Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    My relative tested negative but had a high fever for 10 days with the other common symptoms. Her doctor told her she clearly had it regardless of the negative result. The tests results are all over the place. Her results took almost a week to come back. It was the hottest part of the summer and how are those tests sent/stored. Surely everything is not in pristine condition when it arrives at the lab. If they lay around at the post office, only the Shadow knows. B)

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,858 Member
    Options
    @Diatonic12 If you look at those article I linked, it would help you see how possible that could be even without the added potential impact of summer heat/storage.
  • SModa61
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Donald Trump and his wife test positive for Covid-19.

Wow, just one more dynamic added to this already crazy election.

I'm sure they will be fine as he has access to levels of treatment that most people don't.

But 1 month from Election Day, quarantine for 14 days, so no campaigning around the country. They will have medical attention most people don’t receive, but no one is immune and he’s in the age group for risk factor.

Yes, but can do some speaking from quarantine. Here's what bothers me: They found out about Hope Hicks testing positive as Marine One was taking off yesterday to head to Air Force One and go to a fundraiser. At that time, they took several people off Marine One because they had been in contact with Ms. Hicks. However, several others had been in close contact with her (including the President) and continued on to the fundraiser. Why? I'm not convinced they will take quarantine seriously.

I would agree with you, but the only other factor could be the frequency of President Trump's testing. If I heard correctly today, he was negative yesterday morning. Do correct me if I heard wrong.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

I'm sure they will be fine as he has access to levels of treatment that most people don't.

But 1 month from Election Day, quarantine for 14 days, so no campaigning around the country. They will have medical attention most people don’t receive, but no one is immune and he’s in the age group for risk factor.

Yes, but can do some speaking from quarantine. Here's what bothers me: They found out about Hope Hicks testing positive as Marine One was taking off yesterday to head to Air Force One and go to a fundraiser. At that time, they took several people off Marine One because they had been in contact with Ms. Hicks. However, several others had been in close contact with her (including the President) and continued on to the fundraiser. Why? I'm not convinced they will take quarantine seriously.

I would agree with you, but the only other factor could be the frequency of President Trump's testing. If I heard correctly today, he was negative yesterday morning. Do correct me if I heard wrong.

We’ve all heard of false negatives and positives. We know that in the beginning the close contact in planes and cruise ships helped quickly spread the disease. I realize that Air Force One is a huge plane, but just think of all the people he’s been in close contact with this week, all over the country, including our other presidential candidate. Biden and his wife tested negative today, but who knows what tomorrow brings.

I’m not convinced of the timing of the acknowledgment that he and the First Lady tested positive. In the middle of the night? The President of the United States, when one of his closest aids had tested positive.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

He gets the Abbott rapid test daily, which is why I'm surprised he was showing symptoms starting Wed. night and yet continued to test negative. MSNBC had someone on that says the rapid tests have a 3 in 10 false negative rate, which is very high. Yet I thought the rapid testing had a high false positive rate. Is it just false in general?!

ETA: After Gov. DeWine had a false positive from the rapid test before meeting with Trump, I'm sure he got a PCR test to be certain before releasing that he is positive.

ETA again: Sorry, PCR is the rapid test... the antigen test is what I mean. The slow test...

Also, saw something, I think from MIT, that says the rapid test has 100% false negative on day 1 of infection, down to 67% false negative on day 4, and down to 38% false negative rate when symptoms begin.
  • SModa61
    Options

He gets the Abbott rapid test daily, which is why I'm surprised he was showing symptoms starting Wed. night and yet continued to test negative. MSNBC had someone on that says the rapid tests have a 3 in 10 false negative rate, which is very high. Yet I thought the rapid testing had a high false positive rate. Is it just false in general?!

ETA: After Gov. DeWine had a false positive from the rapid test before meeting with Trump, I'm sure he got a PCR test to be certain before releasing that he is positive.

ETA again: Sorry, PCR is the rapid test... the antigen test is what I mean. The slow test...

Also, saw something, I think from MIT, that says the rapid test has 100% false negative on day 1 of infection, down to 67% false negative on day 4, and down to 38% false negative rate when symptoms begin.

Just heard the "on the hour" news in the car, what they had said is that Hope Hicks developed symptoms Wednesday night, she then tested positive yesterday morning and President Trump tested positive last night. I've have not heard any mention of President Trump having Wednesday symptoms, but of course different sources may have different info.

As for PCR vs Antigen, I just looked things up. ALL antigen tests are "rapid" tests (within an hour), while molecular tests, which PCR is one of them, can be same day or up to a week, depending on the test. Molecular is deemed "highly accurate", but you and I both read the MIT article that implies differently to me. Antigen - "Positive results are usually highly accurate but negative results may need to be confirmed with a molecular test."

As for DeWine, I don't think I followed what you were saying about a "false" positive rapid test if you are saying that he released that he was positive. Wouldn't that mean the rapid test was correct. I'm sure I am missing something. :p
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

We’ve all heard of false negatives and positives. We know that in the beginning the close contact in planes and cruise ships helped quickly spread the disease. I realize that Air Force One is a huge plane, but just think of all the people he’s been in close contact with this week, all over the country, including our other presidential candidate. Biden and his wife tested negative today, but who knows what tomorrow brings.

I’m not convinced of the timing of the acknowledgment that he and the First Lady tested positive. In the middle of the night? The President of the United States, when one of his closest aids had tested positive.

I would take that as either an extra test, outside of his/their normal daily testing, as a result of Hope Hicks's testing positive, or if his normal test is at the end of the day, this might have been a late return to the White House and only getting tested then -- I think he had traveled to a rally yesterday. Then once the test came back, probably 30 minutes or so of dithering and vetting a press statement to reveal the news. No need to try to attribute the timing to some vague, suspicious thing.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Since people are still dying in hospitals from this disease everyday, I think your assurance is a little counter to reality, especially for an overweight man in his 70s. Yes, he's still more likely than not going to have a mild case, and more likely than not going to survive if he has a bad case, but just being rich and powerful isn't a charm against bad outcomes.

Sorry for quoting myself, but it's the most recent post on this sub-topic.

According to the president's physician, the diagnosis has been confirmed with a PCR test and he has been administered "a single 8 gram dose of Regeneron's polyclonal antibody cocktail. He completed the infusion without incident. In addition to the polyclonal antibodies, the President has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin, and a daily aspirin."
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options

Since people are still dying in hospitals from this disease everyday, I think your assurance is a little counter to reality, especially for an overweight man in his 70s. Yes, he's still more likely than not going to have a mild case, and more likely than not going to survive if he has a bad case, but just being rich and powerful isn't a charm against bad outcomes.

According to the president's physician, the diagnosis has been confirmed with a PCR test and he has been administered "a single 8 gram dose of Regeneron's polyclonal antibody cocktail. He completed the infusion without incident. In addition to the polyclonal antibodies, the President has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin, and a daily aspirin."

So famotidine, which is an antihistamine. Interesting. Not that familiar with the Regeneron antibody cocktail.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

Where did you find this info? I searched and didn’t find anything but a refusal to say whether he would get the antibody treatment.

Edit: nvm, found it.

Interesting because if you are not the president or in a drug trial you cannot get regeneron.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Here's more information on that. I wasn't familiar at all with that antibody cocktail. Seems it's meant to lessen the rapid spread of the virus.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/regeneron-says-its-covid-antibody-treatment-reduces-viral-levels-improves-n1241414
  • SModa61
    Options

I would take that as either an extra test, outside of his/their normal daily testing, as a result of Hope Hicks's testing positive, or if his normal test is at the end of the day, this might have been a late return to the White House and only getting tested then -- I think he had traveled to a rally yesterday. Then once the test came back, probably 30 minutes or so of dithering and vetting a press statement to reveal the news. No need to try to attribute the timing to some vague, suspicious thing.

I totally agree. He did travel to a rally and return to the white house yesterday evening.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    He is being hospitalized in Walter Reed, where he is supposed to be there for few days.

President Trump heading to Walter Reed hospital hours after COVID-19 diagnosis
    Courtney Subramanian
    David Jackson
    USA TODAY

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump was headed to the hospital Friday after he and first lady Melania Trump tested positive for COVID-19, raising fresh questions about the president's health.

Trump, 74, was going to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, in what aides said was a precautionary move. Officials said they expected him to be there for a few days.

Trump was expected to travel by helicopter to the hospital, which is about 9 miles away from the White House.

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said the president "remains in good spirits, has mild symptoms, and has been working throughout the day." Out of an abundance of caution, and at the recommendation of his physician and medical experts, the President will be working from the presidential offices at Walter Reed for the next few days.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/10/02/trump-heads-walter-reed-hospital-after-positive-covid-19-test/5894256002/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/10/02/trump-tests-positive-coronavirus-reader-questions-answers/5893893002/