Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Yes, Gary. ;) It doesn't change the fact that a test will cost you $250.00 here. There is no such thing as a free test here and you will pay through the nose if you go to the emergency room.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    So, I don't get it... the CDC is right when it aligns with what people want to believe, but they are horribly misinformed when it goes against? ... or are we saying that we can't trust the CDC because their guidance is politically motivated?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html

COVID-19 and Children

The best available evidence indicates that COVID-19 poses relatively low risks to school-aged children. Children appear to be at lower risk for contracting COVID-19 compared to adults. To put this in perspective, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as of July 17, 2020, the United States reported that children and adolescents under 18 years old account for under 7 percent of COVID-19 cases and less than 0.1 percent of COVID-19-related deaths.[5] Although relatively rare, flu-related deaths in children occur every year. From 2004-2005 to 2018-2019, flu-related deaths in children reported to CDC during regular flu seasons ranged from 37 to 187 deaths. During the H1N1pandemic (April 15, 2009 to October 2, 2010), 358 pediatric deaths were reported to CDC. So far in this pandemic, deaths of children are less than in each of the last five flu seasons, with only 64.† Additionally, some children with certain underlying medical conditions, however, are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.*

Scientific studies suggest that COVID-19 transmission among children in schools may be low. International studies that have assessed how readily COVID-19 spreads in schools also reveal low rates of transmission when community transmission is low. Based on current data, the rate of infection among younger school children, and from students to teachers, has been low, especially if proper precautions are followed. There have also been few reports of children being the primary source of COVID-19 transmission among family members.[6],[7],[8] This is consistent with data from both virus and antibody testing, suggesting that children are not the primary drivers of COVID-19 spread in schools or in the community.[9],[10],[11] No studies are conclusive, but the available evidence provides reason to believe that in-person schooling is in the best interest of students, particularly in the context of appropriate mitigation measures similar to those implemented at essential workplaces.

402 new cases today in my county (some backlog coming through, I’m sure, but still). Biggest school system (county) just announced they are going all virtual until further notice. Apparently they had 80% of respondents decide on virtual anyway, but they had previously offered in person as an option. We will see if smaller towns follow suit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    edited July 2020
    I went to Memphis today - used to go around once per month or more and haven't since everything shut down. @rheddmobile and @gradchica27 maybe have more frequent insight, but on my one visit in a long time, I was pleased to see most people actually wearing masks in stores there and most were even wearing them properly. There were a few peekaboo noses, but far better compliance than where I live (about 80 miles north).

I ran a lot of miles and even saw a lot of people wearing masks outside when walking. I admit I wasn't wearing a mask when running either, because it was enough of a struggle already and when it is hot and humid, it does seem to make a difference when running as the mask gets soggy. I feel like I'm very out of shape, but that is another topic altogether. Anyway, while the park was pretty packed, I wasn't near people for more than a second if we even got within 6 feet because we were all moving.

Anyway, I also went for lunch at a buffet in what I would call a suburb of Memphis. They required masks when not sitting at the table eating. When we got up to go to the buffet, there were lines and we had to wait for the next available employee. They would grab a plate, go with me to get whatever food I wanted, and put it on the plate. When it was full, they handed the plate to me and we went to eat. I think the idea is to avoid everyone touching the serving spoons and stuff. The employees had masks and gloves. It wasn't terribly busy most of the time and I never really had to wait long for someone to help me. I was pleased to see that, when there was 1 employee in the buffet area and I came up to the empty line, the guy started helping me, but then stopped at one point as he noticed someone else walk into the buffet area without a mask. Drink were self-serve, and I think the desserts were self-serve (I didn't eat and didn't even ask, but they are individually platted). This guy had come over to the dessert area. The employee stopped helping me, went over, and reminded that customer to put his mask on, then came back over to finish plating mine. I am sure this would irritate some people, but I was glad to see that.

Anyway, today was a higher risk day, but it was refreshing to get a bit more outside of my immediate area for once.
    Interesting, I thought buffets were illegal in the county right now. I haven’t had the nerve to hit the main trails at Shelby Farms myself, the Tour de Wolf area was mostly what I would consider safe but the lake part was too crowded for me.

The low incidence of peekaboo noses is probably partly because the county mask law specifies that noses and mouth must be covered.

Yes, I am surprised anywhere is having buffets.

You can't have them where I live , even though we have almost no Covid cases now ( South Australia)

Restaurants are open but no buffets, no salad bars.

Presuming buffet isn't one of those words with slightly different meanings in other places??
    Here it means a table or servery of foods which people are jointly served from, or more often serve themselves from.
    As opposed to getting your individual meal plated and brought to your table.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    I went to Memphis today - used to go around once per month or more and haven't since everything shut down. @rheddmobile and @gradchica27 maybe have more frequent insight, but on my one visit in a long time, I was pleased to see most people actually wearing masks in stores there and most were even wearing them properly. There were a few peekaboo noses, but far better compliance than where I live (about 80 miles north).

I ran a lot of miles and even saw a lot of people wearing masks outside when walking. I admit I wasn't wearing a mask when running either, because it was enough of a struggle already and when it is hot and humid, it does seem to make a difference when running as the mask gets soggy. I feel like I'm very out of shape, but that is another topic altogether. Anyway, while the park was pretty packed, I wasn't near people for more than a second if we even got within 6 feet because we were all moving.

Anyway, I also went for lunch at a buffet in what I would call a suburb of Memphis. They required masks when not sitting at the table eating. When we got up to go to the buffet, there were lines and we had to wait for the next available employee. They would grab a plate, go with me to get whatever food I wanted, and put it on the plate. When it was full, they handed the plate to me and we went to eat. I think the idea is to avoid everyone touching the serving spoons and stuff. The employees had masks and gloves. It wasn't terribly busy most of the time and I never really had to wait long for someone to help me. I was pleased to see that, when there was 1 employee in the buffet area and I came up to the empty line, the guy started helping me, but then stopped at one point as he noticed someone else walk into the buffet area without a mask. Drink were self-serve, and I think the desserts were self-serve (I didn't eat and didn't even ask, but they are individually platted). This guy had come over to the dessert area. The employee stopped helping me, went over, and reminded that customer to put his mask on, then came back over to finish plating mine. I am sure this would irritate some people, but I was glad to see that.

Anyway, today was a higher risk day, but it was refreshing to get a bit more outside of my immediate area for once.
    Interesting, I thought buffets were illegal in the county right now. I haven’t had the nerve to hit the main trails at Shelby Farms myself, the Tour de Wolf area was mostly what I would consider safe but the lake part was too crowded for me.

The low incidence of peekaboo noses is probably partly because the county mask law specifies that noses and mouth must be covered.

You can't have them where I live , even though we have almost no Covid cases now ( South Australia)

Presuming buffet isn't one of those words with slightly different meanings in other places??
    Here it means a table or servery of foods which people are jointly served from, or more often serve themselves from.

Your ^South Australia" definition is the same as the US definition.

Yep I'm surprised anyplace is allowing them.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I have noticed a few people who wear their mask below their nose continually pushing their mask up. For those of you who wear masks with elastic around the ears, does the elastic sometimes stretch out? Or does one size fits all really not fit everyone? Just curious.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited July 2020
    On buffets, I think the risks are:
    1. People touching the same serving spoon and then touching food.
    2. People walking around and breathing on the food and each other.

#1 was managed by having only employees touching spoons and plates until you get the plate.
    #2 has been managed for years with sneeze guards and was further managed by having everyone wear masks and remain in a socially distanced line.

I don't see any more risk with how it was setup than a store. If there is some additional risk that someone sees with this setup, I am interested in exactly how that works.... how the virus would spread differently than a store. In fact, it is a bit lower risk than a store because a customer can touch a product on the shelf and not purchase that item. Same with touching credit card machine. In the buffet setup, nobody is touching anything that a second person then touches. So there is no risk that I touch something and put the virus on it, then you touch it and then touch your face. This risk still exists at stores.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    I have noticed a few people who wear their mask below their nose continually pushing their mask up. For those of you who wear masks with elastic around the ears, does the elastic sometimes stretch out? Or does one size fits all really not fit everyone? Just curious.

Can't speak for all masks, I use a cloth one. The cloth ones do not one-size-fit all. I have to use a paperclip to loop the elastic behind my head, perched on my ponytail to keep from falling down. I did just get some with toggles though, to tighten or shrink as needed. Got the same one for husband and I, he doesn't need to adjust at all, I had to ratchet the toggles in so far they are practically touching the fabric!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member

Of course, one size doesn't fit all. I can wear "one size fits most" KID sized masks (so no, they don't fit my kids). I can wear some "one size fits most" adult masks as well, but not others.

I tie knots in the kids if they need them. Here, masks are not required for kids under 10. The rare occasions they are out of the house, we socially distance them. I only use the masks if they are going to the doctor/dentist/etc - where we can't socially distance. They don't go to the store or anything.

I have enough masks I just wear ones that don't slip down. I've tried several styles, my favorite is the gaiter style with ear loops. I don't like the kid that put pressure on my chin, it irritates my TMJ because I subconsciously apply counterpressure to the mask (I guess in my subconscious I think I have to in order to keep a good connection) I've tried to train myself out of this habit but it's subconscious, I can't help it. Having a neck gaiter solves the problem.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

Just saw a news story today that Utah (western U.S.) is allowing regular buffets to reopen, with a requirement that customers wear masks in the buffet lines and use hand sanitizer before entering each area of the buffet. Access to plates and utensils are controlled by employees, so customers can't touch one plate and decide to pick up a different one. And employees change out the serving spoons, tongs, etc., every 30 minutes.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

The first couple of cloth masks I had did not fit me at all. I have a small head? Anyway, I had to use a hair band to tie the ear loops together in the back so they wouldn't fall down.

Now I have masks with adjustable ear loops. They are awesome and fit nice and snug.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

The big advantage is they fit in one's pocket and the mask police will be less stressed. If the pleats on the side open up it is a little easier to breath. I see some that look more functional for sure. Not sure why some have a vent hole valve.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member

The big advantage is they fit in one's pocket and the mask police will be less stressed. If the pleats on the side open up it is a little easier to breath. I see some that look more functional for sure. Not sure why some have a vent hole valve.

ROFL. Some people have more hot air than others. Long-winded.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Now I have masks with adjustable ear loops. They are awesome and fit nice and snug.

I prefer the adjustable sliding toggle ear loops as well, way better fit.

I never thought I would be glad to have a slightly long nose but it does seem to make mask wearing easier. The only issue I have is a bit of upward creep towards my eyes if I have it on for a while.