WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,596 Member
    Happy Thursday ladies!

SuziQ - I also am a former WW (on and off since the 70's!), and switched to MFP several years ago when they changed their format. My PC wasn't compatible with their diary/logging and they dropped their community. I'm like you in that I too tend to incorporate what I learned in their "points" system - the eating plan was very balanced. WTG on your progress! Good job! :)

Rori - what a fine day for DH and Mars to pose in that great picture. Thanks for sharing.

Allie - thinking of you at Buddy's service. I remember my dad's graveside military service on a bitterly cold and snowy February day in northern Indiana and the veterans who showed up to perform the ceremony. What a nice tribute to a vet who served both in Europe and in the Aleutians. :'(

Barbie - good luck to Sasha on her teeth cleaning. I know the look when treats have to be withheld prior to medical treatment, both dogs give me the stink eye like they are being punished. A pat on the head and "nice dog" doesn't cut it as they sit up in front of the treat bowl, lol.

Barbara AHMOD - Are you going back to Tai Chi at some point or are you sticking with the Better Bones class?

Kate - so sad to hear of your SIL. We do the best we can to be healthy today; what's around the corner we often have no control over it seems.

Machka
    - thank you for all the links regarding dementia. My goal today is to check them out.

This "Science of Prevention" series regarding Alzheimers has spurred me to really evaluate what I am doing and can do to improve my overall health. Dr. Dale Bredesen, who is featured in this series, has a theory that with there are "36 holes in the roof" that can contribute, and the more holes a person can plug, the better.

Here are some links - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4221920/table/T1/ and http://functionalnutritionlab.com/blog/36-holes-in-the-roof/

Bredesen's Alzheimer's study focused on patients who already were showing signs of the disease and were at least heterozygous for the gene IF I am remembering right.

So with that in mind, I've made a list of my own "holes" to plug which will contribute to better overall health if nothing else - some I've already plugged.

All of the specialized testing and supplements are beyond my scope right now, but many things I can control such as the 12/3 intermittent fasting, exercise, stress reduction, B12 levels, sleep (having a problem right now due to the 2 am sinus headaches which started with DH lighting the woodstove each morning = molds and fungus on the wood no doubt plus dry air. But making headway on it.)

With that I'd better close for now before this PC freezes up. Many websites don't like Internet Explorer and I'm getting warnings that I need to switch to Chrome or Firefox. Haven't gotten a warning with MFP yet but I'm noticing some of the features don't work anymore, but they do on my little Fire tablet. Sigh.

Welcome newbies and make it a fabulous day, ladies! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Rori - not a day passes that I don't think of you. Many thoughts sending you strength.

KJ - glad to have you back, glad all went well with young Miguel, in the end. Scary stuff, though.

Allie - thinking of you, too...

My house is back to its normal silent tranquility, after nearly a week of having people around. Corey strode off into the woods yelling for Egg last night after he got home, and she came out meowing right back at him, and (warning - anthropomorphization ahead) very annoyed with us both about letting actual dogs in her house. First time I've seen my cat in days--she's fine, just a little cranky and a little jumpy after three nights in the woods.

Bits and pieces to clean up on the big federal grant, but nearly ready to hand it into the system at the university. Like herding turtles, trying to get professors to adhere to a deadline. Does not make me feel sanguine about how all this will go if we actually win the thing, since they were determined to make me the project director, but that's a worry for another day.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,827 Member
    Heather: We don’t have many options where we can sail direct. We nearly always have to fly to England when we cruise, which can be a pain for packing. But that’s the way the cookie crumbles! We’re looking at several options at the moment. I will investigate Saga. I love 💓 Duolingo. So many options, and I have the app on both iPad and iPhone.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,618 Member
    Terri - Saga is definitely more expensive, but I am sure it's worth the extra. :D
    Not having to worry about transporting yourselves is a great bonus and their customer service is so good. If you do go on a river cruise I want some feedback! On the ships we love the sea days just as much as the destinations.

We walked to Fatto and hugely enjoyed our pizzas. We walked back via the hardware shop and bought draught excluder then champagne from the supermarket. We then made the decision to carry on walking and the heavens opened! :sad: Now we are home and enjoying a cup of tea.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,090 Member
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    :)o:)<3B):*:D;)>:):p
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,872 Member
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,412 Member
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,208 Member
    Black crowned heron
    Picture for you Allie from aquarium in Duluth Minnesota...s24k1kj95sms.jpg
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,819 Member
    Barbara ... had to giggle ... I thought the same thing when Heather booked her Norway cruise ... "Oooh WE are going on another cruise!

Barbie ... it's not called "mean mom" ... it's called "tough love."

Vicki ... my husband and I get lost often mainly because he doesn't pay attention to directions. When you aren't on the clock, it's always an adventure.

Margaret ... I just love the Fall foliage! Even in the rain it is beautiful to me.

Lanette ... interesting hole plugging ideas.

Went to an apple orchard yesterday on a quest for Northern Spy apples. This is the kind my MIL always swore by and for years it's the only kind of apple I would buy for pies and freezing. Haven't been able to find them and then got away from pie making anyways. But husband and I were on a nostalgia kick and decided to find some. Working on putting up a 1/2 bushel. Thankfully my better sense got a hold of me before I bought a bushel. This is plenty of apples for two people!! Margaret ... have you heard of Fireside apples? I understand they're very popular in MN? I have a tree in my yard for some reason and only in the last year or two have they decided to produce.

Beth near Buffalo

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Margaret gorgeous fall colors!

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,007 Member
    Well even though I've walked my butt off here in NYC ..I Still ate a few heavy carb things today..
    I'm beat .. and back at it tomorrow..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,478 Member
    Did a Lower Body and Total Body DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water aerobics class then volunteer at the soup kitchen. Then I have a call with Via Benefits which is the group that Mars uses to help you with Medicare. Not that I’m really looking forward to this. Necessary evil.

Heather – I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. Good thoughts being sent her way

today I volunteer at the Green Room then we put out some of the Halloween decorations, got the posts up for the “fence” and most of the lights.

Viv UK – I don’t think I would tempt myself with a chocolate class, you must be one strong person to do that. Actually, in some ways it probably helps. You get sick of chocolate so don’t want any. I used to work at a fast food place and now I can’t stand fast food. Oh, I’ll eat it (very seldom), but I’d much rather go to a place like Subway

SuzyQ – I like you’re way of dealing with food (go out and get it). I’ve done that and, to be honest, many times I’m just too lazy to get in the car to get what I am craving, which is a good thing

Beth – I’ve never heard of a Northern Spy apple either. Have you ever heard of an Envy apple? They are gggooooodddd.

Michele in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,819 Member
    Michelr ... I have had Envy Apples. Northern Spy is an heirloom variety specific to the northeast. I love all apples if truth be told
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,090 Member
    Ttttt