Coronavirus prep

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    They're giving out flu shots at the rodeo grounds. Loading UP the folkaronies so we can get one. We still don't have any green tea in the box or bottle. The numbers have been increasing all around us. Death is hitting the 40, 50 and 60 year olds. Sturgis is a good guess. Born to be wild. B) Did you get your flu shots yet? Just wondering.

I get a lot of my teas through Amazon. Or Walmart online. I used to drink tea by the dang case, so bulk purchasing was always better for me. I have seen some of the SD numbers and they are startling.

Haven't got my flu shot yet but I do intend on it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    10 Tennessee Titans personnel, tested positive for Corona. They and the Vikings (played each other this past Sunday)closed their practice facilities. The NFL want the game on Sunday to go on as scheduled. No fans attended Sunday’s game in Minneapolis. Just a matter of time before it spreads.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,780 Member
    I think our only hope for the near term is the thing mutates to be contagious to humans anymore. :'(
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    They're giving out flu shots at the rodeo grounds. Loading UP the folkaronies so we can get one. We still don't have any green tea in the box or bottle. The numbers have been increasing all around us. Death is hitting the 40, 50 and 60 year olds. Sturgis is a good guess. Born to be wild. B) Did you get your flu shots yet? Just wondering.

I am getting mine tomorrow at the doctors office, my husband already got his last week. Both paid my medicare and health insurance.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    My kids come home from college for a couple months at Thanksgiving, and I was planning on getting a flu shot 2-3 weeks before that. They are my biggest exposure, as I'm not going anywhere these days. DH was planning on first week October.

Saw my GP today for shoulder problem (easily could have been a 5 min phone call vs. office visit, grrr). Anyway, he asked if I had gotten a flu shot and I told him my 2-3 week before Thanksgiving plan and he nodded, didn't challenge the logic. Also gently chided me for several routine screenings I had been procrastinating for years before Covid hit, but that's a different topic.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2020

It seems that they think either the numbers are being underreported or that the TB Vaccine has helped. There was another article posted a while back on this same topic (about the TB Vaccine or the BCG Vaccine). It makes sense to me, but again, I'm not a scientist.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/health/tb-bcg-vaccine-coronavirus-study/index.html

There was a CA company doing a long term study on Fibromyalgia with the BCG Vaccine. A few of my scientist buddies on Linkedin were wondering aloud if the BCG vaccine might have any effect on preventing Covid-19 and were looking for data points. I actually introduced them to the CSO/Founder from the company (EpicGenics) that is doing the pilot study on women with Fibromyalgia that have been on the BCG vaccine for a couple of years. Now, obviously, I'm not privy to knowing what they are finding out, if anything.

I believe that Fibro, in part, is caused by a T cell imbalance. And EpicGenics theory, in short, at least for Fibro, was that the BCG Vaccine would help restore the ability of the T cells to fight off inflammation. Somehow though, they also believed that women with Fibromyalgia, though more prone to getting inflammation, were also ironically less prone to having bad outcomes with Covid-19. I hope I'm getting that right. Something to do with Th1 or Th2 dominance. I'm guessing that they are all thinking that the BCG vaccine is an immune modulator, meaning it will restore you to a better balance of T Cells, helping fight off the worst outcomes. If I'm butchering this, I apologize in advance.

But the influence of that old TB vaccine on T cells has been getting close attention. Perhaps as another layer of protection it might see some application, but with them being so close on a Covid-19 specific vaccine, likely not.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    This thing seems like a cluster of diseases. Rheumatic fever, TB, SARS, EBV. How long does a TB vax last. Does that mean we'll need a booster if it's been longer than 15 years. :|
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    This thing seems like a cluster of diseases. Rheumatic fever, TB, SARS, EBV. How long does a TB vax last. Does that mean we'll need a booster if it's been longer than 15 years. :|

Not an area where I'm well informed, but I think the point is related to a specific TB vax (BCG), not to just any TB vax. I don't know, but would suspect that there have been various TB vaxes over the decades, maybe even multiples currently.
  • Diatonic12
    I figured but still hoping there's a remnant of something useful from the old one. Did we already talk about breathing treatments offering some form of protection several months ago. I'm asking for those I take care of.
  • MikePfirrman
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Not an area where I'm well informed, but I think the point is related to a specific TB vax (BCG), not to just any TB vax. I don't know, but would suspect that there have been various TB vaxes over the decades, maybe even multiples currently.

Yeah, that's my understanding too. That you'd have to be an old-timer like me to have even had the BCG vaccine and it's not that common any longer in the US. And I have absolutely no idea how long its effects would last. At some point, it was put on the shelf in the US and used more commonly, by among others, The Gates Foundation, in 3rd and 2nd world countries, like Africa. I assume that it's cheaper and TB is more prevalent there, since that's mostly what Gates' foundation has focused on is elimination of easily preventable disease in poorer areas.
  • Diatonic12
    I read they last an average of 15 years.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Oh, and I would like to add something I heard and am curious what response you all might have.

I was listening to a podcast, and the topic was the worst food one can consume during COVID times. (The positive qualities of green tea made me remember hearing this.) The food was fructose was the worst, and the claim was that fructose forms and "armor like coating" around the COVID virus and protects it. I have never heard this even once, but wondering what anyone else might have heard.
  • MikePfirrman
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Oh, and I would like to add something I heard and am curious what response you all might have.

I was listening to a podcast, and the topic was the worst food one can consume during COVID times. (The positive qualities of green tea made me remember hearing this.) The food was fructose was the worst, and the claim was that fructose forms and "armor like coating" around the COVID virus and protects it. I have never heard this even once, but wondering what anyone else might have heard.

Welcome to our hopefully keep the sanity group. Just a funny thing, I'm drinking a canned Green Tea I picked up at the store on Saturday with fructose (well, part of it anyway, with honey).

All of your concerns are very typical for everyone here.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Hey all, Jumping in and we'll see what I can add to the conversation.

Flu shot - got mine last friday. At the exit door of my Stop and Shop, there was a station all set up with a nurse and no one in line. I was done in under 5 minutes. I had been planning to make an appointment at walgreens, but I grabbed the opportunity. Hubby has a walgreens apt tomorrow.

COVID - I am so sick of this virus. I hate what it is doing to everyone - from people being medically damaged, financially damaged, psychologically damaged. I am a new-ish grandma and I hate that I have rarely touched my grandson since his birth last January. Likewise, my parents have become virtual hermits. They seem relatively happy despite this, but eating and watching TV have been their main activities these months and I worry that that is shortening their life expectancy another way. At the same time that I hear the devastating stories of some who are effected, the 3 (likely 4) positive friends have had literally nothing as their symptoms (one had headache eventual loss of smell, second had headache and was a "bit tired", third had "some phlegm", the likely 4th had the same headache as his wife a few days earlier). I think some of the societal difficulties with this disease is the disparity in its impact. If every single infected individual became equally sick, maybe rules and compliance would be less of an issue.

Holidays, travel and family responsibilities - Again, I hate Covid. I am sitting here in limbo trying to figure out how to do everything right. Right meaning safe, kind to others, and kind to myself and my husband. For starters, my MIL has been a widow for almost a year. Though, she lives alone, she is still our responsibility. We all primarily live in Mass. and she up here now, but her preferred home is Florida. She cannot travel alone. So hubby will be flying to florida with her Oct 15. Opening her home and getting her set up safely and then exposing himself to fly back home. THEN, do I quarentine him???? Should my MIL quarantine in Florida??? (which we know she will not, as we could not control her up here either) Then comes Thanksgiving. Do we? Don't we? If we do, who do we include and who gets excluded and the repercussions. Then Xmas, it repeats. Somewhere along the way, hubby and I would like to use the Florida condo we purchased in 2019. But if we go down, how does one fly up for "brief" visits with the kids and grandkids? That is certainly not happening as everyone will make us quarentine 14 days even if we had only planned to visit 3 days.

COVID vaccine - Boy my moods swing. One minute I have the urge to contract COVID just to get it over with and live with the repercussions. Then of course I don't because that is stupid. Then the vaccine, I have been in the "not me" camp. Then I got the flu shot friday and my mood shifted and now I am thinking "take the d@mn shot and get it over with". I have no idea what I will do once the opportunity comes my way.

I could go on and on and I'd fill your thread.

Anyhow, some very interesting writings here. I'll try and catch up!

I think we are all in the same position. Just do your best and talk to your loved ones more often on the phone (if unable to do so person-to-person) is the best advice I can give. :)
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Just a funny thing, I'm drinking a canned Green Tea I picked up at the store on Saturday with fructose (well, part of it anyway, with honey).

The green tea and fructose can battle it out. But preferably, you won't have to test either claim. :)