February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Went for a 4k run this morning, but as my period is due, my appetite is raging. Hubby just took the kids out for a bit, so I'm going to go for a walk.

This has 3 benefits: 1 - gets me away from temptation. 2: gives me more calories if I do cave to temptation when I get back. 3: I can listen to the end of my current crime file podcast on the Yorkshire ripper. I have a theory and want to see if I'm right.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Finally caught up in all the posts the past few days. Our Parkrun here In Houston also did tutus this morning. They said something about rugby, but I didn’t understand how that related to tutus. I don’t have one. So I dressed in boring running capris and an athletic shirt. I guess I’ll need to scout sources for tutus for next time.. but the run was good, the coffee and companionship great. All in all a great day.

Asthma - I also have asthma which is mostly seasonal but cold weather definitely is problematic for me when running. I use my inhaler a few minutes before heading out to run. And sometimes I’ll drape a light scarf around the lower half of my face to warm the air a little as I breath it in. Luckily we don’t have many cold weather days here.

Sunscreen - I really should do better with this. In the Summer I run at night after dark due to the heat. But in Winter I’m actually running in daylight. Though my face moisturizer does have spf15. So I guess that’s something.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 What I want to know is, did you wear the tutu on the run to and from the park run? If so, did you get any weird looks from passersby?

No, I did not :) It was in my backpack. But we did get some strange looks during the run.

@emmamcgarity I made my own. I had a bunch of pieces of tulle that the preschoolers wave around during my music classes, and I just threaded them onto a string and tied it around my waist :)
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I put off posting until I could include a picture of my ridiculous costume...
    I'm the reindeer in a tutu, and yes my tights matched thank you very much! fomva0gtbb9a.jpg
    nmlesejcrms4.jpg

You did tutu day too!
    fyaicsj1v5l5.jpg

Oh fun! Yeah, for us it was a "Carnival" theme (as in the festive cultural season before lent, usually associated with costume parties and other revelry, depending on your age), which was also the reason for the donuts. Afterwards they wrote up their summary post like a news report about strange fugitives seen running around in circles at the park.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,962 Member
    Options
    All of the tutu/themed park runs sound like fun!

@Avidkeo Hope you make it through the week without too much damage to your food plan.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Popping back in here to say hi. I nearly drove myself crazy with a 16 day no run streak. Yesterday I went out before dawn for 8km and now feel much better. This running thing we're doing is better than meds.

Planning to get back to running by doing low risk outings in the wee hours of the morning, and cycling since that seems to be a pretty good way of doing cardio without getting close to any other human beings. Been working from home for three weeks already. I think I was getting some variation of cabin fever back there. And the HIIT and strength training weren't doing anything for the mental health.

I've long since given up any kind of goal for this month. But let's say three runs a week from now until the end of the epidemic, just to keep myself sane.

Not been in the forum much, but read through all the posts and hit a lot of likes and hugs. Love you all, keep running guys!

So glad to hear from you! The news reporting on what is going on over there is dismal.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Popping back in here to say hi. I nearly drove myself crazy with a 16 day no run streak. Yesterday I went out before dawn for 8km and now feel much better. This running thing we're doing is better than meds.

Planning to get back to running by doing low risk outings in the wee hours of the morning, and cycling since that seems to be a pretty good way of doing cardio without getting close to any other human beings. Been working from home for three weeks already. I think I was getting some variation of cabin fever back there. And the HIIT and strength training weren't doing anything for the mental health.

I've long since given up any kind of goal for this month. But let's say three runs a week from now until the end of the epidemic, just to keep myself sane.

Not been in the forum much, but read through all the posts and hit a lot of likes and hugs. Love you all, keep running guys!

So glad to hear from you! The news reporting on what is going on over there is dismal.

Thanks! Generally speaking, the situation as a whole is getting better. Figures have been going down steadily for the last week or so, and everyday life is slowly ramping back up. But Beijing with all its transient population is in a bit of a risky state right now, especially if people start going back to work en masse starting this week or next. To be safe and responsible, we're staying very put until the end is in sight.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I posted this in the FB group but I thought I'd cross-post here in case some aren't in the FB group.

So I'm kind of in a weird place with my running right now.

I want to do a 50k in March 2021 which means training would probably start September (I think that's months - which was the longest training plans I saw).

I have some trail races this spring & summer but all are less than 7 miles. I've been keeping my long runs around 6-8 miles (the dog can handle this distance easily - she can do 9 or 10 but she gets tired and warm). It's starting to get warm already so I don't know if I should keep increasing my long runs or stick in the 6-10ish range.

I was thinking of maybe increasing slowly so I run an unofficial marathon on my 40th birthday (8/30) and can say I did a marathon. LOL

Thoughts?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention I found a podcast called She Runs Trails and its aimed at beginner and middle of the pack female trail runners. I've only listened to the first episode so far (there's only 14 and they're 30-60 minutes).

I added them to my playlist but it may take me a while as I listen to all my caught up podcasts new episodes first and I'm trying to work through Crime in Sports.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 - Loved the tutu!
    Yes on the l.s. running shirts. I don't like tight shirts in general so typically go a size or two larger than what I should wear. I have also found there are some fabrics that are more 'breathable' than others without being too thin. I still use sunscreen on my face and neck and the back of my hands.

@Camaramandy648 - what is this with 'getting your hair back'? and not being able to run until Tuesday?
    Awesome getting to see your brother next month! You really should plan out some running locations and then just make it happen, even if it is just a single run in an awesome place! You could even check out any races (5k maybe) going on nearby while you are there 😊 Portland has so many great running areas and an amazing running community.

@noblsheep - I am so happy to see you checking in! I have been thinking about you and hoping all was still well with you and your family! I guess it is good to see things returning to normal somewhat but I would be with you on staying put until it is really over!

@runsonespresso - I guess it depends on where you want to be in general from a running perspective. You could just stay where you are for now, running 6-8 mile long runs. Doing runs longer than that though might make your 50k training easier as you would have a better solid base under you and not have to build up so much even though you do have 6 months to do it in.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @PastorVincent haha I'm planning to do the race, just not sure what to do with myself until it's time to really start training. Looks like I'll be increasing miles since everyone says too
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,962 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep Glad to hear that you and your family are still okay. It must be hard to stay away from people, but necessary. I hope people aren't going back to work too soon. Smart of you to stay away as long as you can.
  • johnisrunning
    johnisrunning Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 3.1 miles
    2/2 - 13.33 miles
    27.43 miles for the week (16.43 in February)

2/3 - Weightlifting
    2/4 - 2.5 miles
    2/5 - 5.5 miles
    2/6 - 5 miles
    2/7 - 5 miles
    2/8 - 7.21 miles
    2/9 - 4.8 miles
    30.01 miles for the week

2/10 - Rest
    2/11 - Skipped
    2/12 - 6.88 miles
    2/13 - 5.5 miles
    2/14 - Rest
    2/15 - 4.66 miles
    2/16 - 15.05 miles
    32.09 miles for the week

2/17 - 5 miles
    2/18 - 6 miles
    2/19 - Travel
    2/20 - 6 miles
    2/21 - Travel
    2/22 - 4 miles
    2/23 - 13.33 miles (2:01:06)
    34.33 miles for the week

February To-Date / Target = 112.86 / 129 miles
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So. Tired. Broken sleep is the worst. Oh 5hrs of broken sleep is the worst.

Gonna run when coffee hits. No idea on distance though
    Then curl up in bed till 2pm when I have to be at work again. Guh.

@noblsheep glad to see you about
    @RunsOnEspresso I'm surprised you are asking! Go, do, have fun!

Not having anything I'm currently training for is making me a little loopy. I feel lost lol