Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,124 Member
    vkrenz wrote: »
    Favorite sport? Is mowing the lawn and keeping up with the outside flowers and foliage a sport? I just love it when my yard is freshly cut, it looks so nice. I push mow it and we have a fairly big yard for living in town. It takes me 45 minutes non stop to mow, then another hour to weed eat. I get boxed in the winter with nothing to do outside.
    Vicki, southern WI

:) That sounds like a great way to stay active. In the spring and summer here, I try to work in my yard for about an hour every day. We have a small yard so what I do is fun rather than endless demanding chores but I love being outside and digging in the dirt and moving the rocks around. I was in charge of mowing at a different house and I loved the sense of order that mowing created. A lot of what I do in my yard now encourages stretching and flexibility. It is rainy here now, so no yard work but I walk every day.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,742 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've noticed a few ladies mentioning hiking so I wondered ...
    What is your favourite sport/exercise (or maybe top 3 if you've got a few)?
    :)
    Machka in Oz
    • Dancing
    • Walking
    • Yoga
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 966 Member
    Favorite sport/activity: I don't have any. I don't really get enjoyment from being active, I just like the results. I like kayaking, but don't ever do it. I like hiking, but rarely get out there anymore. I used to like running, but have lost the desire. I like walking sometimes, but mostly I just do things because it's healthy.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,178 Member
    :/
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,567 Member
    edited November 2019
    Happy Sunday!

Terri - wonderful poem. Wish I lived closer; I'd take your creative writing class. <3

Lisa - I love to read about all outdoor chores and "home improvement". So nice to have some acreage and see the ongoing progress.

Barbara AHMOD - good thing you spotted Shadow's incision problem and got her seen by the vet quickly.

Heather - neat mention (and photo) of you and John at Swing Class <3

I just finished watching a British mystery series on Amazon Prime called "The Bay". Wow, very good. Wonder if there will be a season 2?

seregogel0724 - good job getting in shape after retirement! Love that photo of you and your Great Dane. Before I retired, I had a "sit down" job but easily walked from 6,000 to 8,000 steps a day. Up to copy machine, back to the files, up to the counter, jaunts all over the building. My DH is not active at all (RA & other health issues) so it's been a challenge to get steps in at times. Keep up the good work.

Carol - your new kitchen gadget sounds great. Nice to get something you can use on a regular basis. That reminds me, I need to pull the IP off the shelf and check out recipes. I think I'm ready to get rid of my Kitchenaid. Haven't used it in 3 years. I have some friends who might like it.

OK ladies, have a super day!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • sh0tzz99
    Question for you all. Are any of you or do any of you know avid readers who are dyslexic? I ask because my niece is dyslexic and likes to read, but is being discouraged from being a "reader," because she reads slowly and it's "hard." I don't want her to think that just because of these things, she can't be a reader. But, if it's truly not likely to happen, I'd like to know that. I just don't want to believe it.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,040 Member
    /////
  • barbiecat
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Question for you all. Are any of you or do any of you know avid readers who are dyslexic? I ask because my niece is dyslexic and likes to read, but is being discouraged from being a "reader," because she reads slowly and it's "hard." I don't want her to think that just because of these things, she can't be a reader. But, if it's truly not likely to happen, I'd like to know that. I just don't want to believe it.

:) I don't think anyone should be discouraged from doing anything they like. Just because it's a struggle, doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. Taking on challenges is one of the ways we get stronger.

<3 Barbie
  • sh0tzz99
    Anyone know what this means? "You need the Vanilla.Comments.Edit permission to do that." I get this if I try to edit my post.

Tina in CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,588 Member
    Went for my run by the sea in the beautiful sunshine. B) Lots of people promenading on a Sunday afternoon. DH turned around when I did because his back has been bothering him, especially at night. Sacro iliac? He has the most terrible posture, but has always done so much exercise he has been able to compensate. Now it's catching up with him. He does do exercises from the internet a few times a week. He is not used to having physical problems. Of course, he won't go for help as he thinks there is no point and he has read all about it. He is mostly ok while he keeps moving around, but it really bothers him at night.

Bananas - Bone health in women has a lot to do with oestrogen. After the menopause oestrogen is mainly obtained from fat stores. However, the damage is usually done earlier in life. The women I know who have had unnecessary fractures have been long term dieters, low calcium eaters and often high alcohol imbibers. Weak bones is the highest cause of disability as we age. Along with low core strength. You are still relatively young.
    Luckily, I have heredity on my side as my mother had strong bones and I have stronger than average bones. DH 's aunt was a thin bird and very, very humped. She has recently had her second broken hip.
    Stressing the bones through impact, weight bearing s exercises and weight training is the best thing you can do for yourself, along with keeping a healthy, not too low, weight.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Anyone know what this means? "You need the Vanilla.Comments.Edit permission to do that." I get this if I try to edit my post.

Tina in CA

:) I don't know what that means, but have you tried closing down MFP and restarting your computer (or phone) and then trying again?
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    B)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,692 Member
    Hi Gals,

Tina that’s weird! I’m no help 😊

Katla – glad to hear you are doing better. Happy your visits with family went well. I know you miss them so much.

Tina– anyone who is willing and interested in learning something should! My god-daughter’s last boyfriend was severely dyslexic and an active member in a book club that meets every other month as each month would be to hard for him. He would also use audio books in school very often.

Kim from N. California
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,978 Member
    well going to take some tylenol, but bed together and made. and Trudy and I took a toodle to Costco.. wont do that on a Sunday afternoon again, holy tons of people, I was starting to hyperventilate I am not great in crowds, wont do that again...
    Home and in Jammies , tomorrow morning off to kidney Dr then work..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,040 Member
    stats for the day:

stairclimber- 20min, 1250steps, 78floors, lvl5-10, 124ahr, 141mhr= 192c
    Apple Watch- 174c
    ski machine- 20min, 12incline, 25resist, 127ahr, 154mhr, .88mi= 201c
    Apple Watch- 171c
    arm/chinup assist and floor exercises- 10.28min, 55#assist,137ahr, 152mhr, 3sts of 10 ea, + 3 diff exerc= 131c
    Apple Watch- 110c
    floor exercises-8.30min, 103ahr, 113mhr, 3sets of 10ea, 3 diff exer= 53c
    Apple Watch- 50c

total cal 577
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Shottz99 - Diagnosed a friends son with Numbers Dyslexia back in the day was a small town when the school gave your kid a bad rap I came in told the problem tutored wrote school a note. (1 kid was an abusive father she was mad at the world- Mom took advice kicked Abuser out who gambling addiction took rent money left mommy with bruised eyes Y school let her go to next 1st grade instead of holding her back she graduated valedictorian )(Another tutored noticed he would look around the room seemed nervous 😟 or bored 😐 expressions so asked him point to number 1 .He pointed at the clock on the wall.point to 5 he pointed at the floor. Okay not an English/Spanish mix up found the numbers jumped off the page for him floated on the air the most extreme dyslexic. He took classes at school did not repeat the grade y graduated but has girlfriend do his checkbook to jobs without numbers.He still struggling) .Daughter Bio- Abuser parent estranged after court was reading dyslexic he read slow only things he liked found tricks on his own family pulled him out of school in around 5th grade decided he was dumb he’s in his 60’s now. I read up on it after that that’s how I helped math kid.

Reading Dyslexia - 1.Electronic games on cell phones to computer help a lot due to pictures ones for younger kids are not just words their useful. 2. Put subtitles on the TV y movies 3. Books with pictures especially topics of interest!!! 4. Kids books don’t toss them less words per page got some that are educational don’t look babyish. 5.School specially al classes to teach dyslexic kids it helps a lot they know tips y tricks. 5. Get teachers on board with issue y school librarian. 6. Flash cards 7. Create a fun reading space Teepee ⛺️ pillows blankets bowl of snacks fun books y comic books!!! Stacked .calms so less nerves mom or you can sit in big teepee with them (make a fort if need be string y blankets or Walmart.com 5ft teepees). 8. Read with trusted family members go slow don’t put them on the spot nerves exhasperate it! Read take turns giggling laughing mispronounce a few words even go oops 😬 I mean (okay to make mistakes example). Fear of mistakes y persecution for it or being made fun of is their fear real or not it’s there it creates performance anxiety. 9. Look up on YouTube to news Actors with dyslexia theirs actually a bunch of them a few are coming out about it. Sometimes a hero just like them is a must.
    10. Write words in messy stuff (crayola new gel boards),play doh,slime,shaving cream,etc etc 11.spell words out loud singing dancing being fun the spelling sticks helps them when they mess up 12. AUDIO Books to online books YouTube video of books being read out loud 13. Go to stores or ice cream parlor have them read a label or two give a treat as a reward
    amber Tx
  • sh0tzz99
    Amber and all- Thank you so much for your replies about my dyslexic niece. I think everyone in her life should be encouraging her to read and always be positive. I don’t know who’s telling her she’s a bad reader, but I have listened to her and read with her and she is definitely NOT a bad reader. She just takes a bit more time. Right after I listened to her read with her tutor, she told me she’s a bad reader. I tried to encourage her, but someone in her life is holding her back. She lives 1600 miles away from me, so I cannot be there much. When I am, I always encourage her. She is home schooled now with a private tutor for reading who specializes in teaching dyslexic kids. I was just concerned that I was being dumb about it and should not encourage her if it just wasn’t reasonable.

Thank you all.

Tina in CA