Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    MD issued non-essential business closed @ 5pm today.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

When did that happen?
  • beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    MD - Hogan put this into effect this morning, 11 am - all non essential businesses to close.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    lx1x wrote: »

When did that happen?

10ish today.. Hogan was doing his briefings.

https://patch.com/maryland/annapolis/md-coronavirus-governor-orders-nonessential-businesses-close
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    An update from Belgium where we are now in our second week of lockdown:

All hospitals have prepared like crazy: all routine exams have been cancelled, and the number of ICU beds have almost doubled overnight. We already had an exellent healthcare system, and we are preparing for the worst which we do expect in 2 weeks. We have also asked pensioners and other non-active healthcare providers to become active again.

Economically, the government has taken steps to allow all the people who cannot work anymore because of covid to receive a grant to overcome the first months of unemployment. Even the electricity / heating and water bills will be covered for the first month for people who don't have a job and steps are taken to allow a delay in payment of mortgages and home rental fees. Small businesses will qualify for a 0% interest loan. We now also have a special department who matches people who are suddenly without a job with businesses who are in desperate need. For example, large farming companies normally depend on seasonal workers from abroad to harvest asparagus and strawberries. We try to have this done with local people to avoid large quantities of food going to waste.
    We plan to be in further lockdown for about 8 more weeks, so we desperately needed some hope on the economical front.

Hoarding is still happening, but certainly not on the scale I read here, as it is happening in the US. All supermarkets are still well stocked although it is a logistical nightmare. Hubbie is working for a big retailer and he is clocking a lot of extra hours (from home) to make it happen. On top of this, although he has a high managerial job, he will volunteer to go stocking shelves one day a week. We are all hoping the hoarding will stop at a certain point.

What we also see is a lot of solidarity: the Red Cross functions as a logistical touchpoint where people who are bored out of their minds can help with doing chores like grocery shopping for nurses, calling eldery who are solitary, etc... Some IT guys have developed a platform in 3 days where volunteers can also help out in hospitals and elderly homes - on on weekend 5.000 volunteers have registered. Large telecom companies have upped the data volume for all households free of charge. And apart for the occasional slip-up here and there, people are staying inside their homes and following official guidelines. No weddings, parties, funerals, etc... everything is postponed and we are adjusting pretty well with these restrictions.

Kind of similar in Austria/Vienna. Not many people on the streets, but people still walk, bike, and hike (keeping the distance). Grocery stores are well stocked and no hoarding. Schools, universities, restaurants, bars, museums, theaters, and non-essential businesses are closed. Buses and u-bahn are pretty empty. But people are helping each other and it's rather calm. For now we are on the lockdown for four more weeks, but this will most likely be extended...
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Stay at Home Order declared in Indiana. Just announced by the Governor. Non- Essential business will be closed. It takes effect end of day tomorrow and goes through April 6. This also includes all government offices so I will be work from home until at least then.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks - I could have googled, I guess. I just read the release, and he is still allowing restaurants to provide take-out/delivery services, along with a whole host of other businesses... There are so many exceptions that it doesn't seem as if as many are affected as could be...
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    A question for states that have shelter in place in effect, ie: California, if people are going to beaches, are arrests being made for violations? Many, maybe all, states have only essential businesses open, with no formal, shelter in place, mandate. What’s the difference?
    On the bright side, no one probably wants to visit beaches here for at least 6-8 weeks at the earliest, when it will be warm enough.

No. At least not in the Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach/Redondo Beach area. I don't think people should be arrested, but I do think maybe the police who drive by routinely on the bike path may want to occasionally issue a verbal reminder to some of the larger groups. Or maybe one of the lifeguards could walk the 3 feet from the big lifeguard station and suggest to the 50 or so people gathered around the building with their gym equipment that they need to separate a few feet from each other.

It's a little cold and rainy still so that is keeping the crowds down.

We have drones patrolling some of our beaches in Italy now. They hover over people and tell them to distance and that they are supposed to be at home.

While I understand and agree with the action, the mental image of that is just creepy as *kitten*.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

I went out both Saturday and Sunday -- I had errands, but it had the feel of what in my youth was called "going for a Sunday drive," where you piled into the car and just drove someplace, maybe looking at houses or flowers or scenery in a more rural area ... No need to have human contact that could spread a virus just because you get in your car for a drive.

Generally the roads are a lot less busy around here. However, yesterday I went for a run in the state forest. There's a gravel road that leads back into the mountains. There's not much to see but trees and a small creek, and it seems mostly to be a hunting/fishing area in season. Normally when I run there, I'll see 1 or 2 cars an hour. Yesteday I saw 18 during my 8 mile run. Nobody on foot, though there were a couple of cars parked there, so presumably someone was running or biking. I just never saw them. I figured it would be a lot less populated than the state park or running in town. I was right.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Thanks - I could have googled, I guess. I just read the release, and he is still allowing restaurants to provide take-out/delivery services, along with a whole host of other businesses... There are so many exceptions that it doesn't seem as if as many are affected as could be...

Apparently American officials have decided to "split the difference," by keeping open what businesses they can while keeping home as many people as they can--balancing economic and medical concerns. I guess only time will tell if that strategy is worthwhile. I think it gives folks a mixed message and is not completely consistent with CDC recommendations. But IF it works, then the economic impact will be worth it. I don't know that the economic benefit is worth risking more lives, though.

• mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    WI to get a "Safer At Home" order tomorrow. Fewer business will be open--also mentions the need for folks to limit interactions to the same people, not different small groups. Good. Some people do not seem to get that distinction.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options

I went out both Saturday and Sunday -- I had errands, but it had the feel of what in my youth was called "going for a Sunday drive," where you piled into the car and just drove someplace, maybe looking at houses or flowers or scenery in a more rural area ... No need to have human contact that could spread a virus just because you get in your car for a drive.

Generally the roads are a lot less busy around here. However, yesterday I went for a run in the state forest. There's a gravel road that leads back into the mountains. There's not much to see but trees and a small creek, and it seems mostly to be a hunting/fishing area in season. Normally when I run there, I'll see 1 or 2 cars an hour. Yesteday I saw 18 during my 8 mile run. Nobody on foot, though there were a couple of cars parked there, so presumably someone was running or biking. I just never saw them. I figured it would be a lot less populated than the state park or running in town. I was right.

Re the bolded, I've noticed that where I am too. Normally my house street is quite busy throughout the day as it's a main thoroughfare for multiple subdivisions. I walked out to retrieve our trashcan this morning, and there wasn't a single car as far as I could see in either direction. It was a little eerie.