March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    Question: The week after your race, do you ease back into your miles, or do you go back to what you were running pre-taper?

It depends on the race.

5k? 10k? I may even run extra miles the very same day as the race. :)

10Miler? HM? - Those distances I currently run a few times a week, so I just carry one like I never raced.

Full Marathon? 50k? I usually force myself to take a day, maybe two off, then I do a test run. By the end of the week I am back to full normal running schedule.

Keep in mind though, I have been running as an adult for a LONG TIME and as such my base running fitness is much higher than probably 90% of the field.

For people who are not me, it would come down to listening to your body. How do you feel? If you feel fine, take a test run and see how it goes. If you feel worn down, take a rest day and re-evaluate the next day. It is critically important to this sport that you learn to listen to your own body and adapt plans to match what it is telling you. That is how you avoid injury and build long term health and fitness.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    Question: The week after your race, do you ease back into your miles, or do you go back to what you were running pre-taper?
    For a race 10k and under I add an extra rest day if I ran it really hard. Congrats btw, awesome time for your very first 10k!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So google knows me a little too well. :D:D:disappointed:
    4uimmp9v7t5t.jpg

Wait there's a death valley HALF??

A lot of our National Parks have half marathons that are nearby (if not partially in).

Death Valley has an ultra in July. Badwater 135. It's sometime that even as a desert dweller I think is a bit ridiculous. But I'd still do it. If I remember correctly you are allowed to leave the course once to go cool off but have to re enter the course where you left.

Death Valley did stop Badwater for a few years because of "safety". If I remember correctly they moved it outside of DV but have since moved it back.

I’m doing the Lake Powell half this October. I have my eye on a lot of the events on their calendar. Such a fun way to see the parks!

For anyone interested:

https://vacationraces.com/

The Death Valley race isn’t part of that, but many of the other national parks are.

I’d love to do the Alaska week long deal too. But that’s not in the cards for this year. I hope they offer it again.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I. DID. IT. 18 miles for the day! If i subtract lifting in the gym time, then I ran 18 miles in four hours. That is not the worst thing! This means I could possibly make the six hour cut off for the marathon!

So let me just tell you.... today was HARD. I mean, REALLY hard. I wanted to be done with the day while I was still in the gym, before I ever even made it to the trail. My hip was hurting - IT band, I know. It has been improving so much so I was disappointed to find that I am still dealing with it.

When I got to the trail - I wasn’t sure how I’d make it the whole fourteen miles I had left. I decided I would dominate my own brain and tell myself, “Okay, you wanna quit so bad? Fine. But not yet. You can quit in a little while.” And I just kept telling myself that.

I ran up almost all the hills. I ran down all the hills. I fueled with gels and water. I tried to keep my walking structures but the wind was SO MUCH today and I was fighting it the whole way out, no matter which direction I turned, it found me. There were times when I just didn’t care- i was walking.

The way back, my motivation was simply, “five miles til the water fountain,” and, “just one more mile til the water fountain,” and, “the only way i get to be done is if I make it back to the car.”

Today was so, so hard and I even at one point thought, “i am never running again.” - yeah right lmao

But now that I’m home and foam rolled. I am SO PROUD of myself. Like beaming. I did it!

Yay! Well done!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I. DID. IT. 18 miles for the day! If i subtract lifting in the gym time, then I ran 18 miles in four hours. That is not the worst thing! This means I could possibly make the six hour cut off for the marathon!

So let me just tell you.... today was HARD. I mean, REALLY hard. I wanted to be done with the day while I was still in the gym, before I ever even made it to the trail. My hip was hurting - IT band, I know. It has been improving so much so I was disappointed to find that I am still dealing with it.

When I got to the trail - I wasn’t sure how I’d make it the whole fourteen miles I had left. I decided I would dominate my own brain and tell myself, “Okay, you wanna quit so bad? Fine. But not yet. You can quit in a little while.” And I just kept telling myself that.

I ran up almost all the hills. I ran down all the hills. I fueled with gels and water. I tried to keep my walking structures but the wind was SO MUCH today and I was fighting it the whole way out, no matter which direction I turned, it found me. There were times when I just didn’t care- i was walking.

The way back, my motivation was simply, “five miles til the water fountain,” and, “just one more mile til the water fountain,” and, “the only way i get to be done is if I make it back to the car.”

Today was so, so hard and I even at one point thought, “i am never running again.” - yeah right lmao

But now that I’m home and foam rolled. I am SO PROUD of myself. Like beaming. I did it!

I'm proud of you! Countdown is on!!!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

You are AWESOME! Very well done!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Way to go @Camaramandy648! You did do it!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 Thanks, I’m pretty sure it’s that inflamed nerve or ligament right at the base of toe 3. Yesterday was such a sharp pain right at that spot and the the toes hurt as well.
    Hope you prognosis is better than we think, and yes ask lots of questions!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options

Woo hoo. Go you!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @Camaramandy648! You showed your true grit!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @rheddmobile Glad you had a good run and are feeling better. Loved your story about the dog. :smile:

@hamsterwheel6 I hope you get your toe issue figured out. I'm sure the race will be better than today. Good luck!

Way to hang in there and get it done @Camaramandy648 ! Congratulations!

Glad you had a fun run this morning @Avidkeo !

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So google knows me a little too well. :D:D:disappointed:
    4uimmp9v7t5t.jpg

Wait there's a death valley HALF??

A lot of our National Parks have half marathons that are nearby (if not partially in).

Death Valley has an ultra in July. Badwater 135. It's sometime that even as a desert dweller I think is a bit ridiculous. But I'd still do it. If I remember correctly you are allowed to leave the course once to go cool off but have to re enter the course where you left.

Death Valley did stop Badwater for a few years because of "safety". If I remember correctly they moved it outside of DV but have since moved it back.

I’m doing the Lake Powell half this October. I have my eye on a lot of the events on their calendar. Such a fun way to see the parks!

For anyone interested:

https://vacationraces.com/

The Death Valley race isn’t part of that, but many of the other national parks are.

I’d love to do the Alaska week long deal too. But that’s not in the cards for this year. I hope they offer it again.

I get their emails. I haven't done one but there are a few I'm interested in. I really want to do the Antelope Canyon ultra because you actually run through one of the canyons. The shorter races just go around.