Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,852 Member
    @ReenieHJ

full disclosure, though I think of myself as close to centrist, I likely lean more right than left. That being said, I wear my mask in any public space, if not for myself then out of respect for others

Seatbelts, yes, I used to be terrible about them. The turning point was when my kids were getting their drivers licenses, and then I became religious about them just as I expected them to. Now I feel naked without them and am often searching for a seatbelt in places like a movie theater as well (not recently of course). The funny extreme about cars is I remember being loaded loose into the back end of a station wagon to fit more kids in a car. The current extreme, that I have a harder time with, is the weight required for booster seats. My kids were petite. My son would have been in a booster seat in Middle school. He got harassed enough without that.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I think most of us have our favorite supplements but polymorphism in the human genome vary from person to person so while a specific supplement may be helpful for some people yet do nothing for another. I think most any food/supplement shown to increase life health span can be positive when dealing with Covid-19 since we are coming to understand there often are known or unknown health risks that lead to getting/dying from Covid-19. Sadly not everyone takes a deadly disease like Covid-19 seriously. UK almost lost their head of state very early in this pandemic. Locally the number of Covid-19 positive tests are over the top of past numbers but unlike back in March news reports only cover the number of positive test results.
  • SModa61
    The fact, that most everyone, or even anyone, changed their mind about covid, as a virus, how it spreads, treatment, etc, from what it was in the beginning, shows how little was known. Most reasonable people will agree, social distancing, face coverings and hand washing, helps reduce the spread. Recent events show this to be true. How much more proof does anyone need, until there is safe effective treatment and a safe vaccine?

I totally agree. I just want that applied equally to all of us. :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman Very interesting, so apparently that drug has multiple uses or is being used off label. Very interesting to see the doctor's selections and the "why's". I am hoping that your logical assumption, that they are treating aggressively due to rapid COVID progression, is wrong. I'm hoping they are just trying to get ahead of what "could happen". Time will tell.

Or he was already taking all those other drugs for typical reasons before the COVID diagnosis. The announcement said he "has been" taking them, which in ordinary usage is somewhat vague but more compatible with his taking them for longer than two days since diagnosis, as is the reference to a "daily" aspirin.
    In addition to the polyclonal antibodies, the President has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin, and a daily aspirin.

Lynn, I had interpreted the meds the same as you, and without spotting the past tense word like you, I had assumed that the famotidine, melatonin and aspirin were part his pre-Covid daily supplements as they looked like ones an older overweight person might need. While Mike, on the other hand has Covid related explanations for each which were rather interesting. Not sure that in the short run, we will be told their purposes.

I have no special experience and I'm not a scientist. But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn.

Seriously, Lynn may certainly be right. I have read that both Melatonin and the H2 blocker (some believe) have therapeutic effects. I'm guessing that they were given by his in house docs. But I do believe Lynn that he's directing his own healthcare advice. Certainly a possibility with him. A man that believes he knows better than Fauci on this disease, who has long been considered the most authoritative person on infectious diseases in the US, would certainly think he's smarter than the docs at Walter Reed.

I think there's a good chance you're both right. It could be that first list of medications/supplements was a list he was taking both for other health indications AND as covid preventative. And they had hoped it would keep him asymptomatic once he tested positive. Unfortunately we are getting info from multiple sources with varying levels of expertise, so who the heck knows? I'm not going to comment on his condition any further to avoid veering into off-limits territory.
  • SModa61
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @ReenieHJ

full disclosure, though I think of myself as close to centrist, I likely lean more right than left. That being said, I wear my mask in any public space, if not for myself then out of respect for others

Seatbelts, yes, I used to be terrible about them. The turning point was when my kids were getting their drivers licenses, and then I became religious about them just as I expected them to. Now I feel naked without them and am often searching for a seatbelt in places like a movie theater as well (not recently of course). The funny extreme about cars is I remember being loaded loose into the back end of a station wagon to fit more kids in a car. The current extreme, that I have a harder time with, is the weight required for booster seats. My kids were petite. My son would have been in a booster seat in Middle school. He got harassed enough without that.

Speaking generically, there's a difference between changing one's mind based on new evidence (even old evidence to which the individual in question is newly exposed), and changing one's mind because of whim, popularity (in the face of counter-evidence), pecuniary advantage, peer pressure, or that sort of thing.

Some people learn, and change their opinions. Personally, I respect that . . . even among politicians. Some people don't utilize learning in this way, but change opinions out of - essentially - lack of character. It's not always obvious which is in play in a given case, of course.

well stated
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @ReenieHJ

Speaking generically, there's a difference between changing one's mind based on new evidence (even old evidence to which the individual in question is newly exposed), and changing one's mind because of whim, popularity (in the face of counter-evidence), pecuniary advantage, peer pressure, or that sort of thing.

Some people learn, and change their opinions. Personally, I respect that . . . even among politicians. Some people don't utilize learning in this way, but change opinions out of - essentially - lack of character. It's not always obvious which is in play in a given case, of course.

Yeah I feel like it's been very clear the whole time that the initial directive against masks was based on fear it woul divert PPE from HC workers, and the possibility covid was highly aerosolized and masking would give a false sense of security.

Once it was clearer that covid mostly traveled in larger droplets, and the cloth mask "industry" was flourishing, they reversed course and apologized for the confusion. Anyone whose still harping on early advice is just being stubborn. This is how science works when faced with something unknown. You start out with educated guesses and keep correcting yourself as more and more data becomes available. They couldn't be expected to get everything right on day 1, the fact that they are willing to correct themselves should instill more confidence, not less :smile:

Indeed.

The desire to believe a thing is really powerful, even in the face of evidence. It can be dangerous, can interfere with learning.

A thing I like - and there aren't many - about stupid political memes on social media is that when I find myself reacting with high emotion, it's like a giant flashing arrow pointing at one of my biases. 🤣
  • SModa61
    Ok, different topic and I am curious. Does anyone have the science behind the why africa has such low COVID numbers?
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Ok, different topic and I am curious. Does anyone have the science behind the why africa has such low COVID numbers?

According to this article, it leans towards populations already having SARS-CoV-2 and other related antibodies: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/pandemic-appears-have-spared-africa-so-far-scientists-are-struggling-explain-why
  • SModa61
    oocdc2 wrote: »

According to this article, it leans towards populations already having SARS-CoV-2 and other related antibodies: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/pandemic-appears-have-spared-africa-so-far-scientists-are-struggling-explain-why

@oocdc2 Thank you for sharing the article but confused by your statement. If I replace "it" and SARS-CoV-2" with their replacement noun "COVID", you would have written "COVID leans towards populations already having COVID". I am guessing I am missing what you were saying. :)