WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Replies

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Happy National Mulligan Day!

"In golf, a mulligan happens when a player gets a second chance to perform a specific move or action. The day offers an opportunity for giving yourself a second chance or, as some people call it, a 'do-over.'"

Heather - Excited for your trip to Norway! I thought it was wonderful and would love to visit again some day! My brother is back in Texas now though, so we wouldn't have a free place to stay.

Barbie - Hoping Sasha had a good recovery from her dental cleaning! When I have to have them anesthetized I'm always nervous until I get the all clear from the vet.

Viv - I'm not sure I'd make it home from a chocolate making experience with any leftover chocolate, but it sounds like fun!

I need a mulligan today. Still not feeling up to snuff. We had plans tonight but I feel rundown so I told Philip to go on his own. It was a gorgeous day, though, and we've got the heat back on after yesterday's surrender to air conditioning.

-Yvonne in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,090 Member
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.21min, 134mhr, 11.4amph, 1.58mi= 79c
    apple watch- 61c
    LATERAL MACHINE- 30min, resist1-7, 10width, 109ahr, 139mhr, 3.52mi= 203c
    apple watch- 177c
    Floor exer- 6min, 5sets of 10ea, 2 different exer, 88mhr= 19c
    apple watch- 37c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.19min, 138mhr, 16.7amph, 1.48mi= 56c
    apple watch- 46c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 16.46min, 143mhr, 10.9amph, 3.03mi= 168c
    apple watch- 105c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.23min, 144mhr, 9.40min mi, .55mi= 68c
    apple watch- 58c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 5.30min, 9.21min mi, 154mhr, .58mi= 82c
    apple watch- 68c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.24min, 147mhr, 8.2amph, 2.5mi= 217c
    apple watch- 121c

total cal 892
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,412 Member
    Is Katla visiting her grandchildren now?

Karen in Virginia
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    😴💟
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,478 Member
    barbie - bet when Bessie came home, Sasha probably really gave her the once-over. Glad Bessie is doing better

Karen in VA - congrats to you both

Michele in NC
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,589 Member
    Just skimmin' as I'm pooped from an extra dance practice tonight. Needed it as I was sitting at the computer most of the day, completing and submitting my very first grant application. A simple one pager, only a $5K matching grant, but I'm so proud of myself for doing something I've never done before. Wouldn't have even tried without the inspiration of Lisa and Machka, thank you both!

Debby I'd love to see a pic of your new stove :)
    Lanette I'm making myself stick with BB&B at least through the term. During break I'll return to T'ai Chi, but this class, hard as it is, seems to be making a difference in my balance. A couple of times I've gone down stairs alternating feet instead of my usual Right down, left together, Right down, left together. I've been using Firefox for quite awhile and it's never given me any trouble...until today when it wouldn't support filling in a pdf form.
    Barbie love the poster. Glad Sasha's home safe.
    Heather love the look of joy in all four faces.
    Beth love the scent of apple orchards in the fall.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for October: get up and do it!
    Steps=4482 yesterday, 4079 today so far, vits=17 log=17 CI<CO=15 CI<250<CO=9 Tumble=9 mfp=17 AF=14
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,007 Member
    I'm awake at 3:30 am and thank god for ear plugs.. the city is not for this girl.
    I will indulge in one more treat today .. a New York bagel with cream cheese and a tea.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Well yesterdays sunshine didn't last too long but at least it was dry when we walked Leah in the late afternoon. We had quite a nice walk, it was quiet and peaceful. It's getting quite cool now though so wore my ear muffs and an extra jumper!

Poor DD, yesterday she was picking out Aubrey's hoof when he collapsed onto her, luckily he managed to right himself again before putting his full weight on her, but she did get squished into the wall. He suffers from shivers and he finds it hard to balance. Considering the size and weight of him, she was very lucky not to have broken her ribs, she said she could feel them bending :o Not sure she'll be able to do much mucking out this morning, she is a bit stiff and probably should let Judy take the horses out to their fields, they can be a bit skittish.

Finally made an appointment to get my hair cut, it needs thinning out (I have thick hair) and cutting back into shape. I should make an appointment every 6 - 8 weeks, then it doesn't get too out of shape.

I think the sun is trying to get out, we got soaked this morning it was torrential rain! It's nice to see a bit of sunshine, I always feel more energised if it's sunny. I swear I could hibernate in the depths of the dark wintery days.

I'd better get ready to go shopping, my mum will be ringing any minute to say she is ready to go.

Love to all
    Viv UK <3
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Insomnia... up at 3 this morning... more unusual these days, so just points up how well I'm doing otherwise.

Barbara AHMOD - Well done on finishing the grant app! Much luck on winning the grant, as well. :)

Heather - So many smiles in one place, love that pic of your DH and the grands. Is Bea getting blond?

Purring cat on my lap, determined to knead my tummy with claws just slightly extended. Probably still punishing me for the recent dog and stranger infestations of her house. :wink: Glad to have her back. Really missed her while all the people were here. We do get attached to the little four-footed people, don't we... Corey and I are really glad to be back in our own routines. We had a short discussion on whether you can be a recluse if there are two of you... :)

Fridays are short days - I only work until 1:30, and then off to Walmart, where I've got an order constructed for pickup. Starting to like that. Might just try delivery one day, but our house is not exactly where Google says it is, so it's always a pain to get things delivered. FedEx and UPS have figured it out, but everyone else gets baffled. Including the kids, who paid no attention to my instructions and drove right past. :smile: Had to go fetch 'em and lead them back.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Lisa - You made me remember that my Dad's house, even though in a small town, was hard to find with GPS. For some reason, the GPS always took you about 12 miles past the exit you need to take off the major highway to get to his town. When he died, I never even thought that friends who weren't from my hometown would come, he lived 8 hours away from where we (and the friends) lived at the time. Said friends were headed to his house for the meal before the funeral and couldn't find it. They called the hub and he directed them in so all ended well. It is a memory now that makes me smile, both because the stupid GPS tried to take everyone to the same unknown place and because they came.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,007 Member
    Couldnt close the window and we basically had a light blanket on the beds that was it. So we froze . And woke up at 3:30 am . Tried to take a shower and thr water was cold . OY... cant wait to get back home..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    Lisa - I bet you are so glad to be living in peace again! I adore mine, but it's also great to send them home. :)
    We have them for 6 hours on Sunday so my son can move furniture etc in preparation for the au pair starting after half term. I am hoping for good weather so we can get them out of the house. They were very hyper yesterday and Edie was naughty. I was not pleased with her. However she had made a card for DH which said 'You are my favourite grandpa'.
    DDIL asked him how he felt about that and he said "It's very sweet, but it's not a competition. "
    Edie has two biological grandpas and I know she loves the one they call Bubba. My ex hardly figures in their lives. DH is their step grandad, but they all adore him.

Did some editing this morning. Not much, but better than nothing.

Blowy and showery out there. I think it will be rowing, not running, this pm.
    I have some pounds to lose as I've let things get slack. I can't blame the cruise as I more or less stayed the same then. It's just general indulgence, celebrations. And too much alcohol.
    I will be paying more attention to my CI for a while.

KimUK - I do body weight exercises, such as press ups, modified, or full. Anything that involves resistance, such as squats. I also have dumbbells and do a short sequence every morning. Bands are a cheaper alternative. Anything really that stresses the muscles will build them.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kimfisher62
    kimfisher62 Posts: 7 Member
    Margaret I love your photos.

Heather I checked out google for over 50s and found a lot of advice this time! I now have a list of ones I can do with my back and did upper/lower and core last night using 2 cans of baked beans ha ha Love your pictures the cake looks delicious!

Did my first strength training exercises last night after advice here. Had to improvise with 2 cans of baked beans. Also my dog couldnt work out why mummy was on the floor, thought it was a game and kept licking me :D I ache today so it must have worked. Looking forward to walking in the woods later with my dog after work.

Tomorrow I will be digging the garden, trying to reclaim part of it for a veggie patch, and its a workout, win win.

Kim UK
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,474 Member
    Regarding strength training ... I've been doing that since my late teens. I trained a lot in my early 20s and my coach actually suggested I become a bodybuilder (comps, posing, and all that stuff) but I wasn't keen. I also discovered that I preferred cycling. Nevertheless, I have continued to supplement the cycling with strength training. Right now, I've got a basket of weights under my table so I can do some in the evening ... and more in our home gym.

I've also started pilates once a week.

wizzywig wrote: »
    One trip I have already booked for is in early December (with the Ladies Who) It is a trip on the Northern Lights Express train - it starts at Pickering Station - it's all decorated with thousands of lights, then we take a steam train ride through the forest all lit up with lights and surprises - I'm really looking forward to it, I love trains. Just hope the weather isn't too bad, we have a coach booked to take us to Pickering.

Take care
    Love to all <3
    Viv UK

That sounds like fun! :)

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,149 Member
    :) Sasha was still a bit loopy at bedtime. At 10PM she woke me to take her out. I usually take them out about midnight so I took them out again at 1:30 and gave them a snack when we came in. Sasha can have only soft food so I gave her a scoop of the special dog food from the vet. She gobbled it up so I gave her another. This morning she and Bessie walked their usual 30 minute route with me. Sasha ate all her breakfast so I feel good about her recovery. Our walking friend is back from a long visit to her daughter so both dogs will be thrilled to see her after breakfast.

:) Google maps can't find out house, either, so I tell people about the last few blocks so they don't get lost. UPS and FEDEX have no trouble.

:) My ribs are better but still sore from overdoing it with weights last week. I may try with some lighter weights this weekend.

:) We prefer to have no one at our house. Yes, I think that two people together can be reclusive.

<3 Barbie in NW WA