WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Thinking randomly about possibly goals for 2020 ...

I am hoping to get into a bit more running in 2020 ... especially if they fix my nose and I can breathe!! I would like to get back into running 5Ks at least ... maybe more ...
    https://www.runningcalendar.com.au/

I'm mostly a cyclist, but there are a couple things that appeal about running:

- I can run at lunch. I could cycle them too, but it would take half my lunch break to get ready and get out there what with all the kit and unlocking the bicycle and getting past all the pedestrian and vehicle traffic to where I could ride. With running, it's a quick change into tights, tank top, and running shoes and I'm out the door.

- Running, even just 3 times a week, seems to help keep my weight steady if not dropping slightly. That's in combination with other exercise on the other days too, but adding running seems to be effective.

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    Pam - welcome. And welcome everyone else new.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie, well its been since April for both of them as well. Patrick Athenas Daddy, and middle brother, sent his Navy younger brother a kind of stern message on Messenger, about "hey I had a kid, thought you would've contacted me about that". Brothers are both as frustrated as we are.
    💖Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    🎄❤️🎄
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Tracey, so nice to hear from you! I know about husband's and their health/reluctance to seek medical attention. It took a heart attack (at age 56!) for my husband to give some serious thought to his health. And even then he hasn't made many concessions, but it did get him to quit smoking, so that's something!
    Liked the health/diet post, about how it's more adopting a healthy lifestyle as opposed to going on a diet. I read somewhere that "going on a diet" implies that you'll be going OFF the diet as well. I really need to wrap my head around that more thoroughly! I am trying to gear myself in that direction. On that note, I must get to bed as I have every intention of getting to the gym in the morning - there are no excuses!! lol
    Congrats to those celebrating, hugs for those needing them and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather Do you drive? I'm sure you are aware that people who need to be in control do far better behind the wheel than in the passenger seat, which makes me wonder why you aren't the main driver of the car. My ex-husband was always very anxious when I drove. I am an excellent driver (so is he). He just needed to be in control. I actually prefer to be the passenger unless the driver is distracted or dangerous. Then I tell them to pull over & let me drive. :D

Barbara Do you know that at least 3 of us suggested that name for the python before my son asked why everyone was suggesting Monty? I asked him if he'd had a stroke & needed to be taken to the hospital, which made my daughter-in-law laugh uproariously. Finally my grandson, 11 at the time, clued him in & the snake was named.

Tracy Wow, your husband is lucky he stumbled into some medical care. Sounds as if he might have metabolic syndrome & maybe fatty liver? He'll live a lot longer & healthier if he takes all of this stuff seriously. It's probably part of the reason his dental health deteriorated in the first place. (((Hugs)))

Karen in Virginia
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies
    Had a very lazy day yesterday, I just gave in and rested, felt terrible with this darn cold. DS now has it, he has also developed a nasty cough, (he's taken to his bed today) lol, I'm feeling a little better today, but still ache all over.

Tracey, what is it with men not taking care of themselves? All you can do is look after yourself and keep supporting your hubby on his good choices.

Heather I am also a nervous passenger (but I don't drive) I thought it was just me expecting the worst, I worry about other drivers crashing into us, I worry about cars stopping in front of us - as soon as I see a brake light I'm saying slow down. DS and DD get quite cross with me but I can't help it. I wish I could sit back and relax but I can't. It's even worse when it is someone I don't know driving me (I can't tell them to slow down lol) I sit and think I'm going to die - I know very dramatic :) but it's how I feel.

Lots more I have read and wanted to reply to, but my mind has gone blank.

Think I need a cup of tea, I'm flagging.

Love to all
    Viv UK <3

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Meant to say love to Athena and hope she recovers soon, poor baby.

Viv UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,130 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: Sending love to Athena. Hope she I see better soon.

Also to others in extremis. Sending much love and healing prayers to those who need them. 💕💖💕
  • Machka9
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Thinking randomly about possibly goals for 2020 ...

I am hoping to get into a bit more running in 2020 ... especially if they fix my nose and I can breathe!! I would like to get back into running 5Ks at least ... maybe more ...
    https://www.runningcalendar.com.au/

I'm mostly a cyclist, but there are a couple things that appeal about running:

- I can run at lunch. I could cycle them too, but it would take half my lunch break to get ready and get out there what with all the kit and unlocking the bicycle and getting past all the pedestrian and vehicle traffic to where I could ride. With running, it's a quick change into tights, tank top, and running shoes and I'm out the door.

- Running, even just 3 times a week, seems to help keep my weight steady if not dropping slightly. That's in combination with other exercise on the other days too, but adding running seems to be effective.

Machka in Oz

Looking over 2019 goals ...
    To sum up ...

Half marathon in January ... Done!! :)

Gradually build up cycling distance ticking off milestone distances along the way. The goal behind this is to build a solid base for further long distances and events in 2020.
    50 km
    75 km
    100 km
    125 km
    160 km (100 miles)

Get back to climbing 20+ flights of stairs at least 4 days each week. I work in a 10-storey building, and can climb 10 flights in the morning, and 10 flights in the afternoon ... plus extras if I want.

Walk (or run or hike ... basically move by foot) more than last year.

These are my walking/running/hiking totals for the past few years ... so ... more than 1357.1 km in 2019 would be good.

2018 - 1357.1 km
    2017 - 1302.52 km
    2016 - 1133.02 km
    2015 - 1131.7 km

And build some upper body & core strength + improving flexibility.

I haven't been able to run since the half marathon.

I am cycling but not building up.

I am climbing stairs but not regularly.

I am walking ... quite a bit of walking. Right now I'm at 764.8 km for 2019 so I just need to walk about 170 km/month to make my goal by the end of the year. Might be a little bit of a stretch, but we'll see.

I am getting some upper body and core with pilates, rowing and some additional exercises.

I'm just starting to run again after nearly a year off.

I am cycling occasionally, but we still haven't done a 50 km ride.

I have been trying to climb more stairs and built up to about 15 flights on occasion.

I'm about 300 km behind last year, but have hit the 1000 km point!

Through a combination of pilates, rowing, and weights, I hope I'm improving the upper body and core strength, and perhaps my flexibility too.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    From a year ago ...
    q82tidlp7ns6.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    jjjjjjj