30 Day Logging/Limiting Added Sugar Challenge

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    @threewins how are you doing?
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I've been at this for a year, limiting added sugars. What strategies do you have to combat sugar cravings. I have some but I'm watching my glucose regulation like a hawk. Our mileage will always vary.

11-7
    8 gms

Hi @Diatonic12 - I try to keep total sugar intake to a minimum. I can’t remember the last time I added sugar to anything. Seems the biggest culprit in my diet is 1 leftover bottle of thousand island dressing!

If I really am trying to avoid more sugar.. i May have a cup of mint tea or eat a couple frozen berries. My fav sweet treats are dragonfruit and berries. 1 medium Dragonfruit has 3 grams fiber and 6 grams sugar...so I’ll eat those instead of say grapes. I sometimes will use a dark cocoa powder in my coffee or a wafer of cocoa butter...love the taste.

How do you feel about sweeteners like dried monkfruit ?
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    11/11 43g out of 30g guideline so 13g over

43g in a slice of lemon cake. Not too worried as been under the last few days #balance
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited November 2019
    I've been at this for a year, limiting added sugars. What strategies do you have to combat sugar cravings. I have some but I'm watching my glucose regulation like a hawk. Our mileage will always vary.

11-7
    8 gms

Hi @Diatonic12 - I try to keep total sugar intake to a minimum. I can’t remember the last time I added sugar to anything. Seems the biggest culprit in my diet is 1 leftover bottle of thousand island dressing!

If I really am trying to avoid more sugar.. i May have a cup of mint tea or eat a couple frozen berries. My fav sweet treats are dragonfruit and berries. 1 medium Dragonfruit has 3 grams fiber and 6 grams sugar...so I’ll eat those instead of say grapes. I sometimes will use a dark cocoa powder in my coffee or a wafer of cocoa butter...love the taste.

How do you feel about sweeteners like dried monkfruit ?

I don't use any sweeteners. None.

11-10

17 gms
  • Diatonic12
    @Safari_Gal

There are various sugar and sweetener realities but I have to follow my own reality. I watch my glucose regulation like a hawk. My physician is from Italy and happens to live out here in the sagebrush for the beauty. He's given me the best advice I've ever had. Blunt, in your face, looks you directly in the eye but cares about my reality for the rest of my life. I don't look to the left or to the right or back over my shoulder. My eyes are fixed waaay into the future because my old sugar reality won't get me there.
  • Safari_Gal_
    9 total sugars for the day from vegetables and dairy. No added sugar. 🙌🏻

@Diatonic12 - awesome!! 💪🏻

• Diatonic12
    @Safari_Gal Right back at you! We are not all alike. One size does not fit all and our mileage will always vary. I support anyone who can eat fruit loops, donuts and poptarts for breakfast and gummy bears for lunch. I can't. It doesn't mean I wouldn't like to. After all, I used to eat like that. Sigh and alas, those days are over.
  • vivo1972
    11/11

16g of 30g free sugars in proteinworks shake
  • Diatonic12
    11-11

15 gms
  • Safari_Gal_
    So I was looking at dessert recipes for Thanksgiving today and checking out levels of sugar and such... I have my own and other family members dietary restrictions to contend with..

For some reason.. looking at sugar in teaspoon form made it more real for me... some pastries and holiday drinks i was looking at have 39 and over grams of sugar... that’s almost 10 teaspoons of sugar.

Guess I’ll bring vegetables or stick to fruit based desserts...

0ti0y10kgebs.jpeg
  • Diatonic12
    edited November 2019
    There's always another holiday coming around the corner. We have one every single month of the year, along with the birthdays, weddings, football games and workplace celebrations. They are endless.

@Safari_Gal Do want to make your desserts with sweeteners. That can change the outcome of your favorite recipes. You could bring both, your dessert dish and the fruit salad/vegetable combo. We had an enormous Thanksgiving Dinner back in October. We had the whole works. Turkey, mashed and sweet potatoes, homemade rolls, green beans, corn (all of the vegetables out of the garden), fruit salads and green salads, homemade coconut custard, pumpkin, berry and pecan pies. Relish trays and drinks. It was probably one of the nicest Thanksgiving dinners that will go down in history as memorable. All of the family and relatives were together in one place. The older homefolks carried the heavy load and did most of the cooking. The younger ones marveled and we didn't allow any texting or phones at the table. Kids were going through withdrawal but I have a favorite aunt who would slap those things to the ground if they came to her table with a phone. She's absolutely grossed out with thumbs that are constantly moving. She's a strong woman who's been through everything and commands respect.

When it was over, I bawled my head off. Not because of the food because I know why she did it. She wants us to have something to remember her by. Holidays and family celebrations are precious because we don't know when they'll be another one with the same people. We can take nothing for granted. Make all of those dishes and give them a choice. Come back and give us a full report, dear heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9NDJv8x1Ng&list=OLAK5uy_nySWq9q2fY78tntrM0SnmXjxJF2G7lvAs&index=51&t=0s&pbjreload=10
  • vivo1972
    12/11

5g of 30g free sugars in Options hot chocolate
  • Diatonic12
    11-12

12 gms
  • vivo1972
    13/11

33g out of 30g

From ProteinShake x 3 and chocolate sprinkles
  • Safari_Gal_
    11.12- 12 total grams sugar. 🌶🥬🍄

11.14 - 14 total grams sugar. I feasted on a bunch of greens, rainbow chard, decadent orange bell peppers and purple onion in a salmon salad.. It was pretty with all the colors. ☺️

• Safari_Gal_
    There's always another holiday coming around the corner. We have one every single month of the year, along with the birthdays, weddings, football games and workplace celebrations. They are endless.

@Safari_Gal Do want to make your desserts with sweeteners. That can change the outcome of your favorite recipes. You could bring both, your dessert dish and the fruit salad/vegetable combo. We had an enormous Thanksgiving Dinner back in October. We had the whole works. Turkey, mashed and sweet potatoes, homemade rolls, green beans, corn (all of the vegetables out of the garden), fruit salads and green salads, homemade coconut custard, pumpkin, berry and pecan pies. Relish trays and drinks. It was probably one of the nicest Thanksgiving dinners that will go down in history as memorable. All of the family and relatives were together in one place. The older homefolks carried the heavy load and did most of the cooking. The younger ones marveled and we didn't allow any texting or phones at the table. Kids were going through withdrawal but I have a favorite aunt who would slap those things to the ground if they came to her table with a phone. She's absolutely grossed out with thumbs that are constantly moving. She's a strong woman who's been through everything and commands respect.

When it was over, I bawled my head off. Not because of the food because I know why she did it. She wants us to have something to remember her by. Holidays and family celebrations are precious because we don't know when they'll be another one with the same people. We can take nothing for granted. Make all of those dishes and give them a choice. Come back and give us a full report, dear heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9NDJv8x1Ng&list=OLAK5uy_nySWq9q2fY78tntrM0SnmXjxJF2G7lvAs&index=51&t=0s&pbjreload=10

@diatonic12 - Wow what a beautiful Thanksgiving! How amazing to have your Aunt and family around you.. such a wonderful memory indeed.
    It’s true - these moments are precious.

That’s a 💫fab idea to make a few and give everyone a choice. Im going to go with that! Thanks!
    I’m going to do a dragonfruit, starfruit and jackfruit trifle...and make a low sugar pumpkin pie.

I found a recipe from the Tudor era for an old world mincemeat pie... sweetened with dates, brandy and raisins. I’ll leave the sugar out. 😉
    Mincemeat pie- you either love it or hate it lol - the original has lamb and fruit in it. I guess my husband will always eat it. 😇

Hope you are enjoying those mountain vistas! Cold here in NYC but no snow. Eh. Send some my way!

• Diatonic12
    edited November 2019
    @Safari_Gal I like all of your ideas. I'd prefer the dates, brandy and raisin pie. I'm not a lamb and fruit kind of person but it's traditional. We've already had record lows in October and November is headed the same way. It does thin out the herd. The pesky tourists head for home and the rest of us can breathe a sigh of relief. ;)
    Winter brings us peace.

I used to have a roommate from Kentucky and their family would send dark chocolate bourbon pecan pies. When they weren't looking, I would whittle myself a small piece until it was all gone. I dream about those pies at Thanksgiving. I've tried to replicate it but those folks were gifted. They would send them in individual wood boxes with a sliding lid and I've saved all of those boxes. This was a male roommate and we shared a house. His mama would come out from Kentucky and we had a big time. She was called Mama G and Mama G tried to teach me how to cook but the woman was a master chef. His friends would blow in and they would dig a huge hole in the backyard and put the coals in the ground and roast all kinds of things. It was wild and there was Kentucky bourbon and bluegrass music, people sleeping in the yard. Those were great days.

Good food fixes everything.

So tell all. Let us know how your dinner and recipes turn out.

http://auntiechatter.com/recipes/sweets-and-nuts/pies-pastries-and-cobblers/bourbon-pecan-pie-dark-chocolate/

Pecan-pie.jpeg
  • Diatonic12
    11-13

8 gms
  • Diatonic12
    11-14

2 gms
  • Diatonic12
    11-15