Coronavirus prep

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    edited July 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Why are some stores able to have a good supply of most everything on hand yet another store has bare shelves up the ying-yang? And the better stocked store is a family-owned group of 3 stores. This is why I find myself going more times to grocery stores and shopping 2 different places. :/ I also still try to shop the sales when I can which is why I go to the bigger less stocked chain store. :(

At least here grocery stores/chains have tight and often exclusive agreements with specific wholesale supply & logistics providers, which means that if their provider can't get the products for some reason, the store can't really get them either. Independent stores and chains often have more flexibility in who they can buy from, more possibilities to buy local produce etc.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Yesterday at Costco, dh said there was no tp, paper towels, cleaning wipes, or hand soap (except a gallon bottle for $30, which he decided wasn't worth it). Not sure if people are stocking up again anticipating shortages, or for the holiday weekend, or ??? To be honest, I wasn't out of things, but have decided to try to stock up a little since we are older.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Why are some stores able to have a good supply of most everything on hand yet another store has bare shelves up the ying-yang? And the better stocked store is a family-owned group of 3 stores. This is why I find myself going more times to grocery stores and shopping 2 different places. :/ I also still try to shop the sales when I can which is why I go to the bigger less stocked chain store. :(

I'm going to venture way outside my comfort zone today and go 20 miles to do some shopping for birthdays. :( But from what I've read of this little town, most of the small privately owned shops are refusing service if you're not wearing a mask, which makes me feel more comfortable. There are also stores such as Home Depot/Walmart/Lowes, etc. which I refuse to go into yet. I used to go there a couple x a month but haven't been since beginning of March. Kinda sad when you consider shopping 20 miles away from where you live an exciting trip. :)

I thought that about regions back in April when my state was one of the last to get TP again for some reason weeks after everyone else.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Since I no longer work for this company and no longer have a financial interest in it, I can now give links to their masks:
    FDA certified KN95: https://www.vitaldepot.com/products/fda-certified-kn95-face-mask
    N95 (just a few boxes of 20 left): https://www.vitaldepot.com/products/n95-face-mask-niosh-certified
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    OMG, I just read this quote..........."It's a lot easier to wear a mask than a ventilator"............TRUTH

I just read this article on line. It fits your posting.

A healthy 30-year-old man went to a crowded bar. He ended up in a hospital on a breathing tube https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/us/arizona-man-crowded-bar-covid-hospital/index.html
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I just read it's around 87% success rate versus the usual swabs at around 97-100% rate. The Sydney morning Herald said the 1st 100 test were done in Melbourne on Sunday and "We think it will play a role in bolstering testing reach across the state, particularly ... in vulnerable populations or in people who have trouble with the throat swab such as children or other individuals who find it more acceptable."

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/saliva-test-missing-about-13pc-of-covid-19-infections-early-studies-show-20200629-p557bh.html

I know this is a page or two back but I've been off line.

Anyway, sounds good - less accurate than nasal swabs but useful for general screening and for people who would not cope or co operate with nasal swabs - young children, people with dementia etc.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Testing is going to be an ongoing part of the "new normal", so it's good to know a simple more manageable test is available.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    LOL at your doctor husband wearing a superman mask. I'd like to switch to that doctor, please. :)