WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi all!
    Feeling more energy today. Let's hope it continues. I feel as if a cloud has lifted. :) The whole world looks different!
    DH is still suffering. I hope he can go dancing tonight, but I can go on my own if necessary.

Lisa - feeling for you. Guests are a very mixed blessing, but it is so good for you to reconnect with the grandchildren. <3

I have to get my tax return in by the end of the month. I still do it on paper, which I prefer, but have to get info online about savings interest etc. It never takes long once I get started, but I find myself resenting it as I am always way below the tax threshold. I haven't paid tax for many years, but because I have a tiny writing income, I still have to fill in the forms. DH 's is automatic. Of course, I'm always hopeful that one day my writing will earn me a fortune!

Struggling with editing my memoir and getting it into a readable form. At the moment it is all in fragments. Yesterday I made a start and found that the cutting and pasting was repeating itself, so I'm in a muddle. Grrrrrrr! :sad:

DH is worrying about his younger daughter who will probably be made redundant on Friday. She is in a highly paid editing job at a magazine (a dying trade) and has a London mortgage on an apartment she was trying to sell. In her late 40s she has the lifestyle of a 30 year old in London. Out every night, travel, etc. A seismic shake up coming, I feel. We have seen this coming for some time, but it doesn't make it any easier. Major transitions are a real shock to the system. Even if she survives this round of redundancy, it will come eventually.
    I think there is a better, less superficial, more fulfilling life ahead, but DH just thinks I am being a Pollyanna. :*

Love to all and welcome to the newbies. Most of us don't do Friends, but just chat away on this thread.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,117 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Rebecca: 😂 🤣😂🤣😂 Winter canning!!!
    Machka: Happy Days! You con do online at your leisure.
    Heather: Glad you are feeling better. I always find the transition back to RL after a cruise is a bit of a downer. Hope DH is up to dancing tonight, although I’m sure you will make the most of it either way.
    Doing tax returns can be such a bore. I’m fortunate that DYD is a chartered account, and does my tax for me. I did hope I could stop doing returns after we sold our rental property, but no such luck!
    Much sympathy on the edit. I’m trying to edit/collate my poetry anthology at the moment, and it’s so time consuming.
    Not good news about step-daughter. I hope she has had the sense to save some money against a rainy day.

Got on well at Patchwork. I am making a Christmas door wreath and managed to cut out most of the components at the session this morning.

Weather has turned cold/damp again so will be staying indoors this afternoon. I am planning to do some de cluttering!

Must get lunch started first.

☘️ Terri
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Dad with Dementia- Finally found out what he needs so searched found blue jeans online cheap,stretchy,wrangler like he likes for his Birthday coming up y Christmas. Thought I was done discovering Daughter May possibly get leave for Christmas so now hurrying around to prepare her things to get Christmas stuff off her bed! Searching for things to do when she’s here etc. No time in the day!

Teaching JR words to get him advanced he’s starting to speak...or demand things not sure which lol. I want a Cat! I want shoes! I want cookie!

Amber Tx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    Machka: Happy Days! You con do online at your leisure.

Weather has turned cold/damp again so will be staying indoors this afternoon. I am planning to do some de cluttering!

☘️ Terri

I will have deadlines when the assignments are due, and the course is longer than the spring/summer courses I've taken which I'm not entirely thrilled about ... (about 13 weeks instead of about 5 weeks) ...

But not walking to/from the university 1-2 days a week and disrupting my work day will be very nice. :)

And not having to attend classes means that I can do my work anywhere. So if I take a break and we head off to a quiet cabin somewhere, I can work on my assignments there.

What I'm finding amusing is that this course is offered through the Marine department ... but my own IT department can't put together an online course if its life depended on it!!! :lol:

Rainy here too and supposed to be for the rest of the week. I suspect I'll be exercising inside this week .. and I got wet on my walk home!

Machka in Oz

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Qqqqqq
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Kelly what a gift, what a blessing that you were there for Lauren. All the best as you get back into the swing of things at home and pay off that sleep debt! You ran on adrenaline and love, now get some much needed rest.

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Kelly, same thing happened with me with my first, he got stuck and his heart rate kept droppingso emergency c section, i ended up having an allergic reaction to something, and they kept Dan isolated . was in the hospital 11 days.. they never did figure out what it was.
    but both my children are healthy thank the good lord.., doing laundry and then will run to walmart to get small travel stuff for our NYC trip.. change of undies and another shirt and thats about it. tonight the wake...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    KJ - Really hoping you can get some rest. <3 What a wonderful mother/grandmother you are. I only got about a one hour visit from mine. :# My DMIL picked up the pieces, which is why I'm determined to be a good MIL/granny. :D

I was bright and breezy this morning, but, having been out to the shops to buy a card for DH, I now feel ropey and joint achey again. DH is definitely sick, so we won't go to dancing tonight. They will be rehearsing for the Performance Ball on Sunday, which we do hope to attend, so I'm not too sorry. We've missed two previous weeks of the rehearsals.
    I will make his cake this pm. Edie specially requested the Whole Orange cake I made for her dad's birthday, so I boiled the orange this morning. The grandchildren will be coming to tea on his birthday. <3 We also have Swedish meatballs. :laugh:

Terri - I was all set to do some serious editing this morning, but when I turned on my laptop it told me it was updating and 'It will take some time.' Let me off the hook! :D I moved some photos around on my tablet instead.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• kimfisher62
    kimfisher62 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I love reading all your posts.

Lisa in AR I am so jealous it sounds fab, warm kitchen, kids and grandchildren and animals everywhere. My family are scattered all over this tiny island, the nearest being 2.5 hours drive away. There is just me and my OH and our dog living in a quiet village. Sometimes the peace is lovely but others I just wish the house was full.

Weigh in this week was my first and I only lost half a pound. Sulking but not giving up :# I was madly digging the garden on Saturday must have burned loads of calories! I am digging an area ready to grow veggies and berries. We have a large area left to clear of rubbish then we will get chickens. I also want a peaceful area to sit away from the house and OH when he is working on his old Landrovers. :D

Kim UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Pppppp
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    The 7-months pregnant daughter is in full "nesting" mode, so went to the grocery store to get everything to make meatball subs for dinner with her dad's meatballs from the freezer. The funny part is, she never looked at what we had, so bought eveyr spice known to man, as well... :smiley: No worries, they'll either take them with them, or we'll use them eventually. I leave both her and her father alone in the kitchen - they're the territorial chef types, and I could care less if I ever stirred another pot, so it works out :smiley: I cooked for 27 years with my first husband, and don't miss it at all with the current and final husband. :)

Kim in the UK - Yep, I get how wonderful it sounds, and I actually enjoy the noise and the chaos, dogs and all (for short periods of time). Our Heather on this thread actually moved not that long ago, so she'd have that availability of being there with her grands. What I'm not fond of is my husband being angry with his daughter, having informed her he didn't want the dogs in the house when they spoke about it in July, and his not being willing to confront her and get it over with. He's the one with the objections, not me, but I get to be the one walking around on tiptoe, waiting for a blowup that probably won't happen, as that's a fear from MY childhood, I think. I need to get over it, as well. He will still love her, and she knows it, so she pushed it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not my circus, not my monkeys. Or my dogs, for that matter. The best part is, being this age, I know it's not my problem to fix, it's theirs.

I'm thinking it's naptime - gray weather's come in, and brought massive sinus pressure with it, and me and the pregnant lady are retiring to separate bedrooms to nap while her hubby takes care of children and dogs. Yay!

KJ - I thought Joaquin was trying to disappear... and so glad that everything turned out well for young Miguel.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Allie--glad your DD and DGD were not hurt.

Heather--Sounds like that cruise is just met to be. I love traveling with you.

Cool and windy here today and working 12 hour shift today and now picking up 8 hours on Saturday. Overtime is nice with Christmas coming, but I would love to have a day just to sleep.

Eating is better last couple days and happy about that. Even took the dogs for a walk last evening. Jake the pug wasn't happy about it, but I told him we have to do this and we both will live. Oscar was just happy to go.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3