Beginning Nov 1, 2019, the free version of the diary will only save data for last two years

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,702 Member
    Options
    AFAIK, the food diary is going to be affected, not the exercise diary.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,922 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    AFAIK, the food diary is going to be affected, not the exercise diary.

As you can see ... my instructions above allow a user to save food, exercise, or both. :)
  • PAV8888
    edited October 2019
    Options
    While it's used to be the case that people could follow your instructions and select to view their food diaries 365 days at a time, this stopped working the past couple of years. For me it will only display 14 days at a time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,922 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    While it's used to be the case that people could follow your instructions and select to view their food diaries 365 days at a time, this stopped working the past couple of years. For me it will only display 14 days at a time.

It's still working very well for me! The images I posted were captured today.

And, although it's not 365 days, you can also get your exercise summary for the past 90 days. Much more than just 14 days there ...

s9ywfx1tgqfl.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    threewins wrote: »
    It would seem to me that without the skills to scrape the data, videoing the screen or using a screen video program would be the best option to retrieve the data, without paying $10.

Took me a few minutes, and no videos, and I've got my info without paying $10. :)

I don't suppose you'd care to share?

Go to Exercise ... and Exercise Diary ...

Scroll Down ...

Click the bright green View Full Report (Printable) button. You'll see this screen ... except with your name, of course.

Change the From to something a long time ago ... 2 or 3 years ago ... then click the Change Report button. You'll get a screen like this giving you the last 365 days and telling you it will only display the last 365 days.

Right click on the screen and choose Print.

Print to pdf.

Voila! :)

Then you do that for each year you want. :)

Slightly more complicated ...

Right click on the screen and choose View Page Source.

When the code opens, select the part that has the info you want and copy into WordPad.

From there, extract the numbers. :)

Voila! :)

Then you do that for each year you want. :)

This process works for me, with problems.

I selected first a date range for all of 2012 and then all of 2013. While I did get all of my exercise entries, my food entries didn't start until August for the former and July for the later. For 2014, my food started in April.

When I opened up the pdfs, I saw this message:

3eb2a95ffa92e8c520c542f0d037982c.png

And sure enough, my data is definitely truncated - 2012 & 2014 start in mid October, 2013 in December.

ETA - ah, I was not printing to pdf correctly. Once I did this through the print menu, my data was no longer truncated :)
  • imvandeen
    imvandeen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You see the little lock to the right? You're not going to get any data!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10768872/november-1-2019-food-diary-change/p1?new=1

is my "suggestion" post in the suggestions forum. Feel free to up-vote / discuss.

While MFP staff MIGHT consider a crowd supported suggestion in that section, threads like this are guaranteed to be completely ignored unless a moderator decides we're too rowdy!

You've got my thumb up vote !! 👍
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    imvandeen wrote: »
    I'd like a chance to be able to export & save my data as well.

I know that other people who I have inspired to use the MFP tool have benefited from being able to see where I started from & what I ate & how I exercised to get to where I am now.

I'd also like to know if I became a premium member at a later date would the info be available again?

NB Just tried to export everything now & see that feature is locked except for premium members already :-(

Hmm, I'm not getting any indication that it is locked already. I do get a promo for Premium afterwards, but it's not clear that I need to upgrade first. Of course, I haven't received my data yet.

The PITA way to go around this on web is to go to Food, and then from your current diary page, scroll down and click “View Full Report”. You can then copy and paste based on a date range.

But you can’t do the full thing at one time, and the period of time you can do in one setting is inconsistent. At one point it was letting me do 4 months at a time, and then in the same evening, it took it to less than a week.

Aka: yet another reason why I won’t pay for premium.

@collectingblues Thanks for this, I didn't need to export to a spreadsheet, printing to PDF was useful enough.

Did however have to to do it 1 month at a time, but only took me about 15 mins to save over 2 years of data.

You're a :star:
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm getting varying amounts of time as well no matter what date range I choose. Mostly I get about 2 months at a time. Very frustrating.
  • cheryldumais
    Options
    Just took a look by the day and much of it is already gone. I think they have already removed some of the data. I've been on here since 2015 but when I try to pull up the days they are blank.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,323 Member
    Options
    Just took a look by the day and much of it is already gone. I think they have already removed some of the data. I've been on here since 2015 but when I try to pull up the days they are blank.

FWIW, I still have data for 7/25/2015 . . . haven't checked all days in between, yet. ;)
  • cheryldumais
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

FWIW, I still have data for 7/25/2015 . . . haven't checked all days in between, yet. ;)

Yes, mine is the same. Seems like odd days are just gone. January 1st is missing but the 14th is there etc.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Yes, mine is the same. Seems like odd days are just gone. January 1st is missing but the 14th is there etc.

Mine was the same. It was so far back that I figured I must have just not logged those days.
  • cheryldumais
    Options

Mine was the same. It was so far back that I figured I must have just not logged those days.

I know I logged but they tell me there’s no way to recover it. So no point in going premium since they lost half my data anyway. Their explanation was that it might not have synced which is possible but it would have had to happen many, many times. Since I’ve paid nothing I’ll just have to cut my loses. I still love the app.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    Given this change appears to be universal, it may run afoul of the Article 20 of the GDPR regulations by requiring a Premium subscription to access and export your own data without basically resorting to scraping the data from the unreliable diary reports.
    The data subject shall have the right to receive the personal data concerning him or her, which he or she has provided to a controller, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to another controller without hindrance from the controller to which the personal data have been provided, where:
    the processing is based on consent pursuant to point (a) of Article 6(1) or point (a) of Article 9(2) or on a contract pursuant to point (b) of Article 6(1); and
    the processing is carried out by automated means.

I'm in the US so this doesn't really apply to me anyway. Although UA pays lip service to applying those principals globally.

https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032273632-What-is-the-GDPR-and-how-does-it-affect-my-experience-with-Under-Armour-and-its-related-applications-
    We believe the principles laid out in the GDPR will become the global standard. Under Armour therefore has adopted high-level principles from the regulation, as well as other similar regional regulations, and is working to apply them globally throughout our consumer journey.

@Alex might want to point out to someone that this change is a potential violation of the GDPR.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @Alex is either too busy, or agrees with the actions, or disagrees but has been over-ruled.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of cool to go see what I ate for lunch on March 17, 2014 at some restaurant I visited on vacation, cross-referenced with my Yelp review of the restaurant...but it's definitely not cool enough to pay for it. So whatever.