Women 200lb+, Let's Double Down This December!!!

Options

Replies

• aliciap0116
    aliciap0116 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    @Aerohead21 i hear your on boredom as a trigger! And I love your new profile pic! Congrats on two weeks!!
  • gelatinouscube
    gelatinouscube Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Some of you may be able to provide advice (or anecdotes) - I'm just starting out by reducing and counting calories but do plan on adding exercise once I've maintained this habit for a few months.

However, I've been pretty darn inactive for years and am not sure a good place to start- something doable at home would be good but I'm not entirely sure what. Mornings are yeah nah, and Australia is currently cooking so outside could be rough.

Where/how did you all start that part of your journey?
  • aliciap0116
    aliciap0116 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    @gelatinouscube your call name makes me laugh but I also hesitate to call you that!

Anyhow! I met with a trainer for a freebie session when I first started and he commented that it takes very little effort to get your heart rate into a good zone when you are larger and first starting out. So he would prefer me to do moderate intensity cardio for longer, with bursts of higher intensity. Which is nice because I'm not in the physical shape to go for a run.

I have a fitness tracker that measures heart rate and you can look up what yours is: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise-intensity/art-20046887 or https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/fitness/fitness-basics/target-heart-rates

If you don't have a fitness tracker and are worried about the cost, you can get a used one on Ebay or Poshmark for a reasonable price.

This has translated into a brisk walk (outside or on a treadmill, with a 5% incline) or exercise bike for me, which feels very doable.

I have also meant to incorporate strength training but, as that is an unaccomplished goal for me, I will let someone else provide you that advice!
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options
    @gelatinouscube I started with walking and it is still my main form of exercise. I also find walking very therapeutic. But I guess it is too hot for that right now. I have been trying to add some workout videos. You can find all kinds on YouTube. Just search for beginner cardio. I have been trying different ones trying to find the right fit.
  • Tarzan37
    Tarzan37 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, @lindaporter2018!