Women 200lb+, Let's Make No Excuses This November!!!

Options

Replies

• speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @mmdeveau,
    I think you are spot on about daily weighing and your observations about weight fluctuations. True confessions here: I have two scales. One of them is a traditional scale, the other a wifi enabled body composition scale that automatically posted to MFP whether I want it to or not. I like to weigh myself daily just to see how things are progressing, but I didn't like how my wifi scale will post that I lost 2 pounds when actually it was a net wash because I had gained 2 pounds the day before. I was getting all these "congratulations" in my feed, and felt compelled to explain it wasn't really a loss. So I weigh daily on the traditional scale and at least once a week on the wifi scale. And Saturdays are definitely the best weigh in day of the week because I get the most sleep on Friday nights.

I did lose weight this week, but I don't think I'm going to hit a 10 pound loss I was hoping for. I'm thinking that shooting for a 10 lb loss/month is unrealistic now that I've lost the majority of my starting weight. Next month, I'll set more realistic goals.

SW: 286.5 (June 3, 2019)
    Nov SW: 232.1
    11/3/19: 231.5
    11/9/18: 226.3
    11/16/19: 226.3
    11/24/18: 224.6
    GW: 180
    7.5 pounds lost month to date
    57% to my final goal weight
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I am almost done reading all the great posts I missed this week. I will go and finish after posting. 4 posts since I started reading!

@speyerj such consistent progress!

@HurleyHurley Congrats at hitting a milestone. You are working hard for this progress. I bounce back up before going farther down too but this time you managed to keep it down. Wow. Hope your headache is better.

@Tarzan nice news

@mmdeveau treadmills scare me a bit. Good job persevering despite the weather. You are seeing the evidence of your hard work. I did the Couch to 5K too and fell in love with running too. But when I threw my knee out and they said it was due to arthritis and was told not to run. I keep hearing how beneficial it can be. I want to find a way back to it. A padded running surface would work. I didn’t even run the whole way. I did interval running. I also think aquafit is a good core workout. When you move your arms and legs in the water you would normally move but in aquafit you have to learn to not move into the other people in the class. It is you core that keeps you in place and of course there are many specific exercise that address core muscles. I totally identify with your crowded train story. I didn’t know how to address the problem back then and made mistakes. I wish I knew then what I do now. Keep up the good work and eventually you will see progress even at the last and hardest place for you. It was when I was losing weight, doing interval running and aquafit that I lost inches in my stomach.

@amlundie I got a new scale a while back that weighed me more than the last one. It was a bit disillusioning but I felt it was more reliable. It turned out that it was weighing me a pound high so I just take one off when I record my weight. But it doesn’t matter really it is all relative. I had a love hate relationship with it at first but now I am used to it.

@JMNagain and @ GroverBlue78 This is just what I am about to post. I agree with @torihudson we can get past this.

@torihudson way to pull out of a hard time.

@aliciap0116 I think you have a good point about plateaus. I often find that a higher calorie day will be right before a loss as long as I am generally keeping with the plan. Good fat is important to weight loss (nuts, avocado, salmon, olive oil etc.)

@mhudson0328 This story sounds familiar to me. I lost when I wasn’t able to work due to the economy and now with working fulltime I gained it back. So I am working to learn how to fit exercise in to my work schedule and ajdjust my calories

@mmccloy12 I find I lose better when I am getting enough sleep so don’t feel bad for getting sleep you obviously need. I too lose slowly and gain quickly. Have a great trip.
    @Terytha sorry about the migraine. We get a huge box of chocolates every Christmas from a consultant. Hmmm

@Stacivogue good for you working through the challenges and finding a way to turn things around.

@Raptor_Romantic I find small steps work the best. That is what I do aquafit 3 times a week.

@gruiz21 you were right about SW (starting weight). I have arthritis in my knees too.

@shorepine I find weighing daily helps me too. It has been shown to help in studies from what I remember as well.

@stepinup Glad you are deciding to stop the weight regain now. That is progress.

@shardust you are right that starting is the hardest part. Sometimes when my body knows that I have made the step that commits me to going to the gym or walking etc. it seems to give me a tiny spot of joy. Sort of the way a dog will be excited when he knows you are taking him for a walk. It is barely noticeable and it happens only when there isn’t much chance of backing out.

@Candyn617 I find myself skipping others replies to others thinking they are just for that person but I realize I am missing so much. There are some real gems in what we say to each other and I am going back and reading the ones I missed.

@gwensgrannie This! Eating healthy foods at home is the biggest factor to me in losing weight. It isn’t easy either especially when working fulltime and trying to fit in exercise. One of my favorite tweeks is making some of the higher carb meals and substituting in cauliflower for half the potatoes or pasta. It seems to take on the properties of the carb and you can’t tell the difference between it and them.

@bluffgirl67 this is what I mean about the gems found in our relies to others – love the at home exercise tips. Good progress on the weight loss too.

@amkita congrats on the 50lb loss!

After a great week before, I had a very challenging week. We found out the Y we go to on Monday and Wednesday after work was closing for 2 weeks until the new one opens. I also saw the draft class schedule and the classes are not at the same time. I have had a problem with a co-worker who I had to confront with unprofessional behavior. So instead of Aquafit Monday my husband and I went to a brewery restaurants while waiting to pick up our youngest from their night class. We talked ate and drank instead of exercising. It did help me to get prepared for the week in dealing with this work problem. I didn't weigh or log as much. I did gain but with being better on track this weekend I am back to my most recent low or .2 lbs of it. We went to our Saturday class anyway. My husband just set up a glider in our living room. We have a small house and we can put it up when guest come over. My youngest had a friend over last night and we had a healthy salmon dinner at home and they studied and had fun the rest of the time.

Next week we will go to another Y near the University and although no class we can do our own thing in the pool there. Just now thinking about the meals for the coming week. I am concentrating on sleep, water, exercise and staying within my calorie goals.

As to Thanksgiving - I found that the Y unlike last year is open on the morning of Thanksgiving and since we are going to my brothers and aren't cooking the Turkey we can go to an aquafit class. When I first was on MFP and was losing I realized I wasn't going to be too strict with family gatherings beyond watching portions and not going overboard. A few higher calorie days tells your body that it isn't starving and doesn't need to lower its metabolism. Feeling deprived doesn't work for me. Also my family is pretty health conscious so although I am not in charge of the whole meal it should be fine. One thing I am grateful for is finding this group!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    @sharpdust we didn’t have potlucks at work. We had a Thanksgiving dinner this Friday. There were so many carbs and desserts. I love stuffing! I just had 1 plate of food and a small piece of pumpkin pie. We had a Halloween lunch and will have a Christmas brunch. I work for a Tribe and they are very generous.

@shorepine great loss. What a great Christmas present. Our cat adopted us.

daily weighing
    @mmdeveau
    I am a daily weigher and I too fluctuate a lot. I also see it as data. When I lose it is like going down from the Crest of a mountain range with ups and downs but with a trend that is going down. When I am gaining it doesn’t fluctuate as much but there are still ups and downs with the ups higher and the lows higher too. I too lose more on the weekends which I connect to a few things:
    1. Sleeping in and not eating until after Aquafit on Saturday so that I have my only day with a longer fast before break fast.
    2. We eat a very good breakfast and I tend to eat only 2 meals with a snack or 2.
    3. There is more time for exercise and making better meals at home.

@speyerj I do something similar to what you do with your 2 scales for the same reason as you do. I post on MFP only net losses (and occasionally net gains if I think they are true. Usually when I do this I lose immediately). However I tract daily weight on a spreadsheet and more recently on a phone app meant just for posting weight.

Okay I am caught up now.
  • bdbjswbrb
    bdbjswbrb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @mmdeveau Congrats on your loss this week. Great post about daily weighing.

@stefsc1 You and I have opposite low weigh in days. I weigh everyday, but my lowest is almost always Friday morning and my highest is always on Monday. No coincidence that I have a completely sedentary desk job!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Dudes at the gym are starting to freak me out and I can't tell if its because they're weird or if its my anxiety spiraling.

I usually take a bench that's kinda near-ish but not that close to the barbell racks, and then the floor beside it, because it's in a corner and I feel more isolated and comfortable. Lately dudes just come up to the tracks, grab a barbell and start doing whatever exercise right beside me while I'm trying to do glute bridges or burpees or something. They do this even when the gym is nearly empty.

Is there some unspoken rule that they can't take the bar somewhere else, even like a foot away? Why do they have to stand like six inches away from me and hover while I'm trying to do rows or whatever. Its starting to make me self conscious and not want to do half my routine.
  • aliciap0116
    aliciap0116 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    So many amazing posts! I am learning so much from all of you. Every time someone posts about an obstacle and how they overcame it, or a question, I become better equipped. I'm so happy we are all on this journey together.

Welcome @melissan84 and @pamiede!! Glad you found us.

@Terytha, I think it's common courtesy for them to give people space. The older I get, the more comfortable I have become speaking up in a friendly and non-confrontational way. I would just say, "Hey, would you mind giving me some space?" You'll be able to tell from their reaction and what they do going forward if there's an issue and what the next step is. Most likely, your are working out so regularly they think you are are hard core chick and can treat you like one of the guys. ;) You could also build a little buffer around yourself with an extra sweatshirt, water bottle, and towel. Either way, do stick up for yourself and hold your ground. You have earned your real estate at the gym!