Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Last time I mentioned in this thread that I thought I might have gotten Covid back in late November ( and Ann rolled her eyes at me ) I hesitated to mention that my cat got really sick about a week after I had been coughing on her all night long. I thought I was going to lose her. I managed to syringe feed her for 10 days, and gave her sub-q fluids daily for two weeks and she recovered.

JS.

Again...neither of us went to the doctor. I can't prove it. Just another suspicious link.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Our NextDoor is a weird mix of BrentwoodStrong (our community online center for those who need help and those who have help to give) and community service announcements along with vulger rants blaming the current situation on political leaders on both sides, or 5G towers, or international plots to destroy America, or aliens (to be fair, that one was speculation). Along with URGENT posts to let everyone know there's a dog wandering the neighborhood who looks like it might be lost.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    wmweeza wrote: »
    In regards to TP, it's not just hoarders , it's that most of us use the bathroom several times a day at work, we are now all home. Nationally that's millions more home bathroom trips. Also most corporate offices buy their supplies elsewhere https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

I've been experiencing this! A 6 pack of double rolls usually gets me well over a month because I work 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. But since I've been working from home, my stash is thinning quickly. I have 2 toilet paper holders for the two toilets in the house; each has about 2 rolls left. I have 1 6 pack I bought before all the insanity started. And I haven't seen anything but Dollar General single ply 4 packs in over 3 weeks now. I'm getting a little nervous here!

Thankfully, my sister works at Krogers and she told me she was able to snag a 12 pack today when they put out the pallet, so if I run completely out, I've got a backup for a couple of rolls at least.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Just spoke to someone who lives nearby who has been grocery shopping every week and he said today was the first time he's been able to get milk, eggs, and bread in the same trip. Not TP though. I'm hoping eventually everybody will have so much TP in their homes they'll realize they need the space for other things. Like turning around.

I may have posted this already, but early on I read someone (elsewhere) complaining that HomeDepot was shockingly full and wondering if everyone was building an extension to house all their new TP.

:smile:

Edited to eliminated double quote
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Re the toilet paper..one time I read that someone couldn’t believe how much tp & coffee they went thru after retiring. Would be the same with everyone home.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Now this is scary.

Tiger at NYC's Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

https://flip.it/3Pj6vX

That is concerning... People as vectors - weird when you think about it. I read an article earlier today about cats being able to become infected, but the study had only been on cats who were intentionally injected with the virus (which makes me mad). And the earlier articles about dogs being susceptible were concerning as well. I have two giant dogs, three cats, nine chickens... Ok. A zoo. I have a zoo. Anyway, the idea that we may be able to make our pets sick really bothers me.

Hope you're staying sane and aren't going too stir-crazy @Chef_Barbell.

People as vectors does sound weird. I read an article about viruses tonight. Part of the article is pasted below followed with some questions/thoughts that I have about SARS-CoV-2.

BY Eva Emerson OCTOBER 30, 1998
    Are viruses alive? After more than 25 years of studying the tiny disease-carrying microbes, Michael Lai thinks so.
    “Viruses are very intelligent. They can think. They do things that we do not expect. They adapt to the environment. They change themselves in order to survive,” said Lai, professor of molecular microbiology and immunology and a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator.

The reason why some high school biology teachers might argue with his stance, Lai notes, is that a virus can be crystallized similar to nonliving matter. Plus, viruses depend on other living things to reproduce.

Viruses have ways to enter the human body (through the nasal passages, mouth, skin or via injection). Many have evolved defenses to help them evade the immune system. Viruses that cause infection in humans hold a “key” that allows them to unlock normal molecules (called viral receptors) on a human cell surface and slip inside.

Once in, viruses commandeer the cell’s nucleic acid and protein-making machinery, so that more copies of the virus can be made.......

One thing that has always interested me is how "intelligent" animals or any life form great or small seem to be and the the "why" of their existence.

SARS-CoV-2 has been around for a while most likely but it has recently gained the attention of the entire world and the greatest minds of our time. It is as if we hold SARS-CoV-2 with high regard and have made many posts about SARS-CoV-2 and the people leading the war on SARS-CoV-2 and we do a body count of those who lose their battle with SARS-CoV-2 and count those that survived the attack made by SARS-CoV-2.

We use SARS-CoV-2 as reasons to help people which we have never met. We use SARS-CoV-2 as reasons to attack people we have never met. SARS-CoV-2 is living rent free in our heads and must be calling the shots since we are trying to read its mind as to its next move like "let us guess how many of us that SARS-CoV-2 will kill tomorrow.

We agree that SARS-CoV-2 per satellite images has been helping Mother Nature clean up her home. Smog is dissipating, polluted streams are starting to run more clear. Wild animals are now seen walking some city streets.

We can clearly see we are not needed to fix the messes that we have made of nature. Clearly nature can fix everything once man is removed from the picture just fine by herself.

What would we do if we had to deal with both SARS-CoV-2 and locust at the same time as some of the least prepared peoples of the world are struggling with tonight.

Maybe Dotty Pardon is on to something when she talks about SARS-CoV-2 maybe is our wake-up call. SARS-CoV-2 is in the drivers seat tonight and like the feather in Forrest Gump tonight with us running around like a chicken after having its head chopped off.

Tonight who is in charge of the current events, the leaders of the known world or SARS-CoV-2? Does Man have dominion over the world tonight or it that just something our Ego made up long ago and we are still listening to that false narrative?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Last time I mentioned in this thread that I thought I might have gotten Covid back in late November ( and Ann rolled her eyes at me ) I hesitated to mention that my cat got really sick about a week after I had been coughing on her all night long. I thought I was going to lose her. I managed to syringe feed her for 10 days, and gave her sub-q fluids daily for two weeks and she recovered.

JS.

Again...neither of us went to the doctor. I can't prove it. Just another suspicious link.

My mother believes she had it in early January. In central(ish) US. All I'll say is that she falls squarely into the 'high-risk' category for this virus... so whether or not I think it's plausible that she did have it, she recovered so I hope she is right.

@galehawkins - that's an interesting article excerpt. Do you have the link? I'd be interested in reading the rest of it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options

JS.

My mother believes she had it in early January. In central(ish) US. All I'll say is that she falls squarely into the 'high-risk' category for this virus... so whether or not I think it's plausible that she did have it, she recovered so I hope she is right.

@galehawkins - that's an interesting article excerpt. Do you have the link? I'd be interested in reading the rest of it.

I admit that at first, I was in the camp that "it was here already" back in December/January time frame. And I've encountered a lot of people in my area that think that. And that's because especially in January, there was this really virulent strain of the flu going around - bad enough that the local school system shut down for 3 days because over half the student body had it. It did have a pretty bad chest component to it; the dry cough lasted for weeks after a person got over it.

but like I told my mom who did have it, if it had truly been COVID-19, way more people would have gotten it because none of this protection was going on then. Especially in my parents' household as my parents sleep in the same bed, and it wouldn't matter what disease my mom has, neither of them will go to the spare bed until its over. Now granted, yes, my dad sleeps with a C-pap machine, but that is still pulling in from the outside air and mom is is primary care-giver so they are in close contact all day. Dad did not catch what mom had. Dad has bad lungs; if it was COVID-19, there is no way he would have avoided it.

I don't know if Mom believes me or not, but I think she at least thought about it. But thinking that it's already been here and people have already had it and gotten over it is dangerous thinking because those same people think it's not a big deal nor will they willingly comply with safety measures.

Like one cashier that my sister work's with at the grocery store who snapped that she refuses to wear a mask and gloves if the store makes them mandatory. *shakes head* I consider that pretty selfish thinking. And if she refuses, well, there's people who need a job these days.......

Since I was one who said I may have had it, I'll weigh in on this.

I am also swabbing my groceries, holding new food for four days before eating, I've been wearing a mask, I haven't been out of my house other than an isolated walk daily and two trips to the store since March 10. So, even though I think, "Maybe, could be, perhaps I already had it," I don't know for sure and I'm still pretty scared/cautious. Even IF I did have it, I don't know for sure. I'm on the West coast, just a couple miles from the first U.S. outbreak. I think it's possible. I'll likely never know.

As far as the "deniers" - this is a heavy burden to carry, all of this. Lots of people have lost faith in government long before this happened. I think at some point it's pretty easy to get to the point of saying, "Well. This is happening. I can't control it. I'm not going to let it hold me back." I can see how that could be happening along with the fact it isn't killing large numbers of younger people.

Denial - as they say - it's not just a river in Egypt, it's a coping mechanism.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Now this is scary.

Tiger at NYC's Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

https://flip.it/3Pj6vX

That is concerning... People as vectors - weird when you think about it. I read an article earlier today about cats being able to become infected, but the study had only been on cats who were intentionally injected with the virus (which makes me mad). And the earlier articles about dogs being susceptible were concerning as well. I have two giant dogs, three cats, nine chickens... Ok. A zoo. I have a zoo. Anyway, the idea that we may be able to make our pets sick really bothers me.

Hope you're staying sane and aren't going too stir-crazy @Chef_Barbell.

People as vectors does sound weird. I read an article about viruses tonight. Part of the article is pasted below followed with some questions/thoughts that I have about SARS-CoV-2.

Are viruses alive? After more than 25 years of studying the tiny disease-carrying microbes, Michael Lai thinks so.
    “Viruses are very intelligent. They can think. They do things that we do not expect. They adapt to the environment. They change themselves in order to survive,” said Lai, professor of molecular microbiology and immunology and a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator.

The reason why some high school biology teachers might argue with his stance, Lai notes, is that a virus can be crystallized similar to nonliving matter. Plus, viruses depend on other living things to reproduce.

Viruses have ways to enter the human body (through the nasal passages, mouth, skin or via injection). Many have evolved defenses to help them evade the immune system. Viruses that cause infection in humans hold a “key” that allows them to unlock normal molecules (called viral receptors) on a human cell surface and slip inside.

Once in, viruses commandeer the cell’s nucleic acid and protein-making machinery, so that more copies of the virus can be made.......

One thing that has always interested me is how "intelligent" animals or any life form great or small seem to be and the the "why" of their existence.

SARS-CoV-2 has been around for a while most likely but it has recently gained the attention of the entire world and the greatest minds of our time. It is as if we hold SARS-CoV-2 with high regard and have made many posts about SARS-CoV-2 and the people leading the war on SARS-CoV-2 and we do a body count of those who lose their battle with SARS-CoV-2 and count those that survived the attack made by SARS-CoV-2.

We use SARS-CoV-2 as reasons to help people which we have never met. We use SARS-CoV-2 as reasons to attack people we have never met. SARS-CoV-2 is living rent free in our heads and must be calling the shots since we are trying to read its mind as to its next move like "let us guess how many of us that SARS-CoV-2 will kill tomorrow.

We agree that SARS-CoV-2 per satellite images has been helping Mother Nature clean up her home. Smog is dissipating, polluted streams are starting to run more clear. Wild animals are now seen walking some city streets.

We can clearly see we are not needed to fix the messes that we have made of nature. Clearly nature can fix everything once man is removed from the picture just fine by herself.

What would we do if we had to deal with both SARS-CoV-2 and locust at the same time as some of the least prepared peoples of the world are struggling with tonight.

Maybe Dotty Pardon is on to something when she talks about SARS-CoV-2 maybe is our wake-up call. SARS-CoV-2 is in the drivers seat tonight and like the feather in Forrest Gump tonight with us running around like a chicken after having its head chopped off.

Tonight who is in charge of the current events, the leaders of the known world or SARS-CoV-2? Does Man have dominion over the world tonight or it that just something our Ego made up long ago and we are still listening to that false narrative?
    We do not agree. The idea that we're seeing some kind of massive fix to the ecosystem actually comes from several false stories. Yes, as humans are indoors more, animals are outdoors more, but a lot of the images of them retake the planet are faked.

Pretty much any economic downturn involves reduced CO2 output. That's just a consequence of a CO2 based energy production in an global economy based on energy dependence. It isn't making the kind of structural changes that will actually avert the future problems truly looming out there.

Ultimately, these stories of Coronavirus being Gaia's immune system have a sick tendency to push people towards eugenic / Malthusian / Population control ideas, and then racism comes along and pushes it to the people making the problem are somehow the people over there. It is never, of course, the people in the countries consuming at up to 25x the per capita that are the problem, supposedly it is always those people with their numbers when despite their numbers, their countries are responsible for less of the pollution. Or even worse, a chunk of their pollution is done towards producing things sold to the people living at the 25x per capita consumption.

Thanks for agreeing with the other points in the post you quoted.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited April 2020
    Options

JS.

https://news.usc.edu/9791/researcher-teases-out-secrets-from-surprisingly-intelligent-viruses/

Researcher teases out secrets from surprisingly ‘intelligent’ viruses

@JustSomeEm above is a link to the source you requested. I like older articles because in the middle of any pandemic most articles on the subject may be more based on pop science sometimes. Glad you and your cat are fine. Maybe when this event is closer to the end/pause point you can get the drop of blood test to see if you have the antibodies that would prove you were dealing the same virus. I know I plan to do that. What boggles my mind is maybe half of us who have this virus are never aware of it and can be spreaders. After the tiger tested positive the other day we know it is cats as well as other animals.