WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💟💞💝
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,474 Member
    I think I'll be glad when October is over ... way, way too busy!! Every day has been full on and it continues right into the beginning of November.

Anyway, tonight, my husband and I went to the symphony ... it's something we do every so often. :) I especially wanted to go to this one because of the first piece:

Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain :smiley::smiley:

Machka in Oz
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Anyone here ever had or know anyone who has had ocular migraines?? I’ve had them for quite some time and they’re annoying as crap.
    Debby in Va
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,412 Member
    Katla Aaahh! So glad you had a good visit with the grands! <3
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 970 Member
    KimUK - Yes it is harder after 50 or nearing it. I used to be able to lose pretty quickly/easily by increasing my protein intake significantly and counting calories. Once I turned 49ish, that did not work at all. So, I had to go extreme.

Lisa in AR - I also feel I'm higher risk of Alzheimer's due to genetics. Both grandmothers had some form of it. I also listened to that series about Alzheimer's someone posted here and I don't think there is anything else I can do to help prevent it other than try to sleep better. I have always struggled with sleeping and no matter what I try, it doesn't seem to get better. So I find it frustrating when people/doctors say "get more and better sleep." It's just not that simple.

The takeaways from the Alzheimer's series I have so far are:

1. Don't be a woman. Women are twice as likely to show signs.
    2. Eat well. Give up processed/pre-packaged foods and white breads. Eat fresh fruits and veggies. Cook your own meals.
    3. Exercise at least 150 minutes per week, even if you have to break it up into 10 minute sessions.
    4. Control stress levels. High stress levels increase your risk.
    5. Don't have Type 2 Diabetes. If you have it, control it and try to reverse it. One of the highest risk factors.
    6. Get 7-9 hours of high quality sleep per night.
    7. Don't wait to start living healthier. It's never too late.

I also felt the series was kind of "elementary" and anyone who tries to live a healthier lifestyle will already be mitigating the risk. It's just interesting that no company is trying to find a cure, yet diagnoses are increasing quickly.

Still working on catching up on reading. I was visiting family for a week and didn't have time to check in.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Debby ~ Like your new stove...so shiny! :)

Katla ~ Sorry for your cold but know you loved seeing the grands.

Barbie ~ (((Sasha)))

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,618 Member
    WELCOME HOME KATLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3
    Oh yes, kids are germ factories. :( We seem to catch all their bugs. But we love them anyway. :D
    If you feel you can, please share some photos. :p<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I think I'll be glad when October is over ... way, way too busy!! Every day has been full on and it continues right into the beginning of November.

Anyway, tonight, my husband and I went to the symphony ... it's something we do every so often. :) I especially wanted to go to this one because of the first piece:

Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain :smiley::smiley:

Machka in Oz

I'm with you on both - glad when October's over, and love that piece. Of course, I got attached to it through Disney's Fantasia, but hey... whatever works. :) Most of my childhood memories of orchestral pieces were from either Disney or Bugs Bunny. "Ride of the Valkyries" comes to mind. :)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Anyone here ever had or know anyone who has had ocular migraines?? I’ve had them for quite some time and they’re annoying as crap.
    Debby in Va

DH, DD and myself all suffer with them from time to time. They don't usually last too long but are annoying

Kate UK <3
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Raccoons 🦝 y me are at war. Have been at it trying to make them move on the 4ft male has 4!!! 4 Females!!! No nope no babies will be ridiculous the new females are more destructive than him. So not allowed trapping or poison or lots of other things websites suggest. Hubby said if my way fails he may get y pay an exspensive exterminator to trap y release: ugghh like he won’t find his way back! Even dogs 🐕 have been known to travel states to get home.
    Vinegar,bleach,lemon juice,y smelly soap 🧼
    Putting it everywhere They love to go sprinkled cinnamon all over in shed even. Chili peppers 🌶 in one spot. Yup trying to change their environment already they attacked a container filled with the bleach,vinegar,lemon juice y spices container I had layed out with a lid. Marking my territory! Even got cinnamon under rug y bleach smell concoction on top! Will see if they learn to love it or move on .Hoping neighbors homes with no smell will attract them lol be their problem

Weight same staying steady at the moment.

Christmas just need gift card for Daughter y I’m done ✅. Decided only 5 people get gifts this year since we did a lot for Birthdays. Dad pAnts,hubby rubber shoe mat,me closet organizer flat kind,baby toys to closet organizers,y Daughter last minute will grab a gift card or visa gift card.

Busy as can be Halloween unsure if we will go out or not so far past 4yrs.Unsure the game plan.

Amber Tx

Os Sight keeps refusing to post my posts!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Shotzz99 - New study conducted by Women scientists discovered our Uterus is linked to Alzheimer’s y Dementia (hormone y damage to uterus which is our ORGAN)
    Explains why men with low T get it too but Women are at an increase for it .More kids to issues with uterus y it’s hormone production bam 💥 increased risk
    Amber Tx
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Kate-Are y’all able to help them subside or just wait it out? Mine usually last from 20-40 minutes.
    Debby In Va
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate-Are y’all able to help them subside or just wait it out? Mine usually last from 20-40 minutes.
    Debby In Va

Just wait it out
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,872 Member
    Katla-Sounds like you had a good trip, hope you are feeling better soon.

Looking forward to having the weekend off, DH has to work tomorrow so I plan to sleep in.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I get ocular migraines too. I go easy on caffeine and alcohol which prevents most of them, and just wait it out if one happens.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,596 Member
    edited October 2019
    Debby In Va

Debby - I have had 2 in my life. First time about 15 yrs ago I thought I was having a stroke but it subsided after about an hour. Called my optometrist and he said no worries. Had another a few years back, the zig zags started up again, also lasted maybe an hour.

Did you say you also had "regular" migraines? I used to get bad hormonal ones. Glad menopause ended them! B)

lanette
    Rainy SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,007 Member
    Just checkin in..on the train home. Ugh..