WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Insomnia has jumped on me like a duck on a June bug. Am hoping to go back to bed and get some sleep, but know better than to just lie in bed and let my mind whirl, so I'm up and in a warm robe, and drinking some tea, and talking to y'all.

Egg's losing her mind, and is trying to get in the linen closet. It's floor to ceiling, and when you let her in, she just climbs from one step to the next and then jumps down from the top shelf and hits the floor so hard, you can feel it in another room. No idea what she's looking for, and hope it's not a mouse. She's restless as she had a very boring day yesterday, due to the rain. Trying to get her to stop meowing so she doesn't wake Corey up.

Am gently bringing my time on the elliptical up one minute per day, trying not to get obsessive about the whole thing.

Have to be in town for a meeting at 10 a.m., back home after noon.

Going to go read, I doubt this computer screen is doing anything to help me get to sleep.

Later,
    Lisa in AR

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,207 Member
    Options
    Viv - (((HUGS))) for your family. Such a lot of stress for them. Make sure you have some fun. <3

Kylia - I don't really bother with ordinary birthdays. Just the ones with 0 on the end. I hate parties, so I ran away to my cruise last year. :D I was happy to have a little tea party and cake with the grandchildren, but my DDIL turned it into lunch and invited my elder son, so I had to put him up for a couple of nights and feed and entertain him just before I was going away. Grrrrrr! Not at all what I had in mind. Normally I just ask DH to cook dinner, or we go out for lunch and a stroll. The rare times when I have chosen to go out for posh dining I have got very nervous before hand, which isn't fun. Low key is much better.
    Nails and lunch sounds good! :D
    This year will be DH's 75th, so we might do something for that. A trip abroad?
    DDIL is having a cream tea at the Grand Hotel and a trip up the i360 for her 40th. That is the family bit. We have to pay for ourselves!!!! I'm not impressed by that. :# For her friends bit she is having an all girls overnight party at her house and my son and the children are coming to stay with us. Hmmm! Seems as if we are facilitating this celebration. Then my son asked us if we could have the kids while he and she went away for the night somewhere. Hmmm! Luckily the dates he suggested we were away on our cruise. Phew!
    For my 40th I had a huge party! Those were the days. :*
    I keep threatening to have a silly disco party with all my favourite silly tunes, like the chicken song and YMCA etc, but I don't have the money to make that easy on me. If I could hire a great place with great food etc, I would, but that is not possible. I could do it on the cheap, but I would stress over micromanaging it all and that is not fun at all! My idea of a good party these days is just turning up in a nice dress, not giving myself a lot of work! That's why I chose the cruise. Let the company take the strain!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Ginny and Barbie thank you for your comments re my upcoming MRI. It Put my mind at ease! I do tend to go straight to the scary place :s

Simple gratitude: DH being extra kind and attentive, he’s a sweetie <3

Now off to a productive day of work!

NYKAREN

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    I took one antihistamine after I got back from the Dr and started dozing off over my work. Finally I decided to go home a little bit early. I fell sound asleep in the bus but fortunately woke up just in time to get off.

When I got home, I took another antihistamine, and went to bed. I was only going to nap for an hour or so ... and then go for a walk. Instead, I was out like a light for 2.5 hours.

This antihistamine ... my Dr told me that they came in 10 mg and 25 mg but because I have a long record of being sensitive to medication and having bad reactions to medication, she recommended I get the 10 mg. She also told me that I could take up to 70 mg at a time ... but again, because of my medication history, I should start with 10 mg and see how that went. If I didn't feel overly fatigued and was still feeling pain and itching, I could go to 20 mg and so on.

I can't imagine taking 70 mg!! 10 mg is enough to put me right out. 70 mg would probably require a visit by the paramedics.

Anyway, the 10 mg is easing things a bit. Hopefully it'll start to heal now. I've got it all covered by bandaging at the suggestion of my Dr. so that I don't bump it or inadvertently scratch it.

Meanwhile ...

My university is discussing what to do about the coronavirus.

They're expecting roughly 4000 students from China, many of whom will be in my department.

I've enquired and the response I received was, "At the moment we encourage students to stay home until it is safe." ... but I don't know what that means. Are Chinese students to stay home? Are students who feel ill to stay home? Are all students to stay home?

Semester 1 doesn't start until Feb 24 so there is a bit of time ...

I'm trying to encourage them to change the courses to online rather than in-person. I've been trying to encourage them to go to online courses for years, and have been told "No", "No", "No", "No", "No". But finally I've had my most positive answer to that suggestion ... "we'll discuss it". I would be thrilled if this virus situation would be the trigger to changing the courses to online ... it would be a positive outcome from a bad situation.

And I've been thinking about something as we've been discussing the flu shot ...

I used to get sick about once every year or two in some way, but most of the time it hasn't lasted very long ... except for the years when I've worked with children.

Until I started going to this university. Since I've been going to this university, I get sick and stay sick for a long time. I didn't get sick the winter my husband was in hospital, but then I rarely attended the university. I was able to arrange things to do most of my work from home. But last year, I was back at the university again and I got sick right before getting the flu shot, and again a couple months after the flu shot.

This is another reason I really want to finish this degree this year. I want to stop attending university!!

And now, I'm trying to get a bit done this evening. I've got laundry on the go and plan to work on my Christmas decorations a bit.

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!

Viv UK- Prayers continuing. Your plate is full.

Mtruitt- Such a positive attitude. I really like the idea of clearing stuffs. I started in the attic several years ago. I had stuff I was saving for my girls. They didn't want it, so out it went. My husband is an organized pack rat. SMH. My mother is a hoarder. My sister has already stated that she is just re-donating everything back to the consignment store mom got it from. I have noticed less collecting of heirlooms by the upcoming generations. Even though I keep de-cluttering, there is still more to go. I like the thought of being able to fit in my car.

Barbara- Good to hear that over all things went well at doctor.

Healing thoughts to those not feeling well
    Congratulations to the good choices everyone is making daily
    Hugs to everyone just because they make me feel good 😎

<3
    Kylia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Happy Wednesday!
    VivUK- Sending hugs, thoughts and prayers for you and your family!
    Karen VA- ((( <3 ))) Lilliana! And those kittens were adorable! Glad they all found homes!
    Kylia- Although winter, it has been relatively clear the past few days; so roads have been great! (Michigan here) How about a little day trip somewhere for your birthday? A museum, an art exhibit, a pub crawl?
    Heather- I just can't get enough of hearing of your fun filled days, wonderful meals, and plans with the grands! Is this your DIL's 40th birthday (events) she is planning?
    Machka- Ugh! Mystery bug bites in your part of the world would send me into a tizzy of "What ifs?" !!
    BArbie- glad to hear Jake's appointment went well!
    Supertasters- Seeing you post the "signs" of a supertaster, I really think it is describing my husband. Nearly all foods he tries, he claims that they taste or smell like something, in my mind, really crazy (like sour, bitter, dirty, or "chemical-y") He uses sour to describe a great many things. He is also a cilantro hater ("tastes like soap").
    Yoghurt- I make my own (Greek-style) and I have found it to be not quite as sour as the store bought stuff. I eat it plain with pureed fruit added (smoothie style), I use it as a sour cream replacement on foods and in recipes, I make my own dressings with it (ranch and blue cheese), I use it in place of cream in soups...and I save about a pint of whey that gets strained out to use in baking.
    Been a busy month, here. New little guy is adjusting well to my daycare and is a pretty happy and easy going kid! I have been reading and keeping up with you all, but have been keeping my nose to the grindstone and focused on getting all of my licensing paperwork together, rating paperwork together, and staying focused on eating well, getting my exercise and not straying off that path even though I feel the "squeeze" of stress and time constraints. I am down nine pounds this month. By the time I weigh in (end of month) on Friday, it should be an even 10. I am very happy with that.
    Kids arriving soon, so I have to scoot! Love to all-hugs all around to those who need them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    busy day today..yesterday was a very dark day for me...i only went to take care of Homer and spent most of the day in bed.. i have an appointment with the dr at 9:30 today, then a hair appointment, then have to take my neighbor to the dentist, think i might have a UTI or bladder infection.. plus hopefully they can tweek my meds
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ladies! <3

Kylia - I'm like Barbie, don't like a big deal made about my birthday. I also am horrible at remembering other people's. I figure after 40, every day is a special occasion so why just celebrate one day per year? :D

Barbara AHMOD - the fact that your doc is waiting having you wait until June for your vascular testing is a good sign, nothing urgent. My DH went thru the testing over a year ago with blood pressure cuffs all over the place. Then ultra sound. They found a fairly severe groin blockage in the artery serving the left leg but the body being the healing machine that it is, other blood vessels grew around it to take up the slack. Pretty amazing. His main symptom was pain in his calves when he walked more than a few steps. The surgeon told him that's not bad, and keep walking thru the pain.

Barbie - good news on Jake. I was with you in spirit on the ferry! B)

NYKaren - sending good thoughts regarding your hand/finger numbness. Crossing fingers the MRI finds something that simple treatment can take care of.

Yesterday I resigned my new position as a Master Gardener demo garden manager. Even tho it really would have been minimal responsibility, I felt it would encroach on my "freedom".

I'm getting to the point that other than our cleaner coming every other Tuesday, I am throwing off the desire to HAVE to be anywhere or do anything on any day at any time. Finally shedding the last vestige of having to "be busy" beaten into my brain after all the years of working.

OK ladies, time to boogie.

Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Supertasters- Seeing you post the "signs" of a supertaster, I really think it is describing my husband. Nearly all foods he tries, he claims that they taste or smell like something, in my mind, really crazy (like sour, bitter, dirty, or "chemical-y") He uses sour to describe a great many things. He is also a cilantro hater ("tastes like soap").
    (Kelly)[/b]

I often use the word "sharp" to describe foods that aren't very good ... that are sour or chemical-y. My husband used to look at me like I had lost my marbles, but he got used to it. For example, a tomato-based sauce over pasta will likely be too "sharp" for me ... and I'll have to salt it like mad to tone down the "sharpness" so I can eat it.

Capsicum (especially green peppers) are a really "sharp", chemical, bitter thing. Not only do I not like eating them, I also don't like eating anything they've touched. Like if they're on a pizza, and they've touched the cheese, they are so strong they will have tainted the cheese.

And "dirty" ... have you ever had plain wild rice, not mixed with a domestic rice? That's a great description of "dirty" ... plain wild rice tastes like the whole swamp has been included!

On the positive side, it makes sticking to pretty much the same thing every day very easy. :)

Machka in Oz

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Cooking - I taught myself having a special needs mother I didn’t have the benefit of old recipes to watching her make things from scratch. I never learned how to apply makeup or do my hair so simple stuff lip balm (colored sometimes as a teen) with some glitter eye shadow for children. Always straight hair sometimes in a ponytail or with a easy to figure out hair clip on one side. We took classes at the Memtal Health and Retardation government run center together to teach her to cook y me to help her. Dad before that cooked it was grilled steak, hotdogs,fruit, baked beans from a can,y toast. Mom made cereal 🥣,Toast with butter,or easy stuff like TV dinners y pop tart. So growing up was not the most stomach disease friendly foods for me. She learned from cooking classes y us kids to make chili, Gravy, burnt pork chops, fried chicken with coating burnt falling off because she put it in too early lol,soup from a can. Stuff that was easy my BF y me taught her for hours. Dad gave me a public school then homeschool cooking classes on top of the government ones I got good at it.

I can only make restaurant ranch dressing from the Sysco packets of powder add ingredients shake y stir then refrigerate serve to customers. Homemade stuff like that y yogurts beyond my abilities still (Have tried many times finally mastered Jello! ) Funny cause I started cooking Duck 🦆 ala orange young for Christmas Dinner when Dad wanted it to made homemade salt pickles ... yet jello always came out watery lol. Finally Realizing the fast way it says on the box doesn’t work for me! Tried another way now easy to do. Mom learned to stick mandarin oranges in a can in her jello guess that be my next step lol. Funny cause I have worked in restaurants but since it’s mainly grilling to flat grills I find it easier than a regular kitchen stove! I have had to learn it all myself. Learned how to dress myself for my era too late but finally did it. I still wear bell bottoms tho lol just call them boot cut lol people accept that lol 😂.

Amber Tx

Bought some groceries online from Walmart.com again wish they were in-store!
    Gets tiring having to guess shoe sizes for JR online hope it’s right. Got my protein shake powder 2 of them.Of course a few more things to Hubby some night slippers hoping they fit.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    (Kelly)[/b]
    Capsicum (especially green peppers) are a really "sharp", chemical, bitter thing. Not only do I not like eating them, I also don't like eating anything they've touched. Like if they're on a pizza, and they've touched the cheese, they are so strong they will have tainted the cheese.
    Machka in Oz

Sisters under the skin! I've told my husband that any hint of green peppers makes me sick, and I swear he doesn't believe me, which is so frustrating, as he's the cook. If a dish has been cooked with even a small amount of green pepper in, that's literally all I can taste in the dish at all. He's learned over the years to leave most flavorings out of my food other than salt, as I simply won't eat them. :) He'll make two dishes that are flavored completely differently. Love that man.

Running on five and a half hours of sleep (did go back and get some zzzzs), and have to leave for town for that meeting in an hour, so I better hit the shower. Have to put makeup on as well, as one of my co-workers always asks me if I'm sick if I don't put it on.

Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Their is 4 types of Coronovirus not sure if this new one fits in the 4 previous categories or if it’s a new one that will need its own. Cold virus to phemonia is a type of coronovirus.

1.Alpha
    2.Delta (I keep wanting to call this one Omega lol)
    3.Beta
    4.Gamma

SARS y Mers is also a coronovirus. Novel Coronovirus is the brand new one.

Wear a face mask ,wash hands,avoid crowds, stand with ample space in between who your talking to not up close,air filter that gets more than most for AC/Heater ,wear gloves like our ancestors look like your going to a cocktail party lol,y hygiene is all you can do.
    Even then you can catch it in your house 🏡 with no contact so what will be will be. So live life don’t worry. Stock up on a few foods in case like China we get shut in or something.Will live off rice y apples here lol 😂 a reason to get rid of it.

Amber Tx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    Options
    Amber I would like to add try to get the best sleep you can, keep your body moving during the day, get some natural sun in the morning if possible, aim for a diet lower in sugars and higher in whole grains, veggies, and some fruit, if under high stress do something that works for you to counteract it, and building relationships. In other words good practices we remind each other often here.

Amber thanks for the reminders now. I try to remind myself this is the time to put the money in the bank. (By that I mean the practices that will help strengthen me) There are other things besides a bad virus that can challenge one... job loss, loss of a loved one, chronic illnesses, family disputes, natural disasters, unexpected financial blows. Any of these can happen anytime and the stronger I make myself the better I will be able to handle it. I told a nurse once I am getting my backpack ready hopefully I do not need to use it. I was waiting on a test result.

I think I'll put a Zumba class in my backpack today.

:heart: Margaret
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Machka- tomato sauce Prego only one I like all others even homemade I got to add sugar a tsp to cut the sharp taste. Anything in a metal can metallic taste even canned corn so I cook each a way I can to not taste it like lemon juice! Added helps me to pepper Blk or water added after it’s drained fry it in a frying pan to brown even peas. If milk products a week before turning I taste sour without seeing the date. Made me a test subject at work lol taste this. Put milk on the list Amber tastes sour! Got a week use it up! I find my taste buds like Dads ,Daughter,y JRs is considered to be over active or very fine .We have been test subjects for food companies we taste tested Sierra Mist ,zero drinks, cereals, etc. we stopped after Daughter joined the Navy.

Amber Tx

Margaret- Big hugs 🤗. Ever since JR been a roller coasters 🎢 lol .He has learned how to climb the couch so stress is a constant with this kid lol. I do wear face mask 😷 certain parts of winter y avoid crowds. What will be will be. We have huge windows in our home let’s light in which I love even the doors are windows. Lots of veggies to protein shake for Vegan n my house. Salt y sugar avoiding as much as you can now if days. Impossible to fully cut it out (processed foods to GMOs) . The big windows open makes walking indoors feel more open
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    New use for Greek yogurt! Added a tablespoon to the peanut butter pancakes it tastes good! JRs loving it

Amber Tx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,207 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Went on the bus to my favourite supermarket. I talked to the woman next to me all the way there and the same woman caught my bus back and we chatted again. :D
    The weather is gorgeous. B) Good job as we are walking to dancing this evening. Looking forward to it immensely.

KJ - yes, my DDIL's 40th birthday, in March. I'm feeling a little bit resentful, but I'm trying to get over myself. :*;) I don't see why we should be taking the strain of a kids sleepover more than once, and I'm a bit annoyed at them inviting us to something, us accepting happily, and then being told we have to pay. I accepted before I knew about the paying and I'm not sure I would have accepted the i360 if I knew I was paying. Cream tea for all her family at the Grand Hotel sounds nice and I don't mind paying my share. :) I hope I will have the courage to refuse the second sleepover if my son asks us again. :# Don't want to do two weekends in quick succession. The cricket season starts in April, after the cruise, which is a help. I'm happy to help once for her birthday girly bash, but after that.......
    I very much hope your zoning etc goes ahead and you get what you want. You more than deserve it. <3<3 How you are managing to lose weight with all that going on is amazing! Well done. :drinker:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx