February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    bearly63 wrote: »
    My running goals for 2020 are to build up endurance and speed while staying healthy. Strength goal - lose body fat and gain some muscle and work on flexibility.

February goal : 60 miles
    Race: Cap 10K in April

Date/Distance:
    2/1 - Yoga/strength day
    2/2 – 7.1 miles
    2/3 – Slow Flow Yoga
    2/4 – 4.2 miles
    2/5 – Walked 1.5 miles, Strength Circuit
    2/6 – Ran 2.5 miles on treadmill, cycled at gym

Monthly total – 15.3 miles

Stayed inside today due to the cold. Hip is pretty uncomfortable – not sure if it’s the flexor, tendonitis, bursitis, psoas, yada yada yada. Really don’t feel like spending $1000s for a diagnosis – just hoping its overuse (? – don’t run that much) or tightness or new strength routine. Trying to roll, stretch, ice, advil. I will need to deal with it if gets worse. Do I get the Debbie Downer award or what lol? :#

How old are your shoes? Might be time for new?
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @emmamcgarity
    Pretty new unfortunately - 2 months. Wearing Asics Gel Kayanos - found them when I had plantar fasc. and they really seemed to do the trick. I also have orthotics. But have thought about maybe some Hokas. I only trail run so no road time. But good idea to think about.
  • emmamcgarity
    @emmamcgarity
    Pretty new unfortunately - 2 months. Wearing Asics Gel Kayanos - found them when I had plantar fasc. and they really seemed to do the trick. I also have orthotics. But have thought about maybe some Hokas. I only trail run so no road time. But good idea to think about.

I’m also not a fan of spending $1000 for a diagnosis. Does your gut say overuse? Have you increased mileage recently?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @emmamcgarity

Take the orthotics out of your kayano. They are not designed to wear with them, and are supposed to do the job of the orthotics. It may be that the stability of orthotics on top of the stability of the shoes are causing your issues. The timing would fit that as well.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    jmuriel13 wrote: »
    Hi...I don't know if I'm doing this right or not but I would like to join, please. Thank you.

Welcome! You are in. Read the very first post in the thread, it covers all the things. :)
  • emmamcgarity
    jmuriel13 wrote: »
    Hi...I don't know if I'm doing this right or not but I would like to join, please. Thank you.
    Welcome! This is a great group. We all have different goals and that’s ok. Very encouraging group. Set your goals based on what works for you and we will cheer you on!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited February 2020
    I got sleeted on! We had an easy 5k on the schedule, ended up pushing it a little harder than we should have (and learned we are really sadly out of shape, my husband has my strep throat now) and were walking afterwards when ow ow ow right in the face like a bunch of little stinging needles! So we ran back to the car.

It’s probably not going to stick since it’s 33 degrees but it’s currently snowing.

We ran at the Wolf River Greenway and saw a deer family right next to the road. At rush hour! I hope they have enough sense not to play in traffic. We also saw a lunatic. When we arrived it was just us - Memphians are not into running in winter weather unless you count emergency runs to the grocery store - and one other car in the parking lot. We wondered who it would turn out to be. We were about halfway through our second mile and I was saying, “It’s not bad out here except for my face, this damp freezing mist with the wind is a little much though,” and my husband was saying, “I’m good except that my gloves are wet and my fingers are freezing,” and here comes an older gentleman wearing nothing but running shoes and tiny shorts, with his long-sleeved shirt tied around his waist, running hard in the opposite direction! I don’t know if he had recently arrived from a much colder climate (maybe Skyrim?) and Memphis felt warm to him, or if he had lost his mind due to hypothermia, or if he had just decided the heck with it, if I have to be out here I’m going all in! Like those guys who do the ice jumps.

It snowed supposedly where I live too, but was gone when I left work. So basically it didn't snow... I had heard when I moved here that it doesn't snow here. And so far that has proven true. If I ran yesterday, though, it would have also been in shorts and maybe long sleeves. It gets just as hot here in the summer, but there are no winters here apparently. Meanwhile, my co-workers in southern VT (another facility in same division of company) are supposed to get a big winter storm. Back where I am from in Iowa, it sounds like they are having a mild winter relative to location.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited February 2020
    @rheddmobile
    lol. we always a few of those up here in wisconsin.

@jmuriel13 welcome. of course, it's the right thing. there is a lovely depth of experience and knowledge here. and we don't bite.

got home from teaching last night and went straight to bed. 4 or 5 miles tonight
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @emmamcgarity
    Yes....just started going 7 miles on Sundays in the past couple of weeks - could be that although hip didn't hurt until this week.

@Avidkeo
    Actually have had orthotics for 10 years (big pronator)- these ones for 3 and podiatrist checked them and my shoes recently. He's a marathoner. And have been running with this set up for 2 years so not sure I can blame them. Thinks its probably new strength routine and added mileage my gut tells me, coupled with "aging sucks" lol. I will keep icing, resting, stretching, rolling along.....