Coronavirus prep

Replies

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Hon, I can't trill my "rr's" after 36 years in Italy. They still understand me. I still have an "American" accent. Don't let that hold you back from learning a language. If people can understand you, you're doing great. It's difficult to speak like a native, unless you've learned the language as a child. One thing we've noticed here is that Slavic language speakers, such as Polish, Russian, etc, learn to speak Italian even as adults with no accent. My husband is constantly amazed.

I had Spanish in high school, but it was a video class and we never actually had conversation time or someone to listen to correct our pronunciations. Coming out of those classes, I could read Spanish fairly well, write in it ok, but still couldn't really speak it or follow a conversation in it. And now that its been over 20 years ago, I can't even do those things any more lol

What is it about the Russian language that allows them to learn other languages flawlessly? I know, that's just my perception, but it does seem to me that they can learn how to sound like a native in a lot of other languages. It's like Germans who can speak American English just like a native, though I can at least get how Germans learn to do that - both languages are from the same root language, at least - but Russian and the other Slavic languages split from the Romance languages a very, very long time ago and are radically different, so I'm amazed at their ability, too alongside your husband!

I think it's just really specific to the person. I know Russians and other Eastern Europeans who speak English with barely an accent and others who have a strong accent, and similarly Germans in both categories (think of someone like Henry Kissinger who came here at 15, but had something of an accent always). I'd hoped German would be easier for me accent-wise than French, but so far not.

I grew in a bilingual family, Italian/ English. Sadly, we were not encouraged to become fluent in Italian as the generation before ours had immigrated and experienced discrimination. So, they viewed speaking Italian as something that identified you as an immigrant. But you couldn't help but pick up some by being around the older family members who spoke it amongst themselves or to my grandparents.

When I first moved to Mexico, I was told several times that my Spanish sounded like it had an Italian accent and not an English one. I guess because I was used to the similar pronunciations, that is just how it came out.

Over time I have been able to learn to speak Spanish with less of any accent and haven't gotten the Italian accent comment in a long while. Back in February, I performed a Jazz concert with accompanying musicians and a couple of the pieces were Spanish language pieces, 2 boleros, Un Poco Mas by Alvaro Carillo and Dos Gardenias, of Buena Vista Social Club fame, by Isolina Carillo (Odd that they had the same last name as they were not related. One being Mexican and the other Cuban.)

One of my Mexican friends came up to me after the concert and said, "The Spanish pieces were fabulous! You sang them without almost any accent!" :D

I think if you are musical and auditory and used to listening for the nuances of sounds and accents, it helps you to learn a language with a minimum of an accent. It takes practice and time but, if it is important to you, it can be done. It's just not that important to some people. For example, my wife is not musical or very auditory. She is more knowledgeable and fluent in Spanish than I am, but speaks with far more of an American English accent.

All that to say, I agree that it is specific to the person.

Your comment made me remember going to Italy on my honeymoon (my 3rd time, husband’s first), and having everyone I spoke to in Italian assume I was from Spain and husband was my “American friend” :lol: (I was in a PhD program in Spanish lit at the time, had studied abroad in Argentina and Peru, and conducted both classes I taught each semester 100% in Spanish, and spoke/wrote papers in Spanish with mostly Castilian professors 95% of the time for my own 3 classes/semester). I knew enough Italian to sub for my Italian colleagues teaching introductory/early intermediate, but my Spanish had far eclipsed my college Italian in pronunciation.

Ah well. I now teach my children Latin (Ecclesiastical pronunciation) with the same hybrid Spanish/Italian accent.

But truly, if you can make others understand you in another language, you should not be embarrassed at all. I’ve had ridiculous compliments on my French in addition to my Spanish and Italian, which I know is horrible, but I’m trying and am at least somewhat intelligible. Remember all of the non native English speakers you understand, despite their heavy accents. You and those non native speakers are thrilled you can communicate, accent be d&-‘Ned.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Back on topic... The US federal government now recommends face coverings when going outside. Quite the change.

Worries me a little bit. I'm still seeing way too many people just going about things as if they are on summer vacation...especially things like going to Walmart or Target just to get out of the house and browse. I'm hoping that this mask thing doesn't give more people a sense that it is ok to just be out an about because they have a mask on. I've already had a few people from work comment to me that if we have masks, we should just go back to work.

I guess it's different elsewhere. Here, people are wearing masks and still observing social distance. Some folks have to learn things the hard way sadly.

ETA- They specifically say that the masks are not meant to be a replacement for social distancing. Just in addition to. If people ignore that, it has nothing to do with masks. 🤷🏼‍♀️

It's only been a thing here for a few weeks and there were a lot of people that thought the governors response was over the top when we only had 3 cases...I thought it was very good and proactive but we've quickly gotten close to 600 now. Still, we are a very rural state and there are just a whole lot of people who think this is "city folk problems".

I'm interested to see how things play out in the rest of the country. I wonder how many states are going to take what happened here in NYC and learn and how many are just going to write it off as a "NY or city problem".

I mean just recently, the governor of GA didn't know that the virus could be spread by asymptomatic people.

Sadly, until it hits them like a hammer, some people just won't take action. The US saw what happened in China and Italy, but it seemed far away. This thing moves fast and silently.

Here, there is now talk that masks will be required--no surprise for me. My husband went to the pharmacy to buy some this morning. You had to buy a box of 50 for $50, after waiting in line half an hour. He said "I'll think about it". We found a box of 50 online for $17. We ordered them. A customer cannot enter in a pharmacy. They take your order at the door, bring it to you, you pay, and they bring your receipt. All the lines to buy anything here are OK as long as the weather is nice, when it starts raining it's going to be miserable.
    Dang, in Italy you can just buy masks at a pharmacy? And where are you finding them online?

I have ten masks which I bought in February because it was flu season and my doc made me go in for bloodwork. And they were impossible to find even then, because of the flu season - my pharmacist found some tucked behind some other stuff behind the counter. They are not available to buy locally now for any amount of money. Not that we are supposed to buy them even if they were. Only homemade masks, surgical and n95 reserved for health care professionals.

My son went on Amazon here in Italy yesterday. There was a large choice of masks. Ours are to arrive in 3 days.
  • snowflake954
    Back on topic... The US federal government now recommends face coverings when going outside. Quite the change.

Worries me a little bit. I'm still seeing way too many people just going about things as if they are on summer vacation...especially things like going to Walmart or Target just to get out of the house and browse. I'm hoping that this mask thing doesn't give more people a sense that it is ok to just be out an about because they have a mask on. I've already had a few people from work comment to me that if we have masks, we should just go back to work.

I guess it's different elsewhere. Here, people are wearing masks and still observing social distance. Some folks have to learn things the hard way sadly.

ETA- They specifically say that the masks are not meant to be a replacement for social distancing. Just in addition to. If people ignore that, it has nothing to do with masks. 🤷🏼‍♀️

It's only been a thing here for a few weeks and there were a lot of people that thought the governors response was over the top when we only had 3 cases...I thought it was very good and proactive but we've quickly gotten close to 600 now. Still, we are a very rural state and there are just a whole lot of people who think this is "city folk problems".

I'm interested to see how things play out in the rest of the country. I wonder how many states are going to take what happened here in NYC and learn and how many are just going to write it off as a "NY or city problem".

I mean just recently, the governor of GA didn't know that the virus could be spread by asymptomatic people.

Sadly, until it hits them like a hammer, some people just won't take action. The US saw what happened in China and Italy, but it seemed far away. This thing moves fast and silently.

Here, there is now talk that masks will be required--no surprise for me. My husband went to the pharmacy to buy some this morning. You had to buy a box of 50 for $50, after waiting in line half an hour. He said "I'll think about it". We found a box of 50 online for $17. We ordered them. A customer cannot enter in a pharmacy. They take your order at the door, bring it to you, you pay, and they bring your receipt. All the lines to buy anything here are OK as long as the weather is nice, when it starts raining it's going to be miserable.
    Dang, in Italy you can just buy masks at a pharmacy? And where are you finding them online?

I have ten masks which I bought in February because it was flu season and my doc made me go in for bloodwork. And they were impossible to find even then, because of the flu season - my pharmacist found some tucked behind some other stuff behind the counter. They are not available to buy locally now for any amount of money. Not that we are supposed to buy them even if they were. Only homemade masks, surgical and n95 reserved for health care professionals.

My son went on Amazon here in Italy yesterday. There was a large choice of masks. Ours are to arrive in 3 days.

The ones I looked at said they’re in stock but arrival April 24 to May 15. My husband is still working, essential employee. I’m going to try making some out of bandannas he’s never opened. 🤞🏻

I'd still order some anyway. You're going to need them if it becomes obligatory to wear them after lockdown. That's what they're saying here. Northern Italy will make masks obligatory in a couple of days, as soon as they can get enough in the pharmacies. After a downward trend new cases are up again today. Fewer patients in intensive care.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member

The ones I looked at said they’re in stock but arrival April 24 to May 15. My husband is still working, essential employee. I’m going to try making some out of bandannas he’s never opened. 🤞🏻

I'd still order some anyway. You're going to need them if it becomes obligatory to wear them after lockdown. That's what they're saying here. Northern Italy will make masks obligatory in a couple of days, as soon as they can get enough in the pharmacies. After a downward trend new cases are up again today. Fewer patients in intensive care.

I did order them, hoping they’d be shipped sooner. I’m just going to the grocery store, but husband’s going to work so he needs them more. They are highly recommending them now in the US. They have plexiglass shields up in the grocery store now, protecting cashiers and customers a bit more. I told the cashier, on Thursday, they should be suppling their workers with face masks. I think all businesses that require essential employees should provide protective gear. There’s just not enough to go around and people in contact with the actual cases should be, and are, priority. Not even enough for them. Very sad. A lot of deaths yesterday, especially in NYC.
  • snowflake954

I did order them, hoping they’d be shipped sooner. I’m just going to the grocery store, but husband’s going to work so he needs them more. They are highly recommending them now in the US. They have plexiglass shields up in the grocery store now, protecting cashiers and customers a bit more. I told the cashier, on Thursday, they should be suppling their workers with face masks. I think all businesses that require essential employees should provide protective gear. There’s just not enough to go around and people in contact with the actual cases should be, and are, priority. Not even enough for them. Very sad. A lot of deaths yesterday, especially in NYC.

All cashiers in our grocery stores have had to wear them for 3 weeks now because they are high risk. Last week all customers were required to wear masks also. Masks will become the new TP hoarding when people have to wear them. Our experts are saying that social distancing is not enough in many situations--grocery stores are an example. You need social distancing plus masks. If you want to see something interesting check out the experiments the Japanese are doing on how far the virus can travel, not just when coughing or sneezing, just just conversing with someone with a desk or table between. It's eyeopening and explains why so many people are infected so fast.