December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I did a 2 mile walk today as my walk/XT day. It was good to get out on this unusually nice December day.

exercise.png

On the Third Day of Christmas,
    my workout let me see,
    three red leaves,
    two lumbering cows and
    a squirrel high up in a pine tree.

I was reading my Military Officers Association of America magazine today. It had an article about how 4 members maintain their drive to exercise. I had to laugh a little at the one guy. He's a body builder and has done some adventure races. Hes 39 years old and ends his section by saying "I'm always trying my best to set an example so young Marines know age is only a number." Somehow, I feel at 39 he has NO idea what that means yet. LOL But, I did like his final thought: "Age doesn't have to slow you down, but excuses always will." Now, I do feel there is a point where age will slow us all down, but I still like the sentiment.

I like "age doesn't have to slow us down, but excuses will..." My husband is 39 and a veteran. Two long deployments to Iraq (last one 14 1/2 months) and one in the horn of Africa for a year to train men to fight, how to defend themselves. Oh ma ma, you could have bounced a nickel off of his abs back then. Not an ounce of flab, perfection if muscles are your thing. Some keep the mindset and others probably are happy to dump it.

I hope I'm rocking into my 90's. I hope...
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    2 mile run yesterday - bit wheezy. Cough today and bit of a sore chest. Was planning to join friends for a 5k to round of a year of fundraising but I'll see how it feels.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Oh one more thing about today! I wore the new lulu lemon bra and i still LOVE it for the comfort and support but it was SOAKED by the time I finished. So maybe not enough moisture wicking ability??? Any ideas on a different/ better brand? Or will I just have to get used to being drenched in sweat as my runs get progressively longer and more difficult?
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 Hey, I love your determination! You can do this! Determination is huge in running and you need to be physically fit but believing in yourself is half the battle, just knowing that you can do it!

I'm going out phone in stroller and baby in it with orders for husband to answer the phone if it rains because we'll need a pickup. Second run of the day!

Funny, true story: I've mentioned before that my father in law has run hundreds of marathons, even a few double marathons over his lifetime. My sister in law runs marathons. My brother in law has run three marathons. He knows from his dad what it takes to run a marathon. In February he'll run his fourth, with me. I ran with him over the summer when we were all together; he quit long before I did on the run. My husband was talking to him on Christmas and he told my husband that Christmas Eve was the first time he'd run in months. But what's funny is that my husband said this is what his brother does before each marathon. I was also informed that he drinks beer the last two miles. Could this even be true!? So I could draw two conclusions from this: 1) He has great confidence in himself, even with a lack of training. 2) Attitude and the reason you are running is what matters (correct me if I'm wrong).

All that I am saying is that attitude and humor may, and I stress "may," go a long way.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @Camaramandy648 Hey, I love your determination! You can do this! Determination is huge in running and you need to be physically fit but believing in yourself is half the battle, just knowing that you can do it!

I'm going out phone in stroller and baby in it with orders for husband to answer the phone if it rains because we'll need a pickup. Second run of the day!

Funny, true story: I've mentioned before that my father in law has run hundreds of marathons, even a few double marathons over his lifetime. My sister in law runs marathons. My brother in law has run three marathons. He knows from his dad what it takes to run a marathon. In February he'll run his fourth, with me. I ran with him over the summer when we were all together; he quit long before I did on the run. My husband was talking to him on Christmas and he told my husband that Christmas Eve was the first time he'd run in months. But what's funny is that my husband said this is what his brother does before each marathon. I was also informed that he drinks beer the last two miles. Could this even be true!? So I could draw two conclusions from this: 1) He has great confidence in himself, even with a lack of training. 2) Attitude and the reason you are running is what matters (correct me if I'm wrong).

All that I am saying is that attitude and humor may, and I stress "may," go a long way.

Yes! Today on the trail, I had to keep telling
    myself, “You are doing this because you WANT to!”

I keep trying to figure out what my problem has been the past couple of weeks but I think primarily it is my head. Sure, a few thing have not gone quite right and I am still learning what works for me, but I don’t have a good reason to be stopping just a few minutes in and then two hours later successfully run nonstop on a treadmill for thirty minutes while still feeling like I have more to give. I have to get over the mental barrier of that trail! Because throughout my weeknight runs I have run outside mostly just fine. This doesn’t make any sense!!!!

Tomorrow I’ll run an easy, shorter run so I can get over 30 miles in seven days. Maybe I’ll even feel more confident about the 5k nonstop and just do that again. Plus it’d get me over the mental barrier :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 if there’s a high impact bra which doesn’t get sopping wet on a hard, sweaty long run, I haven’t found it yet. I like the Brooks Juno but it is usually soaking and feels awful by the end of a run. I feel like even with tech fabrics, wearing a shirt over it is going to prevent sweat from evaporating.