• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    29.1 gram added sugars, 5 grams from milk

10 from a bowl of noodles! Weren’t even that good! O
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    12 total grams for me today. No added sugar.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    10-28
    12 gms sugar

Today's the 29th, October sure did roll by quickly. It came in like a lion and it's going out like a lion.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    Hi All!

It’s early in day - but food packed and diary closed...
    12 total grams of sugar. 1.5 grams added sugar - wow I had to half my portion of salad dressing with all those sugars. Sheesh. Thousand island is my fav too... have to work on my own recipe.
  • Diatonic12
    edited October 2019
    Options
    10-29
    6 gms sugar
    I actually feel much better on 24 gms sugar or less. Sure do.

Had a 3 egg mixed kale/other greens vege omelette with La Tourangelle High Oleic Sunflower Oil, green olives in garlic, thyme olive oil, shaved parmesan cheese and entire small avocado slices on top. I swilled 4 or 5 espressos with nutiva coconut manna and kerrygold butter.
    Lunch was 1/2 cup rice with mixed vegetables with tuna and horseradish mayo, added dill and parsley, dilly chips (dill pickles on the side). Gouda black peppered cheese
    Dinner - marinara and meatballs
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Anyone else noticing improved mental clarity? 💭
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    Anyone else noticing improved mental clarity? 💭

Yes, indeedy. Absolutely. I feel better, already. I'm so glad we're all doing this, aren't you?
  • corinasue1143
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Oops! 52 added sugars today. 11 natural.
    I usually have 1 caramel apple every Halloween. Today was the day. 22 sugar. Worth it.
    I had a prepackaged salad. I knew it had a sweet dressing included, but gees! 22 added sugars again. Nope. Not again. I’ll look before I buy next time.

While looking at this I realized the caramel apple would be partly natural from the apple. Guess I’d look up a small apple for sugar and subtract from 22 to get added?

Still learning.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

It’s early in day - but food packed and diary closed...
    12 total grams of sugar. 1.5 grams added sugar - wow I had to half my portion of salad dressing with all those sugars. Sheesh. Thousand island is my fav too... have to work on my own recipe.

Ya, I just started making salad dressing with EVOO and pomegranate molasses, and the pom is all juice, which the WHO counts as an added sugar, so I did the math to see if I can fit it in tonight - just barely. The other salad dressing I use is a half serving of Newman's Ranch, which only has a half gram of sugar, plus cottage cheese, and I do not count the sugar that comes naturally in that.

I have 18 g of "must have" sugars, which leaves me with about 7 g of discretionary.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Oops! 52 added sugars today. 11 natural.
    I usually have 1 caramel apple every Halloween. Today was the day. 22 sugar. Worth it.
    I had a prepackaged salad. I knew it had a sweet dressing included, but gees! 22 added sugars again. Nope. Not again. I’ll look before I buy next time.

While looking at this I realized the caramel apple would be partly natural from the apple. Guess I’d look up a small apple for sugar and subtract from 22 to get added?

Still learning.

Sure, that would work.

Did the apple have packaging with the nutrition info? Companies are starting to add what of the sugar comes from added sugar. Big companies (supposedly) have to complete this by January and smaller companies plus niches like cranberry products have more time.

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-labeling-nutrition/industry-resources-changes-nutrition-facts-label#AddedSugars

When must the label be displayed on food packages?

Many manufacturers are already using the new label, but they have more time to make the changes. Changes must be made by January 1, 2020, for manufacturers with $10 million or more in annual food sales. Manufacturers with less than $10 million in annual food sales have an extra year to comply – until January 1, 2021. Manufacturers of most single-ingredient sugars such as honey and maple syrup and certain cranberry products have until July 1, 2021, to make the changes. Manufacturers of certain flavored dried cranberries have until July 1, 2020 to make the changes.

I understand that FDA has received multiple requests from manufacturers to provide additional time to comply with the new requirements. Do I still have to meet the January 1, 2020, compliance date?

The FDA has heard from several manufacturers and groups that more time may be needed to meet all of the requirements. Therefore, during the first 6 months following the January 1, 2020, compliance date, FDA plans to work cooperatively with manufacturers to meet the new Nutrition Facts label requirements and will not focus on enforcement actions regarding these requirements during that time.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    10-30
    11 gms sugar

Three egg omelette with homemade bacon bits and mixed greens
    Swilled espressos - 4-5 with all of the uzhe (usual) tiddlywinks that I add every single day
    Steak grilled to perfection outside in -4 degree temps this morning but now sittin' pretty @ 17 degrees F
    Small baked potato
    Green beans
    Sour cream
    Butter

Can I post a song. Hope so, because all of this is making me very happy. I feel better and that's just the way I roll with less added sugar. I hope we keep going through the holidays.

The lyrics.... "I never liked the taste of crow but baby, I ate it" keep running through my head. I've had to eat crow in my past. :p Thought I had the world by the tail until I ate it all back. That was the most humbling experience to pick myself back UP after I ate it all back. 100 lbs. I can't grow through that again and tightening things back up like we're doing is making it easier. You're out there, I'm here and I'm telling on myself because I do not want to have to eat crow again.

I used to entertain myself with playfoods. So here's the song and I just changed my mind, now it's going to be "I Don't Want to Be a One Man Band". This is more fun, together. We're dialing it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lxA1FXOiv0

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I was out of town (for a conference and then work) through Monday, so while I was not intentionally eating added sugar (i.e., sweets), I am sure there was some in dressings and sauces and such, and I could not measure. I also grabbed a protein bar for a breakfast on the run. So oh well.

Yesterday I was finally able to log again, and to eat only my homecooked food and had no added sugar.

I have not been counting or limiting total sugar, since mine usually comes from veg and fruit, so I like it to be high, but for fun yesterday I had 59 g -- 31.5 from an apple and a couple of clementines, and 27.5 from everything else (mainly vegetables, including winter squash). About 35 g of fiber.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kbulmahn wrote: »
    i just found this thread and was really excited about it. I am on day 6 of logging in regularly. this sugar deal is going to be hard to keep up with. i love grapes while i work but never paid attention to how much sugar was in them. Friday i had 22 g in grapes and 51 total. boy that was eye opening. lol. thanks for starting this.

@kbulmahn welcome!

You can do this challenge however you want, however, I am not counting sugar in fruit, dairy, veggies, etc. - I am only counted added / "free" sugar per the World Health Organization recommendations:

https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

4 MARCH 2015 ¦ GENEVA - A new WHO guideline recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grams (6 teaspoons) per day would provide additional health benefits.

Guideline on sugars intake for adult and children

Free sugars refer to monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) added to foods and drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.

Yes, this is the same for me. I generally try to eat a good amount of foods with intrinsic sugars like fruits and veg. I am avoiding added sugar, although I'm going to allow small amounts in savory spice mixes and sauces if I really want to use those.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kbulmahn wrote: »
    i just found this thread and was really excited about it. I am on day 6 of logging in regularly. this sugar deal is going to be hard to keep up with. i love grapes while i work but never paid attention to how much sugar was in them. Friday i had 22 g in grapes and 51 total. boy that was eye opening. lol. thanks for starting this.

@kbulmahn welcome!

You can do this challenge however you want, however, I am not counting sugar in fruit, dairy, veggies, etc. - I am only counted added / "free" sugar per the World Health Organization recommendations:

https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

4 MARCH 2015 ¦ GENEVA - A new WHO guideline recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grams (6 teaspoons) per day would provide additional health benefits.

Guideline on sugars intake for adult and children

Free sugars refer to monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) added to foods and drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.

Yes, this is the same for me. I generally try to eat a good amount of foods with intrinsic sugars like fruits and veg. I am avoiding added sugar, although I'm going to allow small amounts in savory spice mixes and sauces if I really want to use those.

Yes, lots of fruit and veg here:

9e5157f25026ce6f1499dc6aab2fd7b8.png

Added sugar:
    10/23: 85 g
    10/24: 48 g
    10/25: 26 g
    10/26: 25 g
    10/27: 20 g
    10/28: 24 g
    10/29: 21 g
    10/30: 18 g
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    Today 17g added sugar, small piece of cake, salad dressing.
    14 g natural, onion, carrot, milk
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    10-30
    13 grams total sugars today. I had a breve cappuccino 😇
    (And some grapes, carrots, celery and alfalfa sprouts. Alfalfa in egg salad is my thing lately..) 😋
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    1915018_1109275215763924_3712969972323822674_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQm4zZgwIYHJkIJB_o73uU-n3zCs4rw7qL_GLzz2LgzDsY7rPqNbYvN_SUcTjbpFKeE&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=71d9acd0a1378e6f60905bb25f43c3b0&oe=5E62C022

I always doctor up the first cuppa espresso and I drink the rest of them black. The first one gets the royal treatment with a wild combo of tiddlywinks. Nutiva coconut manna, kerrygold butter, nutpods, ripple or SO coconut creamer and collagen peptides.

I drink espresso in the 'fasted' state, first thing when my feet hit the floor. Some may start working out in the fasted state, not me. Coffee and breakfast first.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    1915018_1109275215763924_3712969972323822674_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQm4zZgwIYHJkIJB_o73uU-n3zCs4rw7qL_GLzz2LgzDsY7rPqNbYvN_SUcTjbpFKeE&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=71d9acd0a1378e6f60905bb25f43c3b0&oe=5E62C022

I always doctor up the first cuppa espresso and I drink the rest of them black. The first one gets the royal treatment with a wild combo of tiddlywinks. Nutiva coconut manna, kerrygold butter, nutpods, ripple or SO coconut creamer and collagen peptides.

I drink espresso in the 'fasted' state, first thing when my feet hit the floor. Some may start working out in the fasted state, not me. Coffee and breakfast first.

@Diatonic12 is that your house? Where is that much snow already?
    Yeah - I’m a breakfast eater...
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    The wild, wild west. That's as close as I can get without compromising others when you live waaaay out in the country. It didn't even wait until Halloween. We always have a lorra, lorra snow in the wintertime but we're already breaking record cold temps and have almost twice the normal annual rainfall right now. Weatherman said our bizarre weather is affecting CA and those wildfires because the jet stream is spinning everything over here. They have none and we're getting it all. I do know someone who lives directly in the path of the fires and they are sitting on pins and pine needles, holding their breath.

I'm going to a Halloween Party at lunchtime and I'm wearing a costume. I'm not really sure what we're having but I'll make it work. For breakfast, the uzhe coffee. Crepes with a side of homemade marinara with a couple of Italian meatballs on top, parmesan cheese

It is Halloween and if you're holding your breath, remember to breathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHenpGhCVA