Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    <3B)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Upsetting to think about staving off Alzheimer's is it just a lottery?

Kate UK <3
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Rachel ~ Welcome! Come and enjoy learning about a slew of over 50 women who help each other through every type of problems that life presents.

Carol in GA
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Iiiii
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heather While we're on the topic of blaming people for their medical conditions: not every problem a fat person has is due to his or her obesity. So many people think they are experts on obesity when, in fact, most know very little about it. This, unfortunately, includes a robust number of medical professionals. While it is important to reverse any reversible factors that impact health, I am appalled at the blame & judgment heaped upon fat people, and the thoughtless ease with which fat people are dismissed in many walks of life. Obese people often receive substandard treatment.

Karen in Virginia

Insightful.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Heather While we're on the topic of blaming people for their medical conditions: not every problem a fat person has is due to his or her obesity. So many people think they are experts on obesity when, in fact, most know very little about it. This, unfortunately, includes a robust number of medical professionals. While it is important to reverse any reversible factors that impact health, I am appalled at the blame & judgment heaped upon fat people, and the thoughtless ease with which fat people are dismissed in many walks of life. Obese people often receive substandard treatment.

Karen in Virginia

Insightful.

I remember having a primary care physician that was more obese than I was, and she was stressing to me about losing weight, blah, blah, and I was thinking, how can she dictate to me, when she needs to as well! Also I have talked to new doctors, with that "I'm a new patient, let's get to know each other" appointment. We have talked about many things, but then the only topic she puts down is obesity! Then Tricare doesn't pay for appointments if its only obesity related! So then I have to call the doctors office and state its a well person visit, update prescription etc, please change it! Its annoying. I pray one day the word obesity will be put mentally in the same category as having blue eyes, or freckles. I am obese, doesn't mean I am sick, nor that I am anything less than. Its 1% of what makes me, me.💖
    💖Rebecca
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy National Cheese Curd Day!

"Cheese Curds are unique, funky, snackable little pieces of yellow or white Wisconsin cheddar cheese. ... Fresh ones squeak when you bite into them. Cheesemakers create different flavors to appease the growing number of people enjoying cheese curds."

Heather - I agree with you that a big life change like losing a job can lead us to a better place, but getting from here to there is certainly no fun at all sometimes!

Kelly - Congratulations on the new little one in your family! Poor Joaquin... he was probably thinking, "This isn't what I had in mind when they said I was getting a brother!"

Things got busy around here again so I've been logging but not reading the forums. I didn't even try to catch up since I was 40 pages behind. I've missed you all!

Once again I'm struggling to find the motivation to exercise. It's hard because deep down I just don't want to do it. So, like a lot of things I don't want to do, I have to make myself do it anyway but I do it kicking and whining inside.

It does help a bit that the heat has finally broken. Well, kind of... we went from highs in the high 90s straight to about three days of highs in the low 50s and now we're back to the 90s again. At least it's the low 90s now instead of pushing triple digits so I feel like there's hope of nicer weather ahead. It's been an exhausting summer!

-Yvonne in TX
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Viv in UK – I spent a bit more on my kitchen redo, and a couple of other projects, than I intended, but I found it worth every cent and am so glad I did it.

Kim in UK – nothing wrong with a .5 lb weight loss-that’s a good start and very normal for many of us.

Heather UK-great news on next cruise prices.

Barbara in Seattle -yes, I did it myself. Never had that happen before, most of the time it does help relax things. I googled it and discovered that it does indeed happen.

Lisa in AR -don’t think your concern about potential deployment is political-it is just a reality for those who serve. When my son was in the Air Force, he deployed to Balaad (Iraq). Turns out he volunteered to go there and serve as a guard for the base. Scary time.

Regarding people being treated differently and doctor’s writing everything off to one obvious issue, I think the same thing can happen with women in general, especially as we near menopause. A woman I work with spent over a year trying to convince doctor’s something was wrong with her and they were just writing her off as being a bit hysterical. She did not give up the fight until she found the answer-turns out she has MS. She was in tune with her body and started noticing symptoms at an early stage. She manages it well and still works, and certainly didn’t do anything to get it. We are our own best advocates-or we can stand for others and help they get the medical services they deserve.

Saw my doctor today about leg/knee. He thinks I have a lot of inflammation and tight muscles going on involving lower back and leg. Wants to try physical therapy first, get a good evaluation from them and then see how it goes. It sounds reasonable to me. While I am waiting I want to hold off doing my own stretches, etc., to ensure I don’t do something that isn’t appropriate. When I had a deep tissue massage a few months ago she said my calves and thighs were extremely tight. Cutting back on walking goals til I get evaluated. Oh, and surprisingly, I have some arthritis involved. Going to check out some homeopathic remedies to see if something to try besides the anti-inflammatory drugs. They are ok for an acute episode but I don’t like taking them all of the time. For now, slow, steady mindful walking, ice, and massage with some eucalyptus oil. Enough whining from me. There are far worse things going on than my current infirmaries.

Question about taxes --I've read several of you are working on taxes at different times (and I think none of the ones doing that are in the US). I guess I am just so used to us doing ours January - April 15 I never thought about different ways of doing them. Do the other countries just have a different time frame? Does everyone in a given place have the same deadline or does it vary? Just got me curious.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Happy National Cheese Curd Day!

"Cheese Curds are unique, funky, snackable little pieces of yellow or white Wisconsin cheddar cheese. ... Fresh ones squeak when you bite into them. Cheesemakers create different flavors to appease the growing number of people enjoying cheese curds."

Heather - I agree with you that a big life change like losing a job can lead us to a better place, but getting from here to there is certainly no fun at all sometimes!

Kelly - Congratulations on the new little one in your family! Poor Joaquin... he was probably thinking, "This isn't what I had in mind when they said I was getting a brother!"

Things got busy around here again so I've been logging but not reading the forums. I didn't even try to catch up since I was 40 pages behind. I've missed you all!

Once again I'm struggling to find the motivation to exercise. It's hard because deep down I just don't want to do it. So, like a lot of things I don't want to do, I have to make myself do it anyway but I do it kicking and whining inside.

It does help a bit that the heat has finally broken. Well, kind of... we went from highs in the high 90s straight to about three days of highs in the low 50s and now we're back to the 90s again. At least it's the low 90s now instead of pushing triple digits so I feel like there's hope of nicer weather ahead. It's been an exhausting summer!

-Yvonne in TX

You take a daily vitamin right? Just thing of your daily exercise as your physical vitamin. For me that takes the "choice" out of it. Its just something we do. Pretty soon people will recognize you and then that's accountability. I tell my friends at the gym, I am the token obese person. Someone has to be, and I am honored to be one.💖
    💖Rebecca
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    I am not a lover of exercise, I am a lover of feeling happier, less stressed and more energetic- and exercise (for me) contributes to my feeling better eventually and sometimes almost immediately. My exercise is like Becca says—it is my vitamin —without doing some kind of exercise I eventually start to feel sadder, and less energetic.

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.48min, 135mhr, 12.2amph, 1.59mi= 79c
    apple watch- 57c
    ELIPTICAL- 50min, 127mhr, 113ahr, 2-5incl, 2-6resist, 4.75mi= 391c
    apple watch- 358c
    Floor exercises- 4.31min, 102mhr, 3sts of 10ea, 3 diff. exercises= 17c
    apple watch- 32c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.14min, 131mhr, 17amph, 1.48mi= 53c
    apple watch- 50c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 16.59min, 140mhr, 10.7amph, 3.04mi= 157c
    apple watch- 107c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.50min, 141mhr, 10.43min mi, .54mi= 68c
    apple watch- 59c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.32min, 9.45min mi, 146mhr, .46mi= didn’t record
    apple watch- 60c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 14.52min, 10.5amph, 142mhr, 2.59mi=. 230c
    apple watch- 120c

total cal 1055
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did one hour HIIT on the elliptical. Did ½ hr on the elliptical where you are standing and the other half on a recumbent elliptical. I’d never used one before. The plan for tomorrow is to do Bob Harper’s Body Revolution DVD

Luci NC – hope you feel better soon

Still avoiding eating on the side of my mouth where the bridge belongs. I have an appt next Tuesday for them to do the prep work for the bridge. Wonder what that includes? It’s been so long since this bridge was put in that I’ve forgotten. Well…I’ll find out soon enough

KJ – what a blessing you were to Lauren, Joaquin and everyone.

Beautiful day today. We got about 80% of the stakes out for the “fence”. Now for the part where we have to be careful where we put the stakes so that we don’t puncture a pipe. Fortunately, Vince has LOTS and LOTS of pictures of where the pipes are.

Barbara – as the ceramics are done, I certainly will share them. Right now I’m working on a snail, a friend gave me this what looks like pilgrim hat that I may be able to use on the turtle I just did (right now I have a straw hat on him). Another friend went to this shop in SC and got a large mug for me. I was looking for a large one for the condo. Honestly, I probably could find one in Target for less money, but it wouldn’t have that “personal” touch.

Welcome everyone new!

Michele in NC