WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,149 Member
    <3Allie, this will be a tough day today but you have the strength to walk through it with grace and dignity.

:) My day started out great with a pleasant 30 minute walk in the moonlight with my happy dogs followed by breakfast with my husband who had saved a short video that he knew I'd like so we could watch it together. Rain in predicted but it hasn't started yet so our next walk in a few minutes should be just as good as the first one.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💞
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,208 Member
    :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    Walked in the RAIN to the fish market, but they didn't have the blinis I had specifically gone for. :sad: I bought skate instead for his birthday tea tomorrow. He is happy. It will be after the kids have left. They are having meatballs and birthday cake.
    The good thing about the rain is that I walked extra fast! :D

Some of you may remember me writing about my friend who is a keen walker, (she came to stay with me a couple of months ago) who dropped the bread knife on her toe and severed her tendon. She was six weeks in plaster up to her knee. Eighteen months have passed and she is back in hospital with a horrible infection in the wound site. Intravenous antibiotics, cellulitis in her cannula site etc etc. The microbiologists want her to stay in for weeks, but she hopes to get home on a strict regime. She used to be a nurse, so that helps. Another example of how everything changes in a second. She was just making a sandwich for a hike. :'(
    We are trying to coordinate our timings so we can talk on the phone. Harder than it sounds.

My cleaner has had a dire emergency, not sure what, but it sounds like sad family troubles back in Brazil. Will wait to hear news. We are fairly clean still as we haven't been here.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    (((Alison)))

Heather ~ Prayers for your friend and for your cleaner! Excited for your upcoming cruise!

Carol in GA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,819 Member
    {{{Allie}}}
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Heather- I was wishing I could talk to your DH this morning. We have a VERY prolific fig tree and I am running out of ideas. I have made preserves, fig jam and strawberry/fig jam. But they keep coming. A lot of the recipes call for dried figs and mine are picked everyday. So I was thinking about his stewed fruit and wondering how he does that. It is strange to think that of all the people I know, I would think of him :)
    SueBDew in TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,597 Member
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,090 Member
    Iiiiiiii
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Christmas gifts wrapped waiting on pants for Dad only y told family about pants issue so soon he will have plenty with my 4 what they get him too. Daughter texting all day she’s so excited. JR can talk now so excuses why he can’t go to bed yet lol (I no sleepy,need water, Got to brush my teeth 🦷 (2xs),need to potty,much more) ,

Lost inch or 2 in waist y hips! 41kbs gone so far lots to go. Busy holiday seasons sweeping ne up!

Amber Tx

Feeling better think infections gone let’s hope but Doctor didn’t tell me lab was separate got a huge bill! Hospital would have been cheaper! Not going back to them but at least they got me meds y a diagnosis
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,832 Member
    Heather:Lucky lady! We’re looking at river cruises at the minute. Can’t wait for DH to make up his mind and get it booked.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,872 Member
    Lisa--Thanks for sharing the pictures. Nice looking family and everyone seems to be making good memories.

Beth--Sound even thou you were lost, you had a good trip and saw some interesting things. Our kids and grandkids always tease DH that no trip is complete unless he gets lost at least once. He says he is exploring, and we do see interesting and fun things.

Allie--Sending lots of hugs. You have done everything possible for your DFIL and you will miss him. Cry all you need that is more then your right. He was a big part of your life and your day.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,832 Member
    ☘️
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,697 Member
    Hi Gals,

Lisa – the grands are wonderful ! That poor frog doesn’t look too happy!

VT Rebecca- Maybe between each job application you could take a short walk… clear your head and add in a bit of exercise…

KimUK – not a myth that it is harder, but it is NOT impossible, and we are so much wiser now, we can do this.

Allie – hugs!

Kelly – can you share the yoga ap?

Kim from N. California
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Today is Global Cat Day!

In honor of all our beloved felines: "Global Cat Day on October 16th recognizes the need to adopt and foster cats. ... Sadly, over 70 million homeless animals fill shelters in the United States. While kittens are adorable, many older felines make great pets. ... One of the many goals of awareness campaigns like this one is to encourage adoptions. Instead of purchasing a cat from a pet store, adopt from a shelter."

Welcome to all the new arrivals!

So I may have solved the meal planning issue. After messing with the app a bit I bought a paid subscription to Mealime. All I have to do is pick the recipes from my desktop - the app will suggest meals or I can customize with our favorites. Then I run down the meal list and check off anything I know we have on hand, and Philip can use the app on his phone to get a shopping list. Crossing my fingers this will work better than asking him to do the planning has.

The scale has been going the wrong direction with my recent slump, so I gave myself the needed kick and got back on track. I'm not acclimated anymore so I know the altitude is already going to be a challenge for our February ski trip. If I stick with the Nordic Track workouts between now and then to get the cross-country rhythm back in my muscles, I'll be doing myself a big favor. I also need to increase walk time with Luna because she'll have the same challenges.

I've been feeling like I might be coming down with something, so yesterday I was cautious but today I did my workout. So far I'm not feeling any worse, so it may just be allergies. Our weather keeps swinging back and forth and it's made all the plants go haywire. I'm taking extra vitamin C and zinc, stepping up the fluids, and hoping for the best... I do not have time to be sick right now!

-Yvonne in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,478 Member
    Went to the green room. The lady was so so happy I was there. She picked up things pretty quickly, probably some of that was because she volunteered before. I just stood there and corrected her if something was going to be impacted. Otherwise, I basically let her do it

It was raining when I went there, but stopped by the time I left. Went to WalMart afterwards and I was thinking that I could wash my car but I didn’t have time

Heather – I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. Good thoughts being sent her way

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,618 Member

SueBDew - We have never stewed figs as they are mega expensive over here. We eat them fresh as a rare treat. If I needed to preserve them I would poach them slowly in a heavy syrup. What a lovely problem to have! Maybe you should just share them around the neighbourhood. o:)

Terri - we did also look at a river cruise along the Douro. May do that some time. It's on our bucket list. One day. It's obviously different where you live in Northern Island, but a huge priority for us is 'no fly'. Dover is 2 hours away and we are picked up by chauffeur at our door. We can take as much luggage as we like, which saves me stressing about packing and I don't have to lug it around. It will take a lot to get us to do a fly/cruise option. I've just got super spoilt by Saga. However they do also operate a chauffeur service to your airport in their all inclusive fly/cruise. Is it Saga you are looking at?

Still catching up on the recordings we made from tv while we were away. Lots to get through. A new series of Spiral, a French detective series has just started. We have watched all the previous series. Like to brush up on my French. Lots of slang!

I've started revising my Norwegian in preparation for next year. I learnt it for a year before I did the cruise up to Svalbard to see Penny at the North Pole. I'm starting from the beginning again, but it is going well as I've been learning Swedish for two years and it is similar.
    For anyone who doesn't know Duolingo, you can learn almost any language on the free app. It's not as good as a class, but much better than nothing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,697 Member
    Sue - you can ship me the figs!!!