Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

If a calorie is a calorie, why do we see this?

1235»

Replies

• bmeadows380bmeadows380 Posts: 1,551Member Member Posts: 1,551Member Member
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I was always told to eat more food early in the day and less at dinner so you're not overlapping sleep with digestion.

Well it turns out that those who told you so might be *correct*, even if the reason might not be.

There's nothing correct about the idea that sleep and digestion shouldn't happen at the same time. In fact, as you're ignoring, it's already been pointed out that this would be pretty much impossible, as digestion takes place over a few days and humans require sleep and food on a schedule that would make separation of the two impossible.

well, I wouldn't say impossible but certainly improbable, uncomfortable, and unhealthy. That would be some extreme version of IF, though!
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Posts: 7,550Member Member Posts: 7,550Member Member
    I was always told to eat more food early in the day and less at dinner so you're not overlapping sleep with digestion.

Well it turns out that those who told you so might be *correct*, even if the reason might not be.

There's nothing correct about the idea that sleep and digestion shouldn't happen at the same time. In fact, as you're ignoring, it's already been pointed out that this would be pretty much impossible, as digestion takes place over a few days and humans require sleep and food on a schedule that would make separation of the two impossible.

well, I wouldn't say impossible but certainly improbable, uncomfortable, and unhealthy. That would be some extreme version of IF and prolonged periods of sleeplessness, though!

FIFY
  • wruperwruper Posts: 23Member Member Posts: 23Member Member
    Sure wish I Could sleep better. Feel better in morning fasting than after I eat. Usually don't eat breakfast until noon or a bit after.
  • saintor1saintor1 Posts: 282Member Member Posts: 282Member Member
    SEVENTH

Study made in Germany just published in the The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
    https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/105/3/dgz311/5740411

Discussion

Our data show that the time of day of food intake makes a difference in humans’ energy expenditure and metabolic responses to meals.
    We clearlyshow that DIT is 2.5 times higher after breakfast than after dinner.
    Overall, the diurnal variations in DIT, independent of the calorie content of the meals, imply that the time of food intake is important not only in the prevention of obesity but also in terms of diets for weight loss.

• magnusthenerdmagnusthenerd Posts: 1,061Member Member Posts: 1,061Member Member
    SEVENTH

Study made in Germany just published in the The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
    https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/105/3/dgz311/5740411

Discussion

Our data show that the time of day of food intake makes a difference in humans’ energy expenditure and metabolic responses to meals.
    We clearlyshow that DIT is 2.5 times higher after breakfast than after dinner.
    Overall, the diurnal variations in DIT, independent of the calorie content of the meals, imply that the time of food intake is important not only in the prevention of obesity but also in terms of diets for weight loss.

What even is DIT?