WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hmm, where shall I begin, eh? Inspiration is a good starting point!

Thanks go out to Pip #1 For inspiring me to get a glass of wine before settling down and typing o:) You looked so relaxed in the pic with the six pack of Bud and it seems the yummiest cocktails are to be found in Tacoma. When I get my car back with the new tranny maybe I should drive there and just chill out ;)

All you other gals, you are also a big inspiration! There's too many of you to name, but from me to you "Keep at it and keep posting!" It really does help to know folks on a similar wave length with health aims <3 Thank you <3

Amber I've not been to my local farm (yet) this fall, but your harvest photos were sure mood inspiring :)

Debby In Va The kind of work you do sounds very fulfilling. Hard, but soul satisfying - is it?

Barbara SOC Happy (belated) Anniversary! 32 years of doing anything is quite an achievement 🎉 and I love your dry humor!

Rebecca What about letting your "fingers do the walking" online at your leisure? Try on things at home in private. If you're just trying things on a return can be made regardless of whether the package has been opened or not! Target has a good array of "big" girl panties along with a size chart. Vanity Fair also.

Romwriter57 As for having the right outerwear, just an FYI - I've bought lots of used items in great condition through eBay, which helps keep costs down. Good luck on your journey, and I am so sorry about your diagnosis. 🙏
    Ginger - Why hang on to the other car? If you can afford to give it to your guy/helper, then that's what I would do without any strings attached because (1) I'd never sell or barter a car to someone I knew (in case there were problems later, it might cause comfortableness between us in the future); (2) one can hope that installment payments or barter work would work out fairly, but there's no guarantee, and (3) giving something to someone else in need simply feels good. You asked what other's thought, so tha-thaa, thatt's my $0.02 :smile:

Seasonal Affective Disorder and Depression Here'a a link to studies that talk about vitamin-D (as well as other things) that can alleviate or lessen those issues https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908269/

Lisa in AR I've been racking my brain on what to get my son for his b-day next week. He's going to love getting an alligator lopper! :smiley:

To those in "quarter end close" - I feel your pain :/ and hope your employers compensate you well! They should!!! And I hope you were able to get some time away from work this weekend. <3

As to men, in general, I think they're wired differently in some respects, but fundamentally they want the same as we women want. As to the suggestions about the current difficulty that I'm uncomfortable with regarding me and BF, well, I'm pondering things over still . . .

<3 Rho (south of PDX)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Warning, opinionated comments ahead:

To those fighting depression, I suffered from SAD for many years, and so did my mom. She always called it the wintertime blues. SAD is Seasonal Affective Disorder. It is often part of the lives of people who were born in the longer days of spring & summer. The farther you live from the equator, the more you might be affected by long dark days of winter. I speak from experience. Vitamin D-3 is considered to be the sunshine vitamin. I take a dose every day, and seasonal affective disorder rarely troubles me these days. In the dark days of winter, I sometimes increase my dose of Vitamin D-3. I also have very bright solar temperature light bulbs in all of the rooms in our house. If seasonal depression is a problem in your life, talk to your doctor. D3 may help. Sunlight temperature lightbulbs may help, too. In my opinion, brighter lighting & D3 are a lot easier to deal with than chemical stimulants such as amphetamines.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Rho97070 wrote: »
    Seasonal Affective Disorder and Depression Here'a a link to studies that talk about vitamin-D (as well as other things) that can alleviate or lessen those issues https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908269/

3 Rho (south of PDX)

When I lived in Canada, I used to suffer from SAD ... it usually hit in November. I've always thought of November as dark grey (I think of months in terms of colours).

When I first realised what was going on, someone suggested tanning beds and that's what I did ... about twice a week, I went tanning! Of course, they've banned those things now, but I do miss them I always felt great after.

Later, I was fortunate to live in a place with a great gym complex that included everything!! The treadmills overlooked the swimming pool that was surrounded by plants. There was a good walking track with windows around so that if I got there early in the evening I could see out for a little while. The spin class was in the middle of the walking track so we could look outside (for a while) or watch people walking around the track. There was a climbing wall room, an arena, a gymnastics area, a racket sport area, a small shopping area and with cafe. All sorts of stuff. It was all bright and open and warm, with big plants around, and I could go spend an evening exercising there and forget about winter and darkness for a bit.

Now I experience SAD in July/August. I'm usually OK going into winter because the weather isn't usually too bad through June. It's dark as can be, but not usually pouring rain or howling wind until toward the end of the month. But then winter starts to drag on and on and on and it's dark and chilly and wet and windy and I long for it to end.

I take more Vit D here in Australia than I did in Canada. Possibly helps a bit.

Zwift can help too.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Feeling a bit healthier than I was ,,,

w2x0kzo3764l.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Ginger-thanks for the quitting smoking tips. I am still a victim of that habit. My husband quit after he had a heart stent and never picked them back up but he still said got the urge for them occasionally and would even have dreams where he smoked.
    Ginny in Ohio

I have never smoked ... not even one. I'm so allergic to cigarette smoke -- like nausea, dizziness, vomiting -- and one of the worst allergic reactions my allergist had seen when she did the arm prick test. Yet, oddly, I have a recurring dream where I do!! In dreams when I was younger, I would sneak half a cigarette here and there, but in more recent dreams I'm much more open about it and with go through 2 or 3 during the dream. Really weird!!

M in Oz

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Allie - hope you're not too terribly sore after your fender-bender yesterday. The only time I ever had whiplash was when I was hit from behind. When I hit someone else, I had no issues with it. Glad you're OK and your insurance didn't take the hit.

Rebecca - totally get the overwhelmed feeling on choices. And yes, I'm among those who wear the same brand/size forever. But then, eventually, they always decide to discontinue the ones I like, and I end up back in the same spot. At the moment, about half mine fit, a quarter are too large and a quarter are a teensy bit small. I wear them all anyway.

Spoke to my daughter yesterday, and they will leave either Saturday morning or Sunday morning for Georgia (according to whether their unit will let them sign out early) and then the next day, they'll arrive. So we'll see them Sunday evening or Monday evening--but that means they will have driven nine or ten hours the day they get here, so they'll be exhausted. Then they'll be here for "two or three days," which always makes me kind of crazy... I really prefer people know when they're coming and know when they're going. But, I'll take what I can get, and so will they.

Which reminds me, I need to get the air bed blown up for the kid (s). And get the beds made, and get all the blankets out for them, as it's only 49 degrees this morning (9.4 C) and... on and on and on and on and on. And work full-time. :)

It will be fun to have them here, and we'll be glad when they leave. And it's keeping me distracted from the fact that I invited my new boss to visit my home office on Wednesday, and I need to clean the place up before then. She's a talker... which is fine. It helps to have already told her all the truths I have, but a four-hour meeting is never my idea of fun.

So a busy few weeks ahead. Oh, and two federal grants to get out the door before November.

The holidays are coming, though. And when I decided to stay in my current job, the ten-day break over Christmas was not the smallest consideration. :)

Off to the gym.
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Allie-Sorry to hear about your fender bender,glad you’re not feeling terrible this morning.💐
    Amber-hope you’re feeling better today.Prayers,hugs,love❤️,and much gratitude for y’all!
    Debby In Va
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate Uk <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! It is a two day work week for me, as I will be traveling to Texas on Wednesday to see my daughter and (hopefully) TWO grandsons. lol We are still waiting on #2 to make his appearance! I got all of the guy's meals prepped for the week (while I am gone). Clothes are packed. I will make eggs for myself tonight and an omelet for Tim (I have all of the omelet stuffings he likes already prepped, so it is just a matter of throwing everything together in the pan).
    Then meatloaf and potatoes on Tuesday evening (another bit of leftovers for him to pick at during the week). So...I should just be able to relax this last couple of evenings. I am SO ready for this trip!
    Michele- Your owl cookies turned out adorable! Looks like you may have used a different color/flavor dough than mine. And that recipe has been being used by home ec teachers for YEARS (since the 1960s!); so you are not stealing anything from me!
    Machka-Your bedroom set up is similar to mine. I sleep in the BED room (a full bed), a dresser and a pack n play. Hubby sleeps on a twin in his office bc our bed in the BEDroom is uncomfortable for him. His clothes, however, are in the closet in the BEDroom (hung with about a half inch between each hanger, like he likes it). My clothes are in the spare room closet. So, I get up early, leave the BEDroom and get dressed in the spare room.
    Heather- The angry baby statue made me laugh! lol I have seen that expression more often than I like!
    Welcome new girls! Hugs and kisses to all who are injured/ill! Feel better!

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka-Your bedroom set up is similar to mine. I sleep in the BED room (a full bed), a dresser and a pack n play. Hubby sleeps on a twin in his office bc our bed in the BEDroom is uncomfortable for him. His clothes, however, are in the closet in the BEDroom (hung with about a half inch between each hanger, like he likes it). My clothes are in the spare room closet. So, I get up early, leave the BEDroom and get dressed in the spare room.

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

You've got to go with what works!!

I value my sleep because I don't get much of it during the week, and my husband needs sleep because he gets so fatigued. Like you, we've set up a workable solution for us. :)

M in Oz

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Kim ~ That's quite a load of apples! :)

Heather ~ Beautiful scenery!

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Rita It makes me sad to see you are still feeling so down. I wish I could do something to help! I have struggled with depression and anxiety most of my life, and would give anything to keep someone else from feeling those feelings! Lots of hugs coming your way!!

Thank you so much LuciB. I’ve had this issue all my life. It helps to know I am not alone.

RVRita
  • Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    RVRita :/ Do you have family or community that can help to support the both of you?