Define a Curvy Woman PLEASE!

Options

Replies

• BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    To me, curvy is this:

142285669447421881_JkGWSIVI_c.jpg

^^^this is curvy!!! also she is my celebrity wife just doesnt know it yet haha
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    It's one of those words that has been defined by how it's used.

To me, a "curvy" woman could be a couple of things. Either a woman (of any size) whose boobs and hips are noticeably bigger than her waist. Or simply a plus sized woman. Some people argue that it's incorrect to refer to fat women as curvy - like it's impossible to put a positive spin on being fat or something. But my belly, and hips, and thighs are made up of lovely soft curves. I don't see how it's wrong to call myself curvy (my hips are also 10" bigger than my waist, so there's that, but I'm arguing that my plus sized-ness makes me curvy as well)
  • ohsnapitssummer
    ohsnapitssummer Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    The Kate Dennings picture pretty much explains it :love:
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    sweet. yet another thread where people try to get 100% agreement on a definition of a body type even though it's completely and utterly meaningless. if you're happy with your shape, who gives a damn what other people call it? if you're unhappy, start controlling your calories and exercising, change yourself, not the label.

pears, apples, hourglasses, curvy, whatevs. out.

I understand what you're saying, it's just that I'm insecure with myself. So it is very hard to roll with the flow. I'm just curious that's all. I don't mean to offend, like I said in my first post. Thank you for your response! I agree with changing yourself and not "labeling".

You don't need to apologize for your question. I've been around for a while, I and I can't seem to get a handle on this guy. He seems helpful enough, but he does tend to show up in a female-oriented thread lecturing the poor, dumb wimmins about our silly wittle feelings. I'm guessing he's from that generation that naturally assumes to be smarter than the girls. Don't ever apologize for starting a conversation. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to read the thread.

:flowerforyou:
    Options
    Oh ,and to answer your question, in the truest sense of the word, curvy means a woman with nice round hips and breasts, However, the word's been co-opted to make people feel good who need to take better care of themselves better. Honey Boo Boo's mother is "curvy." That says it all.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    sweet. yet another thread where people try to get 100% agreement on a definition of a body type even though it's completely and utterly meaningless. if you're happy with your shape, who gives a damn what other people call it? if you're unhappy, start controlling your calories and exercising, change yourself, not the label.

I understand what you're saying, it's just that I'm insecure with myself. So it is very hard to roll with the flow. I'm just curious that's all. I don't mean to offend, like I said in my first post. Thank you for your response! I agree with changing yourself and not "labeling".

You don't need to apologize for your question. I've been around for a while, I and I can't seem to get a handle on this guy. He seems helpful enough, but he does tend to show up in a female-oriented thread lecturing the poor, dumb wimmins about our silly wittle feelings. I'm guessing he's from that generation that naturally assumes to be smarter than the girls. Don't ever apologize for starting a conversation. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to read the thread.

The OP asked a question directed at "guys" and is getting various answers. That is the point.

I agree that the various fruit labels aren't helpful. They're simply a matter of where people store fat on their bodies.

OP - I love curves (of the type described above on Salma Hayek), but I agree with many other posters here that "curvy" is too often a label used that really means "overweight." It obviously depends on the person using the term though, and people like different things.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    To me, curvy is this:

142285669447421881_JkGWSIVI_c.jpg

^^^this is curvy!!! also she is my celebrity wife just doesnt know it yet haha

I think she was going to be my celebrity wife first. :D
    She certainly doesn't look like a broke girl in this photo...
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I found this on the internet, and couldn't say it better . . .

"Curvy does not mean fat, obese, thick, overweight, plus size or full figure. It just means there is a curve definition and healthy."

This.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Now if only this were a female oriented thread and the question hadn't been directed at men and you may have a point.

Except it'd still be kind of stupid and that guy would still be right because clearly there is no one agreed upon definition and it really doesn't matter, especially not as a tool to battle ones apparent insecurity with their body. So I guess really your point is limited no matter what.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Wow. You want to talk about insults! Dav does nothing but help people - men and women alike. And what did he say that WASN'T true? I'd rather someone tell me straight to stop being insecure and trying to define myself by other's standards than be coddled and allow myself to wallow in those insecurities and self-pity.

His words are actually inspiring, not demeaning. You sure have a funny definition of the word if you think empowering a woman to be confident in herself and stop living off of what other's think is putting a woman down.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I think this thread has shown, that is no true definition of curvy and we all have different thoughts of what we believe curvy is.
  • TheRealOrson
    TheRealOrson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Kathy Ferreiro's figure is what comes to mind for me when I think of "curvy"

kathy-ferreiro-01.jpg
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    ^ mother of god....time to do some research on her for *kitten* material
  • TheRealOrson
    TheRealOrson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    @kathyzworld on instagram bro ;-)
    Options

Now if only this were a female oriented thread and the question hadn't been directed at men and you may have a point.

Except the OP clearly asked women in her OP (original post).

"And what do the women on MFP think? "

Your point = moot

Except it'd still be kind of stupid and that guy would still be right because clearly there is no one agreed upon definition and it really doesn't matter, especially not as a tool to battle ones apparent insecurity with their body. So I guess really your point is limited no matter what.

So the OP is stupid for asking for other women's opinions cause you & Dav say so. OK, cupcake.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Okay, I hear women all the time say that they're not overweight but "got curves." Some women who say this are so unhealthy. So, I thought to myself if women seem to think that being overweight is actually them being curvy what do guys think about a curvy woman? As in what do guys consider to be curves.

I happen to think curves are women who have an hourglass shape and are "thick" but not overweight. The actress "Scarlett Johansson" quickly comes to mind when I think of curves.

I know guys say a confident woman makes them sexy, is that the case when an overweight woman thinks she's sexy and doesn't try to start being healthy?

And what do the women on MFP think?

I don't mean to offend anyone on here whatsoever, I am overweight and working towards my healthy lifestyle. I don't call myself curvy because I don't consider my extra weight curves. So, I feel comfortable thinking out loud with this thought.

Hmm. You're right. No questions directed towards men here. The question wasn't what do men think is curvy at all. While she also asked what women think, context clues/basic english say the primary thought was about men's opinion, with women allowed to give input as well ('And what do women think.')

And I never called the OP stupid. Stupid questions do not a stupid person make, but whatever you want to read into my comments is fine by me, Honey.
  • SkinnyMarni3
    SkinnyMarni3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well, to me a curvy woman is a woman with a nice hip to waist ratio, so a small waist and wide hips (and boobs). So a typical hourglass, or maybe a pear shape. But a lot of women have used the term to describe their body when in reality they are just plain fat, not ''curvy''.
    It's a subject that really annoys me because there are more and more women who are obese and think it is perfectly fine to be so, and that it is the new norm. Who look at athletic models or thin people and call them unhealthy! (and anorexic... anorexia is a mental illness, not a body shape!). It really makes me cringe.
    They say real women have curves and actually mean real women are fat, so it justifies them being fat.

To me curvy is Scarlett Johansson, Beyonce, Jenifer Love Hewitt, Salma Hayek etc. And not Adele, for example.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Except the OP clearly asked women in her OP (original post).

"And what do the women on MFP think? "

Your point = moot

So the OP is stupid for asking for other women's opinions cause you & Dav say so. OK, cupcake.

The only person directly insulted was Dav.

And MFP = public forum so regardless of what gender the question is directed, both genders are still allowed to reply. Go to or start a women's only group if you want to dictate who gets to reply to a question.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Researchers tend to examine the topic of what exactly is a curvy woman by examining a woman's waist-to-hip ratio. Researchers in evolutionary mate selection and whr (for example, Devendra Singh), suggests that cross-culturally, men prefer women with a 0.7 whr or less regardless of BMI.

In other words, whether you are thin or obese (defined by BMI) as long as you have a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.7 or less, you are considered to have a curvaceous body. As always in research, you either have stats that support or don't support findings, so of course this finding is not an absolute. Either way I find it interesting.

So, I'm single due to my 0.8 waist to hip ratio! That explains it! :wink: :laugh: Must do more squats!!!

Ha! Like I mentioned, it's just a research finding and sometimes you have to take studies with a grain of salt. Besides, attractiveness isn't solely contingent on having a low waist-to-hip ratio. A woman could be 36-24-36 (whr 0.67) but if she is a b*tch, most likely that'll affect her attractiveness in a negative way.
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Curvy women are usually an hour glass figure, small waist bigger chest bigger hips.