Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If a calorie is a calorie, why do we see this?

123457»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Here is a different view on the same subject. The young man is a good presenter and his personal experience is also a good testimony, although all his cited references were already mentioned above. More on this starting at 4:00m, but the thermogenesis part earlier in his video is also interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCyECbA3pUw

I can't even get through the into. Nonsense...

I mean intro...
  • NeahF
    NeahF Posts: 49 Member
    Awesome! This makes sense. I mean, we burn more calories earlier in the day, right? So the energy from the big breakfast were utilized more than the ones eaten at dinner. Plus, with more calories, more energy, more energy, more calories burned. It's a good cycle when you start the day with plenty of energy to use!
  • J72FIT
    edited May 2020
    J72FIT wrote: »
    "If a calorie is a calorie, why do we see this...?"

We continue to see this because it sells the idea that fat loss is easy and requires no effort. "Just do this, just eat this, just do this workout..." We continue to see it because people don't want to know the truth and the criminals who sell it should be ashamed of themselves...

I want to correct this to say people don't want to see or believe the truth. I think everyone wants to know the truth, it's just that many times the truth is there but you don't want to believe it because it's not what you want to hear or fit into your personal narrative...
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    I was 200lbs 6 months ago, I lost 45lbs eating 75% junk food. Right now i'm maintaining my weight eating 40-50% junk food, so I guess in terms of weight management a calorie is a calorie.

For weight management a calorie is a calorie.

You would hope that one would not have such a high percentage of their diet as self described "junk food", for long term health but carry on.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    I was 200lbs 6 months ago, I lost 45lbs eating 75% junk food. Right now i'm maintaining my weight eating 40-50% junk food, so I guess in terms of weight management a calorie is a calorie.

Terrible conclusion. I guess that you didn't read anything, Those major studies show that if you eat most of your calories early in the days, you will lose weight quicker no matter the root cause. I gather that your experience has nothing to do with that.

The guy lost almost 50 pounds. Hello!
  • J72FIT
    Let's put it this way, if you eat most of your calories early in the day and are in a surplus, you're not losing fat. Don't major in the minors...