Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I've actually read in a couple different places (which of course now I can't remember where, doh!) that a paper towel inserted between layers of a homemade cloth mask is a rather effective "filter". I have no idea whether that's actually true or not, but figured someone here might know.

Doesn't that make it unwashable? Unless you make it a pocket type mask.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    j2p3yxc2yin8.png

I have been looking for this, so thought I’d share, in case others are looking, too.

I wonder about their methodology, since “quilting fabric” isn’t a monolithic thing. There are cheap quilting fabrics with low thread count and premium quilting fabrics with higher count and tighter weave and a lot in between. And all of them seem to be considerably less tight-woven than a high count cotton pillowcase, which potentially could have exactly the same weave.

I’m thinking there’s about to be a run on furnace filters and vacuum bags if there hasn’t been already.

I had similar thoughts. Some "600 thread count" sheets are actually cheap, thin microfiber and not tightly woven long staple cotton.

My local Humane Society put out a call for masks because they were donating their surgical masks to the hospital and the fabric ones, made right, are sufficient to prevent human germs from contaminating pets during surgeries. I made a bunch from tightly woven quilting cotton and lined them with pieces cut from a 500 thread count sheet I no longer needed (twin size, all my beds are full size now).
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @earlnabby

I have also been told that using a non woven lining in between the two fabric layers is best. I had some fusible interfacing and made mask using higher thread count fabrics. Sheets are a great idea, I have some 600 count sheets I have been saving to use as drop cloths. Now we just need to be able to find elastic which would be easier than making my own bias tape for ties. Local stores have been sold out of Bias tape, elastic, shoe laces, etc, for weeks and online stores are projecting that they cannot ship until May.

Thank you for taking care of your local Humane Society!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    SmallMimi wrote: »
    @earlnabby

I have also been told that using a non woven lining in between the two fabric layers is best. I had some fusible interfacing and made mask using higher thread count fabrics. Sheets are a great idea, I have some 600 count sheets I have been saving to use as drop cloths. Now we just need to be able to find elastic which would be easier than making my own bias tape for ties. Local stores have been sold out of Bias tape, elastic, shoe laces, etc, for weeks and online stores are projecting that they cannot ship until May.

Thank you for taking care of your local Humane Society!

I had some 3/8" clear elastic in my stash. It is a little wider than recommended but is very soft while still being strong.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I've actually read in a couple different places (which of course now I can't remember where, doh!) that a paper towel inserted between layers of a homemade cloth mask is a rather effective "filter". I have no idea whether that's actually true or not, but figured someone here might know.

Doesn't that make it unwashable? Unless you make it a pocket type mask.

Yes it would have to be a pocket kind.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Many Car insurance companies giving discounts since everyone's staying home just call check they'll lower or refund portion of your payments

https://apple.news/AMVdWHpvMSpCKuIHWDOOj7Q
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    So, I ordered masks from Amazon. I just got an email saying the order has been cancelled by them. No reason given. I’m assuming they’re unavailable, but no explanation given. I’ve been buying from Amazon for a long time and no orders ever cancelled before.

Amazon is struggling both to receive and ship with the virus in the employees. The last couple orders had serious limits a quantities. One order that would have come in one or two boxes came in 8 boxes from warehouses far and very far away. I did get a few masks but they were made in the same providence of the "famous " China wet markets location. :(
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    @snowflake954 thanks for all your updates, they've been really helpful. What masks did you order? How did you decide which one to go for? I'm in the UK and, looking on Amazon, the vast majority look to be identical blue ones (but at differing prices / pack sizes) although there are a few alternatives. They all seem to be coming from China and most have a delivery range of between 25th April and 5th May.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    So, I ordered masks from Amazon. I just got an email saying the order has been cancelled by them. No reason given. I’m assuming they’re unavailable, but no explanation given. I’ve been buying from Amazon for a long time and no orders ever cancelled before.

check out epsy...
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Not enough data points, but encouraging...NM has it's third straight day of decreasing new case positives. 93 on Saturday, 85 on Sunday, and 63 today. We're doing more testing per capita than any state which I don't quite understand since there seems to be a shortage of tests (I'm going to have to dive into that more)...I know we have capacity for thousands of tests to be tested as we have two of the countries largest laboratories here in Los Alamos National Lab and Sandia National Lab, but I don't know where the test kits are coming from if there is a shortage. That said, we also have the nations...and probably the world's largest stockpile of nuclear arsenal, so that might be it...IDK. Anyway, seems encouraging at the least until nukes start to go off...we're a primary target for most of the world that doesn't back the USA.

Our governor acted early basically shutting things down with only 3 presumptive cases...a week later non essential business was ordered to shut, not just recommended. Fast action, and a lot of testing...less than a month later, there is a light at the end of the tunnel...I wish the whole country did/could do this...
  • Strudders67
    Options
    @cwolfman13 - thanks for the tip, even though it's not addressed to me. The ones I'm looking at now are more what I had in mind, especially if I can somehow follow other people's suggestions and find a way to insert an additional layer of cotton or kitchen paper.
  • Strudders67
    Options
    Not guilty on the Disagree! I just assumed that Etsy was meant and went to the website. Not somewhere I would have thought of looking, so definitely a helpful pointer.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

check out epsy...

Not sure who disagreed...I can guess...but epsy has tons of people making masks for the general population and we're getting ours delivered this week. So snowflake...*kitten* off.

You mean Etsy and not Epsy, correct me if I’m wrong.

The person that disagreed with you should have just corrected your spelling of the website name.

Yes, correct...my phone auto corrects as my youngest has food alergies and we are usually looking for pens....etsy is where we got our masks and they should be delivered in the next day or two.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I'm not convinced that the TP shortage is due to people increasing use at home. I would think that the supply chain can handle the 50% of people spending 10-12 hours more at home. Especially where I live, where people seem to be moving about as much as always, I'm guessing the number of people staying home is more like 20% rather than 50%. And yet, there has been no TP in stores I've visited for weeks. When I look online, I can find some that will ship late May or early June... which means it doesn't actually exist yet. So we are basically saying that 20%-50% of the population staying home 40% more of the time is enough to have sucked the entire supply chain dry so there is nothing left in stores, on trucks, nor in warehouses. And there will be no more for months. Some people spending some more hours at home just doesn't make sense that it could cause this level of shortage. There are definitely hoarders severe enough to have made significant impacts on supply.

Actually, here's an article on why the consumer toilet paper supply chain can't really handle any increase in demand. It's designed on the expectation of fairly constant demand, and already running at full capacity.

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

This is the same article previously shared that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. If 20%-50% of the population is buying 40% more while some of us are buying 100% less and running out because we can't find any; how can it be that there is nothing left on shelves, nothing left on trucks to the store, nothing left in retail warehouses, nothing left in manufacturer warehouses, and nothing left on trucks to the retail warehouses? I just don't see how the math could possibly work unless there is significant enough hoarding to make a difference.

ETA: And apparently all the production for the next 6 weeks is spoken for because that is when everyone is saying they expect to have more.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    @cwolfman13 - thanks for the tip, even though it's not addressed to me. The ones I'm looking at now are more what I had in mind, especially if I can somehow follow other people's suggestions and find a way to insert an additional layer of cotton or kitchen paper.

etsy for clarification. My youngest has food alergens and epp...just pops up because we're always looking for his medication...
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    sorry people...etsy,,,