you flowers instead.

aww omg thats perfect.
    tumblr_inline_mrolb8PjxD1qz4rgp.gif